cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice Please Reply ASAP with my GL504GM FPS drops

Vsparda
Level 7
Good Day I notice that my ROG GL504GM is having hard FPS drops when i set the maximum processsor state in the battery power options but when i set it to 99% the Heavy Fps drops are gone.!! But i think this should not be happening to all of my games should i return this and let them check? is this a hardware defect?? Please reply ASAP i need help
17 REPLIES 17

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Check the GPU abd CPU temperatures while gaming and report back.

It's probably overheating when the turbo boost kicks in. Setting the processor state to 99% disables turbo boost. It should work fine with turbo boost enabled, even with a 100% cpu load. *

I also have a Gl504gm. If you click on the battery icon on the bottom right in Win10, you can toggle from “better” to “best” performance. At “best” performance, the maximum turbo freq of around 3.9ghz is maintained at all times. This works ok for something like cinebench, however, while gaming this causes hard FPS drops from 120 down to 50 or so every couple seconds after a few minutes of playing. I’ve monitored temperatures and they seem to be fine, I suspect this is voltage related. Toggling “better performance”, there’s no hard FPS drops while gaming. On “better” performance mode, the cpu remains around 2.9ghz while gaming and temps are great. In this mode, the cpu is still allowed to turbo boost in other tasks, but cuts itself down appropriately while gaming. Interestingly, there’s no difference between the peak FPS of both modes (likely because the 1060 is the bottleneck even at 2.9ghz), at least in the games I’ve played. (Both modes here are used on the “balanced” windows power plan btw).

A weird issue I’ve found:
I’m on Bios 304.
Sometimes, during some boots, I get a weird FPS stutter issue. In game, my FPS would go from ~140 down to ~90 for a split second and then back up to 140 every two seconds. In game it feels like everything freezes for that split second and then resumes. This happens immediately on starting any game, even while temps are still cool. It also happens on every game, even low requirement games like League of Legends. I’ve monitored voltages and temps while this occurs, but everything seems fine. I suspect it’s some rogue process or driver issue? A windows restart while plugged in usually completely removes this issue and everything is back to normal until it shows up again on another boot.. usually following a run on battery power.

Thanks for the reply i have tried switching it back to 100% but then all my games are stuttering again my CPU and GPU Temp. are 70 degrees i think this is normal and i have 3.95 ghz. even in my games that has minimum requirements to run also have slight fps drops when i put it at 100%

Nihck5 wrote:
I also have a Gl504gm. If you click on the battery icon on the bottom right in Win10, you can toggle from “better” to “best” performance. At “best” performance, the maximum turbo freq of around 3.9ghz is maintained at all times. This works ok for something like cinebench, however, while gaming this causes hard FPS drops from 120 down to 50 or so every couple seconds after a few minutes of playing. I’ve monitored temperatures and they seem to be fine, I suspect this is voltage related. Toggling “better performance”, there’s no hard FPS drops while gaming. On “better” performance mode, the cpu remains around 2.9ghz while gaming and temps are great. In this mode, the cpu is still allowed to turbo boost in other tasks, but cuts itself down appropriately while gaming. Interestingly, there’s no difference between the peak FPS of both modes (likely because the 1060 is the bottleneck even at 2.9ghz), at least in the games I’ve played. (Both modes here are used on the “balanced” windows power plan btw).

A weird issue I’ve found:
I’m on Bios 304.
Sometimes, during some boots, I get a weird FPS stutter issue. In game, my FPS would go from ~140 down to ~90 for a split second and then back up to 140 every two seconds. In game it feels like everything freezes for that split second and then resumes. This happens immediately on starting any game, even while temps are still cool. It also happens on every game, even low requirement games like League of Legends. I’ve monitored voltages and temps while this occurs, but everything seems fine. I suspect it’s some rogue process or driver issue? A windows restart while plugged in usually completely removes this issue and everything is back to normal until it shows up again on another boot.. usually following a run on battery power.

i have the exact same issue also

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Check the GPU abd CPU temperatures while gaming and report back.

It's probably overheating when the turbo boost kicks in. Setting the processor state to 99% disables turbo boost. It should work fine with turbo boost enabled, even with a 100% cpu load. *

Thanks for the reply i have tried switching it back to 100% but then all my games are stuttering again my CPU and GPU Temp. are 70 degrees i think this is normal and i have 3.95 ghz. even in my games that has minimum requirements to run also have slight fps drops when i put it at 100%

Nihck5
Level 7
So turns out my micro stutter was being caused by the continual crashing of sonic studio every 5 seconds as described in this thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106137-GL504GS-Nahimic-Service-(audio-drivers)-and-clipboa...

Uninstalling sonic studio and sonic radar immediately stopped the fps stutter.

Nihck5 wrote:
So turns out my micro stutter was being caused by the continual crashing of sonic studio every 5 seconds as described in this thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106137-GL504GS-Nahimic-Service-(audio-drivers)-and-clipboa...

Uninstalling sonic studio and sonic radar immediately stopped the fps stutter.

well it turns out i tried uninstalling both sonic studio and sonic radar and set my maxmimum processor state back to 100% it still having FPS drops and stuttering

Vsparda wrote:
well it turns out i tried uninstalling both sonic studio and sonic radar and set my maxmimum processor state back to 100% it still having FPS drops and stuttering

Try this, set the windows balanced power plan settings back to default. Then click the battery icon in the bottom right while plugged in and set it to:
Power mode (plugged in): Better performance

This allows the cpu to control its own turbo clock speed. Then see if the fps drops continue.

I've found that on Best performance mode, the cpu is forced to stay on 3.9ghz and then voltage throttling happens while gaming causing fps drops.

Nihck5 wrote:
Try this, set the windows balanced power plan settings back to default. Then click the battery icon in the bottom right while plugged in and set it to:
Power mode (plugged in): Better performance

This allows the cpu to control its own turbo clock speed. Then see if the fps drops continue.

I've found that on Best performance mode, the cpu is forced to stay on 3.9ghz and then voltage throttling happens while gaming causing fps drops.

sadly i tried it just now and still having fps drops but if i set the maximum processor state at 99% the fps drop is gone but i cant play at default 100% because it always occur in that situation ..i dont know if this is a hardware defect or just the update of bios that is causing this