cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vdroop Vs Overshoot .Prime latest version too aggresive?Help me stabilize my overcloc

Lospsii
Level 7
Hello everybody!
I build my first rig and my goal is to overclock to 4.8 and achieve the lowest temps is possible.But I have some issues and i need some help or your opinions!
Cpu:8700k
Mobo:X Hero Wi-Fi
Aio:H115i 280mm Rad
Case:Air 540 3 intakes -3 exhausts
Monitor Software I use :Hwinfo-CoreTemp-Cpu-Z
Settings in Bios: Bios version 1704
Ram Xmp : Disabled Running stock at this moment to help me isolate any problems
Ai Overclock Tuner:Auto
Asus Enhancement: Disabled
Avx offset:0
Sync all cores:48
Cpu SVID Support: Disabled
Cpu Core\Cache Current Limit Max:255.75 (Dont know why max on my board is 255.75 instead of 255.55 )
Min-Max CPU Cache Ratio: 42-42
BCLK Aware Adaptive voltage: Disabled
Cpu Core-Cache Voltage:Manual
Cpu Load Line Calibration: 5
Intel SpeedStep : Disabled
Long Duration Package Power Limit:4095
Short Duration Package Power Limit:4095
All other settings are on default.

- Vdroop Vs Overshoot.
I run succesfully 1:30 prime 95 latest version small ffts with a vcore of 1.25 set in bios and LLC6 Ambient:20
Under Load the voltage goes from 1.248 to 1.264 .temps below
Cpu Package/Max:80 Average
Core 0 : 77 Core 1: 73 Core 2: 80 Core 3: 76 Core4:76 Core5: 74 Average

And i run the same test for 1:30 BUT this time with a vcore of 1.27 and an LLC of 5. Ambient:20
My vcore drops from 1.27 to 1.216-1.232 with an average of 1.222.As you can see my vcore its not stable under load like it was with llc6.
But My temps are 6 Degrees lower,which i think is significant.

-My question is whats more ideal and correct a vdroop or a overshoot?
-Whats your opinion about prime with AVX?Do you recommend something else for stress test?
I pass the test of cinebech and real bench with a set vcore of 1.245 and llc:5
I think that it is too extreme,the usage of my pc will be mostly for gaming.
Im a little confused as to what is right ,i have done alot of research and reading the last 2 weeks,but opinions varies.
-Do you think its a good idea to set an avx offset of 1?Because right now i have set a higher voltage just to pass prime95 avx.
-And last ,is there any option in bios to tweak that will help me stabilize my overclock?
-Also whats your opinioo about this:https://imgur.com/kADUKYw
8 REPLIES 8

JustinThyme
Level 13
The entire premise of the LLC and how it works does result in overshoot especially when going from loaded to unloaded. Raja did a write up here some time ago and explained things much better. The object is to get the highest OC with the lowest Vcore and lowest LLC.
Im not too Familiar with the VRMs on your board and where they stand in the ability to react to load changes.
My general process, right or wrong is start with LLC of 3 and push the Vcore as far as I dare (depends on which chip for amount) and bump up the multiplier on the CPU first until it becomes unstable then bump the LLC to 4 and try again. Still unstable bump to 5 and thats as far as I go. If still unstable Ill back off the clock until stable then move on to the uncore than to the memory. Lather, rinse, repeat. Der8auer has a nice OC guide that the basic principles apply to pretty much every board and is a great starting point.

https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/video-guide-der8auer-overclocks-rog-rampage-v-edition-10/

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
The entire premise of the LLC and how it works does result in overshoot especially when going from loaded to unloaded. Raja did a write up here some time ago and explained things much better. The object is to get the highest OC with the lowest Vcore and lowest LLC.
Im not too Familiar with the VRMs on your board and where they stand in the ability to react to load changes.
My general process, right or wrong is start with LLC of 3 and push the Vcore as far as I dare (depends on which chip for amount) and bump up the multiplier on the CPU first until it becomes unstable then bump the LLC to 4 and try again. Still unstable bump to 5 and thats as far as I go. If still unstable Ill back off the clock until stable then move on to the uncore than to the memory. Lather, rinse, repeat. Der8auer has a nice OC guide that the basic principles apply to pretty much every board and is a great starting point.

https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/video-guide-der8auer-overclocks-rog-rampage-v-edition-10/

Hi,im experienced the opposite i have an overshoot when i go from idle to full load with llc6 ,and with llc 5 i have a vdroop.
I dont know what is the best scenario.As you said ,i have tried lower levels of llc but my vcore drops a lot under load.
I have seen Der8auer ,its a good video to learn some basics.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I personally like to have some vDroop. It is a design feature that has value at so many levels. The most important is the health of the CPU itself.

Personally I feel too much emphasis is being placed on you passing an artificial stress test. If your system does what you use it for 24/7 without any problems then it is stable mate. All passing a few hours of cooking your CPU with prime confirms is that it passed that run, no guarantee that it will pass again. I just don't see the point of cooking my CPU like that.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I personally like to have some vDroop. It is a design feature that has value at so many levels. The most important is the health of the CPU itself.

Personally I feel too much emphasis is being placed on you passing an artificial stress test. If your system does what you use it for 24/7 without any problems then it is stable mate. All passing a few hours of cooking your CPU with prime confirms is that it passed that run, no guarantee that it will pass again. I just don't see the point of cooking my CPU like that.

Hi,trust me i dont want neither to stress my cpu so much,i just want to make sure its stable.
Like i said the usage of my pc will be 99percent for gaming.
-Do you think realbench is enough to check system stability?
-Whats your opinion about this?https://imgur.com/kADUKYw
_And ,is 0,030 drop on vcore under load acceptable ?

Thank you for your input!

HiVizMan
Level 40
I hear you mate.

I think running RealBench 2x with pass is enough for a day to day rig, yes.
A 0.03 Vdroop is certainly acceptable.

As to the image you linked, it shows a graphic representation of the different stress tests as determined by a particular set of parameters. Are you asking if one stress test is more relevant than another and I would answer that each stress test has all the value that the user of that stress test places on the test. So by that I am saying, if you belong to a group that gain bragging rights by how long they can run a particular stress test continually without failure then that stress test has great value to you. I know folks who run Prime for 4 days continually as a test of stability. It makes them happy so it has great value to them. To me very little.

I have personally seen folks do that extreme CPU stress testing and be freaked out when their system failed the first time a flash video was played, or even more embarrassing that their system would not resume from sleep. Your system is stable if it does what you want or need it to do without errors. Simple as that.

I benchmark. I overclock the shyte out of certain hardware. I build systems for financial institutions that want 100% stability. Real world usage is what determins fit for purpose not some artifical test. Rog RealBench written by a ROG member called Nodens is all about real world stuff and real world applications. That is why it gets my vote each time.

Enjoy mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I hear you mate.

I think running RealBench 2x with pass is enough for a day to day rig, yes.
A 0.03 Vdroop is certainly acceptable.

As to the image you linked, it shows a graphic representation of the different stress tests as determined by a particular set of parameters. Are you asking if one stress test is more relevant than another and I would answer that each stress test has all the value that the user of that stress test places on the test. So by that I am saying, if you belong to a group that gain bragging rights by how long they can run a particular stress test continually without failure then that stress test has great value to you. I know folks who run Prime for 4 days continually as a test of stability. It makes them happy so it has great value to them. To me very little.

I have personally seen folks do that extreme CPU stress testing and be freaked out when their system failed the first time a flash video was played, or even more embarrassing that their system would not resume from sleep. Your system is stable if it does what you want or need it to do without errors. Simple as that.

I benchmark. I overclock the shyte out of certain hardware. I build systems for financial institutions that want 100% stability. Real world usage is what determins fit for purpose not some artifical test. Rog RealBench written by a ROG member called Nodens is all about real world stuff and real world applications. That is why it gets my vote each time.

Enjoy mate.

I decide to stress my system with less demanding applications.
No need to hammer my cpu with prime avx anymore.
I think im done with vcore voltage .Now it left to tweak cache and vccio ,vccsa voltages and next week my overclock will be completed.
Btw ,what you use on your own rig,adaptive or manual vcore?
Do you think that a 30 percent overclock and set vcore voltage of~ 1.26 can cause cpu degradation over time?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Ive found that prime95=CPU space heater. Had it run for days on end then go to launch an actual intensive app and it fails.
I use realbench for testing my OC, hasnt failed me yet and is real world stress, not synthetic loads.

Personally I use adaptive and have my power plan balanced so Im not sitting so high all the time. If Im about to cut loose benching or a long session of gaming/intensive apps Ill go ahead and set it to high performance.
Its not so much the voltage that causes the degradation as it is the heat. So long as your cooling solution can handle it there is little to no effect. Ive not cooked a chip before and mine have always lasted through to my next upgrade getting abused by me then back to stock settings as a hand me down to someone less fortunate. Have a sister still runnng one of my old dual socket AMD FX-55 machines.......thats longevity.... about 15 years!! LOL

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yip 100% agree real world stress testing using ROGRealbench for me too.

I use adaptive on my system.

Like I say every time, let temp be your guide. If your system is below a set temperature then you are good to go. For some folks it is 80'C under max load, others want it cooler, and other still say below 100'C is OK for them. Pesonal choice. Me 80'C and below with ambient in my office of 24'C when under max load is ok. Here is why, I think we seldom load our PCs to max. There may be one or two applications that peak for a few minutes. I do not render large 3D graphic files or do huge simulations that require max power for days or even weeks on end.

4 hours of hard gaming and my system will not even have touched 55'C