Monitor17.3" FHD 120 Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO - M.2 NVMe
    CPU CoolerTHMODGL503
    OS Windows 10

Lightbulb Try this fix

Quote Originally Posted by chaaards View Post
    EDIT 2 ::
    Fixed by Asus Service Center -_-
    They said the cable or connector or whatever didn't work properly.
    Pretty much true in my case. If you're having the same problem as I did, all you really have to do is move the wire connecting the fans to the motherboard away from components on your laptop.

My story here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre.../post-21412825

It's a really dumb design flaw. Not ragging on ASUS at all, you can't really predict this is going to happen. Just seems like it's receiving either heat from components they're touching, or EMF interference from being so close.

Shouldn't take you more than 30 total minutes to fix it. Please let me know if this helps someone so that we can figure out whether or not I accidentally fixed something else isntead, haha.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by KAB123456789 View Post
    Pretty much true in my case. If you're having the same problem as I did, all you really have to do is move the wire connecting the fans to the motherboard away from components on your laptop.

It's a really dumb design flaw. Not ragging on ASUS at all, you can't really predict this is going to happen. Just seems like it's receiving either heat from components they're touching, or EMF interference from being so close.

Shouldn't take you more than 30 total minutes to fix it. Please let me know if this helps someone so that we can figure out whether or not I accidentally fixed something else isntead, haha.
    thank you for posting this ! I will have a look and see if i can replicate the fix

New ROGer Array

The post above is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by KAB123456789 View Post

This quote led to the answer.

Ignore every other software,utility, driver and BIOS speculation.
    The problem with the fan is the wire connecting it. It is either caused by the connector not connected properly or some interference from the chip that the wire hangs over.

I looked up a video how to teardown the laptop. The GL703GE is very easy to work on. The video is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix4eD2506oQ

From that video, you can see below that the wire in the video is looped around a resistor or capacitor or something (some silver cylinder). It does NOT hang over the chip near the fan. My machine, and most other pics I have seen online, show the wire handing over the chip that is just under the person's baby finger in the picture below.

I looped my wire the way it shows in the picture, made sure it was connected (it already was), and the problem has never happened since.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wo1fBz9.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	83340
    Last edited by Zethriel; 12-08-2019 at 03:06 PM.

New ROGer Array

You may need electrical tape...

Zethriel is absolutely correct. However, only after wrapping the wire in electrical tape (so that the wires were completely covered) did this solution work for me. Some kind of electrical interference / insulation problem I guess.

New ROGer Array

Can you please clarify the correct "working" solution?

Hi. I'm confused. 2 posts are somehow contradicting. On one post it shows that the solution is to swing the wire away from the cylinder and even put electrical tape to maintain that position. And on the above post it says to configure the wire to a loop around that cylinder. Can you clarify which is which? I actually tried the looping of the wire around the cylinder and it worked. So i dunno which is the solution really. Or maybe because unplugging/plugging of the fan wires did the trick. But by experience the problem will soon recur after just doing the unplug/plug method.

So possible solutions:
    A. Unplug/Plug fan socket - Works. But problem will recur at some point. Already happened to me.
    B. Loop around the cylinder - I think this worked for me but when I checked my wire was "partially" looped already so I just secured the loop by squeezing the wire tighter into a loop after I unplugged/plugged the fan socket. So I dont know if this really solved the problem or it's because I also did solution A
    C. Pull the fan wire away from the cylinder and fix with electrical tape - haven't tried it yet. Will try if problem occurs then I can rule out solution B.

I'm pretty sure I solved the problem somehow because
    1. The fans are now working at usual fan noise.
    2. I can finally control the fanspeed again (silent/balanced/overboost) using rog gaming center.
    3. Fans auto adjusts depending on CPU/graphics load.

Hope we can find a permanent solution to this problem.

Never buying Asus again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethriel View Post
    This quote led to the answer.

Ignore every other software,utility, driver and BIOS speculation.
    The problem with the fan is the wire connecting it. It is either caused by the connector not connected properly or some interference from the chip that the wire hangs over.

I looked up a video how to teardown the laptop. The GL703GE is very easy to work on. The video is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix4eD2506oQ

From that video, you can see below that the wire in the video is looped around a resistor or capacitor or something (some silver cylinder). It does NOT hang over the chip near the fan. My machine, and most other pics I have seen online, show the wire handing over the chip that is just under the person's baby finger in the picture below.

I looped my wire the way it shows in the picture, made sure it was connected (it already was), and the problem has never happened since.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wo1fBz9.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	83340
    Last edited by mariozamoramd; 05-02-2020 at 10:06 AM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by mariozamoramd View Post
    Hi. I'm confused. 2 posts are somehow contradicting. On one post it shows that the solution is to swing the wire away from the cylinder and even put electrical tape to maintain that position. And on the above post it says to configure the wire to a loop around that cylinder. Can you clarify which is which? I actually tried the looping of the wire around the cylinder and it worked. So i dunno which is the solution really. Or maybe because unplugging/plugging of the fan wires did the trick. But by experience the problem will soon recur after just doing the unplug/plug method.

So possible solutions:
    A. Unplug/Plug fan socket - Works. But problem will recur at some point. Already happened to me.
    B. Loop around the cylinder - I think this worked for me but when I checked my wire was "partially" looped already so I just secured the loop by squeezing the wire tighter into a loop after I unplugged/plugged the fan socket. So I dont know if this really solved the problem or it's because I also did solution A
    C. Pull the fan wire away from the cylinder and fix with electrical tape - haven't tried it yet. Will try if problem occurs then I can rule out solution B.

I'm pretty sure I solved the problem somehow because
    1. The fans are now working at usual fan noise.
    2. I can finally control the fanspeed again (silent/balanced/overboost) using rog gaming center.
    3. Fans auto adjusts depending on CPU/graphics load.

Hope we can find a permanent solution to this problem.

Never buying Asus again.
    UPDATE!!!

Solutions A & B FAILED. Noise and uncontrollable fan speeds recurred. Trying Solution C now. Hope this works for good.

New ROGer Array

Electrical Tape is in Addition to Looping the Wire, and do it for Both Fans.

I think I was misunderstood. I suggested the electrical wire in addition to looping the wire around the cylinder. Since implementing this, the problem has not re-ocurred on that fan.

However, the other fan started acting up. I found that applying electrical tape fully over all exposed wires on that fan solved the problem. I unplugged the battery for ten minutes as well, so that may also have contrbuted to the solution.

But since then (a week ago) the laptop has been silent.

New ROGer Array

You're Right To Be Angry, But Don't Be Too Hasty To Write Them Off

Never buying Asus again.
    I've bought a lot of ASUS motherboards over the last 25 years, with minimal problems. One of the motherboards is now 21 years old and still running (24/7 for the last 9 years). I've bought two ASUS laptops in my lifetime - they provide exceptional power at a reasonable price. Both laptops have needed some TLC after a year or two, but I have been very happy with both. I have also owned a few Dell laptops - they never require servicing and they never die. However, you will not get the same power, or the ability to tweak, modify, and upgrade that you do with ASUS. My take is that ASUS makes products for enthiusiasts, whereas Dell makes products for those craving reliability and longevity.

I too was angry about the fan problem, but it's gone now, and I have to say, this is one fantastic machine.

New ROGer Array

Solution C?

UPDATE!!!

Solutions A & B FAILED. Noise and uncontrollable fan speeds recurred. Trying Solution C now. Hope this works for good.
    Any word on if C worked for you?

New ROGer Array

Plan c seems to be working so far

Quote Originally Posted by Galahad56 View Post
    Any word on if C worked for you?
    It's been exactly a month from when I tried plan C. Seems to be working so far. No Nitrous powered fans making airplane engine noises for now. Let's hope it works for good.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast