cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI HERO - cold boot with XMP enabled is tripple boot?

Daniel256512
Level 7
Hi guys,

I’ve recently built a RIG and because my old PC was so old, I’m not really in the loop as to what’s the norm with the new hardware.
Since the start of my build, on a cold boot, *my PC boots up once and turns off instantly and then boots again where it will boot normally into windows. Once I enabled XMP for the RAM (profile 1), it turns on and off twice before booting into windows the third time.
I’ve disabled XMP as it seems something is wrong but the PC still double boots on a cold boot.

I am receiving some stuttering in games SOMETIMES like during loading screens and now and then in games , but since both games are so new, it’s hard to tell if it’s my PC.

Motherboard - Asus Maximus hero XI
CPU - i7 9700k
CPU cooler - Corsair h150i*
RAM - 16GB Corsair RGB vengeance 3000mhz
PSU - Corsair HX850i*
GPU - Asus STRIX OC 2080*
Case - Corsair 570x
OS drive - Samsung *970 m.2 NVME
Games - WD Black 1TB *
5 REPLIES 5

Daniel256512
Level 7
Bump

mdzcpa
Level 12
The double boot up is normal when power had been disconnected from the motherboard. The system is "training" and forming baseline for your configuration and then applying normal set timings with applicable sub timings on the second boot. Baselines are lost when the board powers down.

The triple boot is needed when set timings (including under XMP) are a bit further from plug and play. It needs 3 cycles to properly set sub timings.

Is your memory on the QVL?

mdzcpa wrote:
The double boot up is normal when power had been disconnected from the motherboard. The system is "training" and forming baseline for your configuration and then applying normal set timings with applicable sub timings on the second boot. Baselines are lost when the board powers down.

The triple boot is needed when set timings (including under XMP) are a bit further from plug and play. It needs 3 cycles to properly set sub timings.

Is your memory on the QVL?

Thanks for your reply!

Nope, unfortunately the only Corsair memory on the tested QVL is 2133MHZ.

Hi all, I also have a similar issue of tripple boot since I have updated my bios to 0602 from the shipping one. The shipping bios had the double boot feature.

My rig is :

Intel i7 8086K
Maximus Hero XI
16GB GSkill TridentZ 3200 MHz CL16 (it's in the QVL)
250GB Samsung 860 EVO
Windows 10 Home

HiVizMan
Level 40
Make sure that your memory is stable with the new bios. If you prefer just revert back to the original bios. It was working for you so no need to fix what is not broke eh?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.