cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Hyper x16 Raid0 4 x Samsung Evo 970 500Gb ( non-bootable ) Game Drive

GhostWorks
Level 9
Would Raid0 work with Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb x4 on the Hyper x16 with a Intel VROC standard key or without VROC key on a RAmpage VI Extreme or Asus WS x299 Sage/10G anyone had issue's that i may expect
Corsair 900D
12 REPLIES 12

JustinThyme
Level 13
A lot of info in the earlier posts in this section when the R6E was first rolling out. Been awhile but I do recall I attempted it and ended up returning the hyperXboard mostly because it was all hyper, not much of anything else. I could not get third party drives to work. Intel drives ll day and part of tomorrow. May have better luck with the SAGE. Third party drives require commercial licenses and keys. Only endeavor I saw that worked was a member used 900P 2.5 inch drives with M2 adaptors with impressive results but card had to be stripped down and covers left off to get all the wiring into the card. Only other M2 intel cards that would mount on the HyperX as intended would be the optane sticks that even fully loaded isnt enough to run an OS from.

I did see one instance where someone managed to get them working in a software raid.

Search VROC this section.....lots of reading....

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

G75rog
Level 10
I suggest you download the Sage manual and closely study your Raid options. In my Apex testing 4 Samsungs in a Hyper X16 were only usable in a Win 10 array even with a Vroc key installed.

I use 1TB 960 Pro and 970 Pro for the dual OS drives to make use of their insanely fast read and writes. Also opted to run the Hyper X16 with 4 960 Pro 2TBs as Individual drives with 3500 MBs read and 2100 MBs writes. Inter drive transfers run 1.8 GBs while transfers to the Asustor 10G NAS run 1 GBs. Had to buy a new NAS as the 14TB onboard is twice the size of the old NAS. lol

I have ordered the Intel Standard Key and I will be able to test tomorrow if it works, with what I have I wanted one simple request that I have been doing on more powerful mobos in the past :

Requirement is for Hardware RAID 0 seen as one drive to the OS using Samsung M.2 NVMe 2TB drives with the fastest throughput for the system

For some reason this has been a QUEST to make work - it was sold in the marketing material as a FEATURE not an OPTION without any part numbers to add to the order. Looking at some of these posts I now do not know if it will work even with the KEY!

Please direct me to any resources on this working in a guide or post?

System Specifications:

ASUS Republic of Gamers Rampage VI Extreme LGA 2066 Extended ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i9-7980XE X-Series Extreme Edition 2.6 GHz 18-Core LGA 2066 Processor
Thermaltake Floe Triple Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition PWM TR4 AM4 LGA2066 Ready AIO Liquid Cooling System
PNY GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB XLR8 Gaming Overclocked Edition Graphics Card OC
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4133 (PC4 33000)
EVGA Supernova 1000 G3, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular
Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card Expansion NV Me M.2 Drives Speed up to 128Gbps 2x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB (RAID 0)
2x Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (RAID 0)

-Jason

JustinThyme
Level 13
Good luck on your quest.
You might want to read the literature again. It was never stated anywhere that this board would run VROC with anything but Intel drives. This argument came up and the wording was changed to make it even more obvious. So long as it works with intel drives you got the "feature". This isnt on ASUS, its on Intel and they got an earful as well on their forums. There is actually quite a bit going on here and a lot of reviewers sites. One reviewer, name slips my mind, ran every possible scenario and published results of what worked and what didn't. I personally tried 960 pros, didnt work...software only. Optane memory modules, work just fine but still too small with 4 drives and still not all that fast. Tried every scenario I could as I was on a quest too. So many different keys were bought by so many people as even the info for what key needed to be used wasn't available and they weren't talking except to say keys will be made available by Intel. Most keys did nothing, wasted money, Saw one member from the middle east that got his hands on a premium key and got the same thing, Intel drives only. I wish it wasnt so but........Just trying to save a fellow enthusiast some cash, headaches, ulcers and blood pressure medication...Maybe even some hair! Would be great to see someone back door Intels lock outs on this. Everyone before failed miserably, me included.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Well, this has just been a very big waste of time - I know you say this is not an ASUS issue however, this should have been presented MUCH clearer that ONLY M.2 Drives from Intel would work - I wanted something simple, and that is High-Speed RAID 0 for boot in Hardware for OS load. So after review and statments like "It works with my Samsung" I took a chance and I bought the ASUS Hyper x16 Card (Nothing about Intel M.2 Drives Only for VROC on Card in ANY documentation).

I can not return my Samsung 2TB M.2 Drives now! Here is what I get when I try to build the RAID after adding the KEY that was NOT showing up without the KEY I am now looking for Another way to build a RAID 0 Boot that doesn't require special drivers for my system to boot Winows 10 with Samsung 970 drives!

G75rog
Level 10
Highpoint just came out with a bootable NVME pcie X16 Raid card, the SSD7102. It can do bootable Raids or up to 4 individually bootable NVME's.

I'm going to get one to replace my Asus Hyper M.2 X16 card. 😄

Win 10, Win 7, Linux, and Mac OS on one card ought to do it!

G75rog wrote:
Highpoint just came out with a bootable NVME pcie X16 Raid card, the SSD7102. It can do bootable Raids or up to 4 individually bootable NVME's.

I'm going to get one to replace my Asus Hyper M.2 X16 card. 😄

Win 10, Win 7, Linux, and Mac OS on one card ought to do it!

Let us know how you make out with that. I I recall someone else tried a high point controller and it didn't work.

You can still build a raid 0 boot drive with the 970 pros but its down stream of the PCH controller so it hits the DMI bottleneck. Gains very little on sequential reads but loses write speeds and 4k goes into the toilet as the limits of a single drive are just about at the DMI X4 limit.. IMO the performance is actually worse. Get yourself a single 900P or 905P depending on your actual space needs for that speed and call it a day. While I gained large block sequential read with two intel drives in VROC raid0 the 4k went in the toilet and this is whats responsible for the extra snappiness you get. The intel drive outperform the Samsung drives in this arena by a factor of 6. Samsung drives 4k is around 50Mbps where the intel drives as a single drive is around 300.

900P single

960 pro single

Raid up two 900ps and you get 5400 sequential reads with 2 drives but the 4k drop back to 200 or so.

Korth
Level 14
Are PCIe3x16 RAID cards common now? Used to only be PCIe 2.0x16 or 3.0x8, limited by their cheap LSI controller chips.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Are PCIe3x16 RAID cards common now? Used to only be PCIe 2.0x16 or 3.0x8, limited by their cheap LSI controller chips.

I read it on the Internet so it must be true. :rolleyes:

http://highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series-ssd7102-overview.htm