cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

m.2 in Dimm.2 problem

f0r3s7
Level 7
Hi guys,
As i`m still new to m.2 and this is my first ROG product and i need a bit of help as I cant find answer anywhere and everything that i have watched and read doesn't help me to solve the problem that i have, so there it is:
I have Maximus 11 Extreme board and for the first time i`m using m.2 drive which is Samsung 860 EVO 1Tb. For some reason cant make the drive to appear in the BIOS. I have installed it on the Dimm.2 slot with the riser card. I have 4 other sata drives which runs fine but for some reason the m.2 making me problems.
I will appreciate any help with it because i don`t know what to do anymore.
I`m using the latest 0602 Bios from ASUS.
Thank you all in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
Enabled in bios?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi
i am having the same problem, where in bios???????
Ta

HiVizMan
Level 40
CPU PCIE COnfiguration Mode.

In Advanced options

You can select to have Dimm 2.1 enabled or to have both Dimm 2.1 and dimm 2.2 enabled. Selecting the first option does cause the Pcie lane for your VGA to run at 8x by the way.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
CPU PCIE COnfiguration Mode.

In Advanced options

You can select to have Dimm 2.1 enabled or to have both Dimm 2.1 and dimm 2.2 enabled. Selecting the first option does cause the Pcie lane for your VGA to run at 8x by the way.

Where does it say selecting Dimm 2.1 will set the PCIE to run at 8X?

So there is no way to run the Dimm.2 riser card with a single M.2 and have the PCIE at 16x?

MorePower wrote:
Where does it say selecting Dimm 2.1 will set the PCIE to run at 8X?

So there is no way to run the Dimm.2 riser card with a single M.2 and have the PCIE at 16x?

I know this is a while back but hope this can help others:
Yes you can still run PCIE at 16x, your first slot or the third. This applies only to the 4th X16 slot PCIX8_4 on the R6E, check your motherboard documentation for others.

In the case of the Rampage VI Extreme, the PCIE slot number 4 lanes are shared with the DIMM.2 (& U.2 slot btw). Your options are:
- PCIE #4 slot running at 8X and DIMM.2 #2 (M.2_2) disabled
- PCIE #4 slot running at 4X and DIMM.2 #2 (M.2_2) enable (available)

You set this option in Advanced Menu -> PCIEx8_4 bandwidth configuration. Set the option to AUTO will make the M.2_2 available when it is populated.

Also, since you are on that page, make sure the option right above it "M2_1(DIMM.2) source selection" is set to [from CPU] as your first M.2 (M.2_1) drive will run substantially faster if you choose that option. I saw an improvement on my R6Efrom 2.2GB/sec from PCH to 3.5GB/sec from CPU on a Samsung 960 Pro) . The U.2 port will be disabled, but who uses that anyways 😉

NOTE: For this to all work, your processor needs to be a 44-Lanes processor, that's a 7900X and above or 9800 or above for the 9-series.

Hope this helps.

olivieraaa wrote:
I know this is a while back but hope this can help others:
Yes you can still run PCIE at 16x, your first slot or the third. This applies only to the 4th X16 slot PCIX8_4 on the R6E, check your motherboard documentation for others.

In the case of the Rampage VI Extreme, the PCIE slot number 4 lanes are shared with the DIMM.2 (& U.2 slot btw). Your options are:
- PCIE #4 slot running at 8X and DIMM.2 #2 (M.2_2) disabled
- PCIE #4 slot running at 4X and DIMM.2 #2 (M.2_2) enable (available)

You set this option in Advanced Menu -> PCIEx8_4 bandwidth configuration. Set the option to AUTO will make the M.2_2 available when it is populated.

Also, since you are on that page, make sure the option right above it "M2_1(DIMM.2) source selection" is set to [from CPU] as your first M.2 (M.2_1) drive will run substantially faster if you choose that option. I saw an improvement on my R6Efrom 2.2GB/sec from PCH to 3.5GB/sec from CPU on a Samsung 960 Pro) . The U.2 port will be disabled, but who uses that anyways 😉

NOTE: For this to all work, your processor needs to be a 44-Lanes processor, that's a 7900X and above or 9800 or above for the 9-series.

Hope this helps.

It would help if the OP had a Rampage VI MOBO but he’s running a M11E

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein