cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Hero not turning off fans

Lord_Odin
Level 7
Whenever I try to put my computer to sleep or shutdown, peripherals turn off but the LED's are still bright and fans go full throttle.

Here are my specs:

Evolv X case
Maximus XI Hero Z390
32 gb TridentZ RGB @ 3200
no GPU (in-transit)
EVGA 1000 T2 psu
SoundBlaster Zx
Win10 Home build 1803
2 360 rads
1 EK DDC pump
1 EK 360 res RGB
7 Vardar 120 RGB connected to splitters on Evolv X PWB hub

Updated all drivers, software, OS, and BIOS is 0602.

I've tried reconnecting my power button cable, flipping PSU switch, clearing CMOS, enabling ErP for S4+S5, turning off Fast Boot in BIOS and Win, and trying different fan headers.

Why won't this thing just turn off?
5 REPLIES 5

SirWaWa
Level 7
the leds can be turned off during shutdown or sleep
it's a bios setting, read your manual
the fan i dunno

Lord_Odin
Level 7
Quick update.

I decided to disconnect the MB 24 pin power cable to isolate the PSU or MB. When I hit the rocker switch on the PSU without a jumper bridge, the fans turn on full blast but RGB does not. The fans should not be getting power without it, right? Would it be possible that the PSU is faulty and pumping the MB with power and is feeding the RGB? In other words, one source causing 2 problems?

I think I'm close. I tried swapping out power supplies but incrementally adding cables. Only leaving the SATA cable connected, neither powered the fans on. When I connected a non-bridged MB cable with a SATA cable, the new PSU powers the fan. This would indicated a faulty cable, correct?

Problem solved. Was a faulty 24 pin cable.

Lord Odin wrote:
Problem solved. Was a faulty 24 pin cable.

Interesting, that's one of those things you never think is the issue until it's actually wrong for your own system