Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    New ROGer Array

Hey everyone! Thinking of upgrading from my GTX 1080 to the RTX 3070 after almost 4 years. I've read so far that the 3070's TDP is 220W, and I was wondering if you guys also think it's possible with the 230W power adapter of the G20CB.

I've been reading this helpful thread for months now, and I've been heavily inspired to follow in your G20 upgrade footsteps with the CPU and GPU.

Also, just curious: how has your ASUS RTX 2080 Turbo been holding up so far in your G20 rig? Come across any issues lately?

Thanks in advance!

ROG Enthusiast Array Cyb0rge PC Specs
    Cyb0rge PC Specs
    Motherboardcrosshair hero 7 wifi
    Processorryzen 7 2700x
    Memory (part number)f4-3200c14-16gtzr
    Graphics Card #1hp rtx 2080
    Storage #1Samsung 970 evo
    Storage #2Samsung 860 evo
    CPU Coolercaptain 360 ex
    CaseRog certified Deepcool Genome 2
    Power Supplyraidmax 1200 a.e
    Keyboard rog claymore
    Mouse Rog Spatha
    Headset Rog strix fusion 700
    Mouse Pad custom berserk cloth pad
    Headset/Speakers Rog strix fusion 700
    OS windows
    Accessory #1 rog phone 2

http://https://youtu.be/Bdohv96uGLw http://https://youtu.be/X_wtoCBahhM
    I wouldn't recommend it but if you try it anyways definitely post your results!!!!

Cyb0rge PC Specs
    Processorryzen 7 2700x
    CPU Coolercaptain 360 ex
    Keyboard rog claymore
    Mouse Rog Spatha
    OS windows
    Accessory #1 rog phone 2

No issues for the 2080 tons like a champ no overclocking headroom though I only got +40 not worth it

ROG Member Array

Hi All,
    Late to the party but I just wanted to report that I have upgraded the GPU on my G20AJ as well...several times in fact.
    I started with the built-in GTX745, and upgraded to a GTX 970, then to a 980Ti FE and finally I am rocking an RTX 2080.

Thanks to @spartan_hoplite's advice, I decided to go for the Zotac RTX 2080 Blower edition, which is virtually identical to the Asus Turbo RTX 2080 Blower edition. Actually, his explanation of the limitations in the power configuration of the two power supplies, which limit the GPU PSU to 230W explains a lot of the issues I've encountered with my 980Ti, which locked up or rebooted during benchmarks even though I am using a beefy Dell 330w PSU. It also tells me that the most powerful GPU that I can put into my G20AJ is the 2080 as the 3080 is quite out of my reach with a 320w power requirement.

I also ran into the infamous "no keyboard detected" issue while installing the new GPU. I hope Asus gets off their butts to investigate the issue and provide us "loyal" fans a fix, but I'm not holding my breath...
    Last edited by rpc72; 11-02-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Cyb0rge PC Specs
    Processorryzen 7 2700x
    CPU Coolercaptain 360 ex
    Keyboard rog claymore
    Mouse Rog Spatha
    OS windows
    Accessory #1 rog phone 2

Quote Originally Posted by rpc72 View Post
    Hi All,
    Late to the party but I just wanted to report that I have upgraded the GPU on my G20AJ as well...several times in fact.
    I started with the built-in GTX745, and upgraded to a GTX 970, then to a 980Ti FE and finally I am rocking an RTX 2080.

Thanks to @spartan_hoplite's advice, I decided to go for the Zotac RTX 2080 Blower edition, which is virtually identical to the Asus Turbo RTX 2080 Blower edition. Actually, his explanation of the limitations in the power configuration of the two power supplies, which limit the GPU PSU to 230W explains a lot of the issues I've encountered with my 980Ti, which locked up or rebooted during benchmarks even though I am using a beefy Dell 330w PSU. It also tells me that the most powerful GPU that I can put into my G20AJ is the 2080 as the 3070 is quite out of my reach with a 260w power requirement.

I also ran into the infamous "no keyboard detected" issue while installing the new GPU. I hope Asus gets off their butts to investigate the issue and provide us "loyal" fans a fix, but I'm not holding my breath...
    Yes don't hold your breath this product is at end of life. I had my g20aj running a rtx 2080 but it is now my secondary pc so I swapped it out for the asus turbo rtx 2060 super and the no keyboard error still persists. I'm not exactly but in all my testing in pretty positive this issue stems from the gpu pulling more power on its own to start bios etc there's not enough left to power peripherals until you get into loading windows and more power is now available, the issue goes away if you unplug everything from your gpu and instead put your hdmi in the on board display out powered by the cpu if you have settings to change in the bios

ROG Member Array

Keyboard Issue

Quote Originally Posted by spartan_hoplite View Post
    "and then go to "USB Configuration", MAKE SURE Intel xHCI mode was NOT set to "smart auto" or "enabled", You MUST " DISABLED" it, then only your usb peripheral will works (keyboard & mouse) when using RTX card.
    Wow, thanks for this tip! It worked!!! You saved my bacon again and kept my G20 klunker out of the recycle bin yet again

New ROGer Array

I just have to ask you folks that have successfully upgraded to the RTX cards in a G20 system whether or not you recommend it to others? I just got a refurbished G20CB running on a GTX970 for a price I couldn't pass up and am looking at my options to upgrade this beautiful machine.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6