cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix X470-F My thoughts after a few days of use

bignazpwns
Level 11
So for years i have been guilty of being a fanboy for intel. Always wrote AMD off since i bought into the Bulldozer hype. Last time i had an AMD for my main rig was back in the FX-57 days So i got red pilled this weekend. Like why do i care about cpu bench marks at 1080p when i play 4k with everything cranked up. All of a sudden the i started to wake up. Looked at Ryzen in a new light. And Microcenters $129 1700x i decided $130 with $30 off a combo...its a $100 cpu so why not. Ryzen is great and im back on the green team....wait red team forgot we switched colors.

So there i was. I am an opto-electronics engineer so i was looking for a well built mobo. So after looking up pretty much every sub $200 boards specs up as well as getting data sheets i decided the Strix was the one. I really like the fuses, power circuits and a few other things. What i dont like is the fact that Asus's design team looks to be 10 year olds from the early 200's. I mean really? Its so gaudy its not even funny. Do they think this is "Gamer" Because its not. Its what your hip uncle thinks is cool and stuff he would do. Needless to say that heatsink was taken care of really fast. Now the junk all over the nicely engineered board is kinda like having a nice car then having it painted with spray paint. Sure it looks good from 20 feet away. But when you get close ewww. Also the ROG tag was removed also. Whats next ROG acid wash jeans....bet they are coming and those tags will be on them.

Now lets dive into the bios. And Why Asus has some great electrical engineers they have the worst software engineers. You know those boards from Aliexpress that are about $5 shipped? Yeah there software engineers would be fired after the first day if they worked for that oem, Im serious they are horrible. If you had any part in this boards bios you are horrible and should be thankful you have a job because at any other place you would be fired. So out of the box the bios has about a 30% chance of freezing when you save to exit the bios. Also settings when you save them some times dont really save. You go into windows and check and nope still the old settings. So i went ahead updated the bios to the most recent and still does all that. Great. Now here a fun part. I go thought get the rog light all set up. So when i power my pc down i dont have the light blasting rgb on my wall. Turn it off and nice and dark. Next day i turn my pc off and nope rgb all over. Then after i get it set up the light all of a sudden stops working. Because the bios changed the settings...on its own...Asus programmers i hate you. Please learn how to do your job.

So i know the components are good. I know the guys who engineered the hardware on this mobo did a great job i can see that. So lets see.

Stable clocks on a 1700X batch UA 1751US

4.25ghz 1.42v So far i think i can get a little more out of it.
4.0ghz 1.306v

Ram some Crucial Ballistic elite. 2666

3200 16-16-16-38 1.35v

Yes an amazing cpu and this mobo is pushing it hard. VRM's stay cool and this mobo has no problem. Honestly i love gigabyte but i dont think the Aorus Gaming 5 wifi could push this cpu like this strix does let alone run 4ghz at that voltage. Asus hardware engineers great job. Sorry the software and design teams disrespected your work like they did. The board deserves so much better then them.

End of the day would i pick another mobo? No. I know how good this is even tho Asus took a base ball bat to its knees in the terms of bios written on a napkin by someone who has never coded. However when you get the settings to stick its great. I know no sub $200 mobo will be able to preform like this stix. Flat out the hardware is just inferior to the Strix and this will give some $200+ mobo's a run for there money. Would i trade it for another sub $200 mobo? No. Performance is enough to safe the horrible bios stability. We all know Asus has gone down hill since the good old days and now they are trying to be Razer....ps nice Tacky phone Asus you manged to make the phone i thought Razer would make. At least they made it look presentable. But im glad this mobo still had the power to push a cpu like the old asus i knew. And the mobo was engineered like the Asus i knew. The stuff i dont like are petty because what matters is good. Bios is annoying . The ROG junk all over the mobo is nasty...But it works great. I know the 1700x i got is a really good chip but i also know 4ghz at 1.29v almost being stable is not just the cpu. Its good clean stable power what i expected after looking at the components and data sheets.

Hats off the the electrical engineers at Asus. You built a great board and for an AMD platform sub $200 mobo this will be my recommendation.

Asus design team who worked on this board. Quit...Its ugly. How about next time you wanna make it ugly just use uv sensitive stuff. So we dont have to see your early 2000's l337 crap until we turn on our early 2000's uv CCL's. But seriously. Gaming is about fast hardware. Look at fast cars. They are simple. All black PCB keep your RGB since that herpes is here to stay. But metal reinforced DIMM's . Black and silver. Thats classy. Wanna mix some red in? Red black silver rod thats fine. Fast exotic cars do that. Putting speed on your mobo is equivalent to the honda civic guys putting a fart can muffler on a civic. I drove a Lafarrari one time. You know what they don't put on it? A bumper sticker that says "Speed". Its tacky and everyone knows its fast . Its a Farrari. ROG means fast. Replace speed with ROG. Honor the brand and the fallowing it has as well as the respect its earned. Stop putting ROG on your crap laptops. They are junk ROG is premium not crap.

Bottom line. Performance is great. Love the board for that. You need a mobo for that black Friday or first gen Ryzen close out deals you picked up? This is the one. If you are not going big then get this. I just hope they can get a stable bios for it soon.

Asus support. IF you guys have a bios that improves stability on 90MBOXH0-M0AAY0 i would love it. I see for the X470-F you have 2 part numbers. Perhaps a change was made and this is the cause of the bios stability issues i have seen. Just go ahead and PM me a link and i will test it out.
0 REPLIES 0