cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Xpert 4 GPU temperature

Flotus_1one
Level 7
Hi everyone,

so I just bought a ROG Strix 2070 OC for my system. Besides I'm using a Strix Z370-F Gaming Mainboard. I'd really like to control the chassis fans via AI Suite 3 using the GPU temperature. Good thing is, I can see the GPU temperature in AI Suite 3. Bad thing: As soon as I choose the GPU temp as source to control the chassis fans, they won't turn up in speed when the GPU gets hot. The nice yellow dot in Fan Xpert 4 shows me, that my GPU temperature is rising but it also shows me, that the fan speed isn't increasing even though it should, according to the fan curve.

I've heard of one other person having similar problems so I'd like to know if anyone of you is experiencing the same problem. Of course a solution for the problem would also be appreciated 🙂

For your information: I'm using the latest version of AI Suite (Dual Intelligence Processor 5 v 1.06.52) together with the latest BIOS version for my MB and the latest NVIDIA driver for the graphics card.

Best regards!
17 REPLIES 17

Greyly
Level 7
I have the exact same problem. As you can see in the attached screenshot, it shows what the RPM should be (based on the GPU temp) with a "ghost" yellow dot on the curve, while the full yellow dot below reveals that the fan is actually at zero RPM. This doesn't happen if I pick the CPU as source.

I've found several others posting the same thing. It seems that if you pick a source that is not available in Q-fan in BIOS then Fan Xpert will not set the RPM based on it.

It's very disappointing to buy a new ASUS Z390-F motherboard and a new ASUS RTX 2080 graphics card only to find that the graphics card is overheating because a bug that has been repeatedly reported for over a year makes it so that I can't adjust my case fans based on the GPU temperature.

Confirmed, App detects GPU temperature, but MB does not change Fan case speed referring by GPU. Only marks barely visible "gpu temp" point on the graph and nothing happens.

Greyly wrote:
I have the exact same problem. As you can see in the attached screenshot, it shows what the RPM should be (based on the GPU temp) with a "ghost" yellow dot on the curve, while the full yellow dot below reveals that the fan is actually at zero RPM. This doesn't happen if I pick the CPU as source.

I've found several others posting the same thing. It seems that if you pick a source that is not available in Q-fan in BIOS then Fan Xpert will not set the RPM based on it.

It's very disappointing to buy a new ASUS Z390-F motherboard and a new ASUS RTX 2080 graphics card only to find that the graphics card is overheating because a bug that has been repeatedly reported for over a year makes it so that I can't adjust my case fans based on the GPU temperature.

I have had this issue before, how i fixed it was click RPM Fix Mode and apply, then switch back to Smart mode and apply.

mdzcpa
Level 12
Same issue here. This bug sucks. I hope they fix it sometime soon.

I ended up going with PCH temp as a substitute. I set customs curves around the specific temp movements of the PCH. I find the PCH temp does jump during GPU use due to close proximity. So it is a second best choice. But they really need to fix this GPU temp bug.

I started a thread about this issue on Reddit and actually got a response from ASUS today.

They're telling me to install GPU Tweak 2. I've had enough with AI Suite and do not want to taint my PC with even more ASUS software unless absolutely necessary. Do any of you with the same problem have GPU Tweak 2 installed?

Here's the thread on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/a430k8/fan_xpert_4_ignores_gpu_temperature/

panzlock
Level 12
Use MSI Afterburner to control all aspects of your VGA.

Use Ai to control CPU fan and chassis fans. I set the PCH as a source for the chassis fans, as the PCH has a warm but consistent temperature. This ensures good airflow but prevents unnecessary chassis fan ramp up as you might get if you set the CPU as the source, for example.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

panzlock wrote:
Use MSI Afterburner to control all aspects of your VGA.

I don't think you've read what we're talking about.

ASUS is telling me that I need GPU Tweak for AI Suite to control my CHASSIS fans if I want to use the GPU as source.

Greyly wrote:
I don't think you've read what we're talking about.

ASUS is telling me that I need GPU Tweak for AI Suite to control my CHASSIS fans if I want to use the GPU as source.

Yes, I read what you are talking about. Just because I didn't tell you what you want to hear doesn't mean I didn't read/comprehend what you wrote. There are more than 1 ways to impregnate a concrete block, as they say.

My recommendation is to use the PCH as a source rather than the GPU. Set the fan curve however you want based on minimum, medium and high temperatures of the PCH and you'll get a more consistent and efficient fan profile, better airflow and less fan ramping as the temperatures of the PCH do not vary in such short intervals. It's a better source for fan profiles, trust me.

As for MSI AB, it's a software with a comprehensive control array allowing you to do more. In addition, it has a much cleaner track record than GPUTII.

If you disapprove with my recommendation/suggestion and have your palpitating heart set, by all means, install GPUTII and see if that resolves your problem. If it doesn't it's most likely due to Ai Suite, or GPUTII or both, but you have an alternative to break your fall, reduce stress and eliminate frustration.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Came in here in search of the same solution. The question was "how to use gpu temp just like any other temp probe." Not afterburner, not pch, not anything else. Gpu.....I didn't realize afterburner had case can control function?

To answer the OP ... I know that Corsair link offers the function when using their commander pro. I use link anyway for my h150i and I was in the market for a fan controller anyway, so going that route may just work for me after all. I can select gpu temp as an option for the CPU cooler currently (although I wouldn't use it there) but to expand that to all other fans, their controller would be needed. Plus there is all fans are then in one software interface.