cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me decide on which motherboard to buy

walrbe
Level 8
Hello Everyone,

Just joined the forum, I used to be on the Asus forum but that hasn't been around for a while now. I'm glad I found this forum.

I'm currently using an Asus P8P67 pro with a 2500K overclocked to 4.3Ghz on air cooling using Noctua Tower. Its been a fantastic PC but it's now time to build a new PC.

I am keen to stick with Asus and was seriously considering the Prime Z390-A. Further research is suggesting that this board my not suit my needs completely, so I am after your input. Now as far as my needs go I'm not a gamer but just want to play with o/c'ing and have a fast productivity PC, that will allow me to do some odd Video ripping etc.

My goals are to get a I7 8700K with the goal to overclock it. So I need a board that will cater for this. I am still very happy to use an air cooling but water isn't out of the question. I'm not going for extreme o/c's. I know I could go for a Z370 board but think I will rather get a Z390 to get some future proof down the track. So what do you guys think is the Z390 Prime A ok or should I go for something else? TIA

If I've missed anything let me know.
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I reckon that board would be up for some pretty serious overclocking...what have you seen that makes it "not suit your needs"?

I mean, top of the line OC boards are the Apex or Extreme boards if you can wait for them and want to be on the bleeding edge....

all youtubers are saying that an entry level board is not what you should pick if you going to do serious overclocking, especially with a I9 series chip because of the extra power required by those cpu's. So if that's really the case what atx board should I go for with in reason? I like the sound of the Maximus XI but that's too expensive

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
YouTubers make money selling you the most expensive gear.

That said you get what you pay for to some extent. But you said first
walrbe wrote:
I'm not going for extreme o/c's.
and now
walrbe wrote:
if you going to do serious overclocking

What are you aiming for roughly?

People are getting great OCs on the whole range of Maximus XI boards...the Gene looks pretty darn good...good VRM...etc

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
YouTubers make money selling you the most expensive gear.

That said you get what you pay for to some extent. But you said first and now

What are you aiming for roughly?

People are getting great OCs on the whole range of Maximus XI boards...the Gene looks pretty darn good...good VRM...etc

You are correct I didn't mean to contradict myself. I will be pushing the oc definitely because I do enjoy doing this, I will probably get an AIO 280 because I want to go that extra mile with oc. What im trying to avoid is picking the wrong board when I get the i9 chip down the track. So really it comes down to the board that suits the i9 cpu doesn't it even though I won't be getting it right away.

What do think? Which board should I pick? I'll have a closer look at the maximus boards.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, definitely if you are planning on the i9 pick the board with that in mind.

I don't have one so it's a bit cheeky to recommend one...and the Extreme and Apex aren't readily available right now...but if it was me I'd wait for those or get a Gene. The Gene is optimized for 2 sticks off RAM..the others for 4 I believe. The Extreme Gene and Apex all have better VRMs. The Formula, Hero are cheaper boards and have slightly less VRM power but people's OC results are still excellent with good cooling.

In fact cooling is very important for these CPUs. And cooling for the VRM too.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yes, definitely if you are planning on the i9 pick the board with that in mind.

I don't have one so it's a bit cheeky to recommend one...and the Extreme and Apex aren't readily available right now...but if it was me I'd wait for those or get a Gene. The Gene is optimized for 2 sticks off RAM..the others for 4 I believe. The Extreme Gene and Apex all have better VRMs. The Formula, Hero are cheaper boards and have slightly less VRM power but people's OC results are still excellent with good cooling.

In fact cooling is very important for these CPUs. And cooling for the VRM too.

Thanks Arne, I'm now leaning towards the Maximus Hero.:)

Vlada011
Level 10
For longer build and I vote for Hero.
I really don't like to see powerfull processor and nice memory kit on lower class motherboards.
If you buy high class processor motherboard should be at least mid-high.

I never sorry because my Rampage motherboards.
I will in future try as much possible to stay if not Extreme than Apex class.