ROG Member Array

ASUS Maximus XI Hero & RAID 0

I currently have both NVMe slots being used by two 970 Pros and RAID 0 setup using the wizard. My question is when I do a speed test on the drives im getting 3.5Gb/s read my thought/understandind is i should be getting faster reads/writes. Am I doing anything wrong? I have the top NVMe set for PCIe not SATA III. Or is this the speeds that I am suppose to be getting, let me know

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array geneo PC Specs
    geneo PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XII Hero
    ProcessorIntel 1070k @ 5.1Ghz
    Memory (part number)64 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200/CL14 @ 3600
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix 2070 Super A8G
    MonitorEIZO Coloredge CG2730 and Viewsonic QHD displays
    Storage #1Samsung 512 GB 960 Pro
    Storage #21TB 850 x 1 TB 860 EVO RAID0, 6 TB WDC Black HDD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 Chromax
    CaseFractal Design R4 w/ tempered glass
    Power Supply750W Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
    Keyboard CM Quickfire Rapid TKL
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Bose
    Headset/Speakers Vanatoo T1, ML Dynamo 300
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64

I can't speak for the reads - you should be getting better - but you will not gain any in write speeds with RAID 0. The only way you will get better write speeds is by enabling write-back for the raid set. But with write-back you are vulnerable to data corruption if you have a power failure or crash. if you make regular backups it is not a big risk.
    Last edited by geneo; 11-24-2018 at 03:08 AM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by geneo View Post
    I can't speak for the reads - you should be getting better - but you will not gain any in write speeds with RAID 0. The only way you will get better write speeds is by enabling write-back for the raid set. But with write-back you are vulnerable to data corruption if you have a power failure or crash. if you make regular backups it is not a big risk.
    Do you know how to enable write-back? I want the best speeds possible as I did spend a lot on the system...
    Thank you for the fast reply

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

You are about on par. Problem is the NVME controller resides downstream of the DMI BUS link that is a bottle neck. Dont know why they havent bothered to update that in a few generations now. At this point in time a single drive just about maxes it out and putting it in raid0 will diminish what counts the most, your 4K performance. The sequential speeds are fun to play with and see big numbers and they help for large storage files for transferring them one place to the next but do little in day to day operations to give you the snappy feel of a nice 4K response. This is what gives the PCIe drives their appeal when they hit 300MB/S in that arena and a single 960 pro gets 50. Then I can raid them up for a better sequential read of about 5400MBP/S and lose 4K speeds down to around 180MBP/S.

So in my opinion its not beneficial to raid up drives that meet or maybe even exceed the limitation of the DMI Bus. I it were slower drives like the 850Pro, yes it makes all the difference in the world and scale almost linearly........Until you get enough to saturate the DMI bus.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    You are about on par. Problem is the NVME controller resides downstream of the DMI BUS link that is a bottle neck. Dont know why they havent bothered to update that in a few generations now. At this point in time a single drive just about maxes it out and putting it in raid0 will diminish what counts the most, your 4K performance. The sequential speeds are fun to play with and see big numbers and they help for large storage files for transferring them one place to the next but do little in day to day operations to give you the snappy feel of a nice 4K response. This is what gives the PCIe drives their appeal when they hit 300MB/S in that arena and a single 960 pro gets 50. Then I can raid them up for a better sequential read of about 5400MBP/S and lose 4K speeds down to around 180MBP/S.

So in my opinion its not beneficial to raid up drives that meet or maybe even exceed the limitation of the DMI Bus. I it were slower drives like the 850Pro, yes it makes all the difference in the world and scale almost linearly........Until you get enough to saturate the DMI bus.
    You definitely you know stuff. In your opinion should I just leave in both SSDs or should I pull one out and just utilize the 1? or what about buying a PCIe card that ASUS sells would that do anything?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array geneo PC Specs
    geneo PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XII Hero
    ProcessorIntel 1070k @ 5.1Ghz
    Memory (part number)64 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200/CL14 @ 3600
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix 2070 Super A8G
    MonitorEIZO Coloredge CG2730 and Viewsonic QHD displays
    Storage #1Samsung 512 GB 960 Pro
    Storage #21TB 850 x 1 TB 860 EVO RAID0, 6 TB WDC Black HDD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 Chromax
    CaseFractal Design R4 w/ tempered glass
    Power Supply750W Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
    Keyboard CM Quickfire Rapid TKL
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Bose
    Headset/Speakers Vanatoo T1, ML Dynamo 300
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64

You can enable write-back in the Intel RST windows tool. You won't be able to improve the reads with the DMI bottlenecking.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by geneo View Post
    You can enable write-back in the Intel RST windows tool. You won't be able to improve the reads with the DMI bottlenecking.
    What about reinvesting in the ASUS Maximus XI Extreme? Will that increase the speeds or is there a bottleneck there too? And last what about moving to the MSI Godlike? is there a DMI bottleneck with the 3 M.2 slots?

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Bottle neck is still there. Nothing that says you can run multiple drives without a raid array. They will actually perform better that way. It may show a very slight difference in sequential reads in raid0 but its a guarantee the 4K will suffer horrendously, just the nature of the beast.
    Onboard Im running 2 900Ps off of the PCIe bus in raid0, a single 1TB 960 pro and 2 1TB 850 evos in raid0.
    Os and smaller apps go on the 900Ps, games and large apps on the 960 pro and media on the 850 evos.

Cool did you figure this out

Quote Originally Posted by HypedCarts View Post
    I currently have both NVMe slots being used by two 970 Pros and RAID 0 setup using the wizard. My question is when I do a speed test on the drives im getting 3.5Gb/s read my thought/understandind is i should be getting faster reads/writes. Am I doing anything wrong? I have the top NVMe set for PCIe not SATA III. Or is this the speeds that I am suppose to be getting, let me know
    HI i have raid 0 with 2 samsung 970 evo 500gb drives on the AMD x470 board with ryzen 2700x. currently get ~ 7gbs reads and ~ 5 gbs writes sequential. this is because the m.2 run direct to the cpu pcie lanes. i know intel had run them through a chipset and then to cpu, which will bottleneck these drives but i didnt know it was as low as 3.5gbs. i am currently upgrading to an 9900k with hero xi z390 board but didnt know if intel had fixed this FAIL I mean that as there should be no compromises at this price point. also both drives should be set to pcie 3.0 x4 for the maximum performance. will you let me know thanks buddy