New ROGer Array

GL502VM Linux support?

I'm interested in potentially getting the GL502VM, but I can't find anything about Linux support for the machine. Nothing on ArchWiki, nothing here, nothing after hours of googling. Does anyone have experience with the laptop? I know Asus typically has good Linux support I'd just like to hear someone confirm that I'll be able to put Ubuntu on the machine.

New ROGer Array

Need to Dual boot Win 10 and Linux

So far, all the suggestions I have seen on-line have not been successful. I have a partition on the C: drive ready to load Linux (Mint/Cinnamon) but I cannot get the USB Linux system to boot to load the partition. When I set the BIOS to boot the USB, it sends out a bunch of messages and then freezes. I believe it has something to do with the Graphics card/driver, but I can't seem to get over the boot. Just to check, I can boot the USB system on my old desktop (with a ROG Motherboard) but I don't have enough disk space to install the Linux system. Anyone have any ideas?

New ROGer Array

DanaZimm, are you trying to get the laptop to boot Linux from a flash drive to install to your system? I was able to boot Linux from a flash drive. To do this you have to go into your bios (reboot and keep tapping F2 once the ROG logo appears), then go to the Boot section of the bios -- disable fast boot and enable Launch CSM, then go to the Security section of the bios -- under Secure Boot menu disable Secure Boot Control/Secure Boot. Once that is all done, hit F10 to save and exit. Connect your bootable drive quickly, then keep tapping the ESC key once the ROG logo reappears. This will get you into the boot menu. From there you should be able to select your bootable USB flash drive. Once you have Linux installed and the bootloader is working well, go back into the bios and disable Launch CSM to get your Linux boot splash to display right. Hope this helps! I used this to install Linux Mint 18 on my GL702VM.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

New ROGer Array

Linux on GL702VM?

How did Linux (Mint) work on your GL702VM? I've tried several flavors of Linux (Ubuntu is my favorite) but I can never get screen brightness and keyboard backlight to work. Volume up/down works fine, so I'm doing something right.

Have you got any other system function keys to work?

Thanks!

-Joe

ROG Member Array

With xbacklight you could modify brightness.
    Then assign a custom combinaison of hotkey keyboard like ctrl+brightness in place of fn+brightness

New ROGer Array

What about keyboard backlighting?

Quote Originally Posted by kikislater View Post
    With xbacklight you could modify brightness.
    Then assign a custom combinaison of hotkey keyboard like ctrl+brightness in place of fn+brightness
    Xbacklight takes care of the screen backlighting. Cool!

Anyone know how to get control of the keyboard backlighting?

ROG Member Array

Try one of the following grub boot option
    acpi_backlight=video
    Or
    acpi_backlight=vendor
    Or
    acpi_backlight=native

If it works, you could be happy. If not you have to use xbacklight. Sometimes in combination with kernel options.

Most easiest and active distribution is archlinux, you havr everything here :

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/backlight

ROG Junior Member Array

Change Kernel version

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Joe View Post
    How did Linux (Mint) work on your GL702VM? I've tried several flavors of Linux (Ubuntu is my favorite) but I can never get screen brightness and keyboard backlight to work. Volume up/down works fine, so I'm doing something right.

Have you got any other system function keys to work?

Thanks!

-Joe
    Change kernel to 4.13 (at least keyboard backlight control works on ubuntu 18.04.1 lts). On ubuntu 16.04.5 (with kernel 4.13) everything work great.

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Joe View Post
    Xbacklight takes care of the screen backlighting. Cool!

Anyone know how to get control of the keyboard backlighting?
    Kernel 4.13