Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Hmm, my current specs are I7 2600K @ 4.8GHz with a nVidia 580 SLI, with a current rendering going on at the moment all 4 cores are maxed at 100% and straining. The X79 platform would be the only way to lower the strain on the cores.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Ah I understand, which software do you render in and is it optimised for additional cores/threads?
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Im currently using 3ds max for rendering mainly, im also hoping to get back into gaming after 2 years of not doing it.

Shut Up Stupid! Array DaemonCantor's Avatar

Sorry it took so long to get back but I had to do some digging on your problem. With 3Ds Max it is optimized for Multi-GPU Cores not CPU Cores you'll get a lot better performance going with a Workstation Class Card than Upgrading your Motherboard/CPU. The difference comes into it as 3Ds Max has the ability to access More and Special features that are only in the Workstation Card and isn't present in the Desktop Video Card. Take a look at this page, it has 2 video's dealing with your problem from ATI themselves. http://icrontic.com/article/the-real...d-desktop-gpus

ROG Member Array

I can see where you are coming from with the workstation side but the problem is im using 3DS Max for games character rendering and design. Those GPU's aren't made for gaming mainly. Hence i chose the X79 platform to be on, Its midway between gaming and workstation.

(Abit off topic but is it just me are all the navigation bars at the top constantly down? Makes it hard to enter captcha?)

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

The call is yours to make, but I stress the X79 platform is not as simple as a one button overclock. The clock for clock gains will be less than 7% and as I have said unless you have top cooling and are willing to spend the time finding the optimal set-up 4.8GHz is not a given.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Would the bulldozer cpu's help here? 8 cores for less than the x79 platform?

It doesn't matter one bit if your rendering a Toon for a game or your rendering a New Space Shuttle, Rendering is Rendering and it take certain resources that are not in the Desktop Version. Now if you want the best of both worlds would be to get a second system setup just for your work and keep the first for the end result to see how it works there. Believe it not Most of the Developers do have a Work Unit and a Test unit just so they can get the Data they need to work all aspects.

ROG Member Array

Hmm.. Im going to look into the Intel Xeon cpu's and the PNY QUADRO cards. They seam to be what might help me here.

To put it blunt, Yes they would... sorry Graphics is expensive as all get out when you get really deep into it... There's Motor Home that Tourers the Country going from School to School teaching High School Students about Graphics and the industry. That Motor Home cost roughly $60,000 in Computers alone and they only have 4 computers in there. 1 Desktop and 3 Workstations. Now with an Open Mind look at the Mac Pro's, you can get one with up to 16 Xeon Cores and then all you'd need is the PNY Cards to go into it... It's just a thought and yes the Mac's will run Windows Natively so your not stuck with only Mac OS.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast