cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1080 Ti "Arrived Damaged", ASUS Won't Honor Warranty

CLEANUPGAME
Level 7
This is going to sound unbelievable, but I sent my graphics card to ASUS due to bad coil whine and the middle fan not spinning up very often at all (which they claimed was not normal behavior). I packed it up by using two thick layers of bubble wrap all around it and placed it in a box. It left my possession with no physical damage whatsoever. It still had some protection stickers from the factory (exception of the backing sticker). Eight business days later, after arriving at their repair facility, they tell me it's damaged and that they can't replace it under warranty. They send me a bill for a refurbished 1080 Ti replacement for well over $700 as if I'm going to hand them the money right away. They sent me a picture of the damage (attached).

I sat on the phone for just under an hour, twice, trying explain to the highest level of escalation that I had I got to that this is unacceptable and that they will replace the graphics card. I strongly believe someone at the repair facility won't own up to damaging my card (dropped it, who knows). Now, it's my fault the card is damaged just because they said it is. With that said, a representative there named James stated that what I saying was a very good point and that he'd send the information over to the repair facility. What I tried explaining was that it's impossible for the box not to get damaged but the PCB and metal mounting bracket to get damaged (cardboard is weaker obviously than PCB and the metal mounting bracket). If that was the case, the damage to the box would have been visible and ASUS would have rejected the box. The following statement is directly from an email they sent to me. "Please note if there was no obvious indication of shipping damage to the original packaging, the packaging would not have been retained." So, I asked for pictures of the cardboard box to see its condition upon arrival. They stated they would retrieve them but they never did. I call them back today and another representative (again, highest level of escalation) stated that none of this was said or notated and that I never spoke to a James. He kept regurgitating the same information that they didn't do it and that I have no other option.

With this logic, I tried explaining to them how messed up it would be if GM denied to rebuild the transmission of a car with only 10,000 miles on it due to a chip in the paint. Would you ever buy a car under these terms? Of course not. That is why you shouldn't consider ASUS products either. They simply don't honor their warranty and seem to pick and choose who's products they will replace. I told them that it wasn't even my doing that the card incurred damage but to grasp the principle anyways. It's an absolutely ridiculous policy, and ASUS was very dishonest towards me. I will never support them with a single penny of mine again. Of the many friends that I know and people I build PCs for, I will never recommend ASUS to them for anything again. There are countless stories of people experiencing the same treatment from ASUS. Just Google it for yourself. As for my motherboard that's an ASUS product, I'll be getting rid of that soon too. What a shame.

2 REPLIES 2

BillBittel
Level 12
WOW. That sucks buddy. I would post this all over the place! I have known Asus to do some downright dishonest marketing - most recently the whole Z390 "Twin 8-Phase" PWM debacle, and their customer support is famous for being lousy, but this is over the top. The way I look at it with Asus is their is no warranty or support. You order, you build, you pray that you don't have a problem that involves dealing with Asus. I don't think I have ever read an Asus support story that ended well.

I guess at some point you just have to give up. If it were me, I would raise some more hell first. Good Luck!

xeromist
You can post your RMA information in the following forum to escalate it. Be sure to read the sticky post at the top of that section.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?295-Service-Related-Inquiries
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…