ROG Junior Member Array

Matching DDR4 from the QVL

I bought a Strix X299-XE about a year ago, and at the time dropped in a single 64GB 4x16GB kit from the QVL, as I didn't have a spare $900 to throw at another 64GB & hoped that memory prices would eventually come back down to earth.

That kit is a Corsair DDR4 3466 CMK64GX4M4B3466C16, with 16-18-18-36 timings (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820236051), and seems to be working well enough, running quad channel at 3200, according to CPU-Z. Unfortunately, it's no longer being sold by NewEgg, and is in fact *more* expensive at Amazon now. So I may eventually be stuck buying a mismatched kit when going up to 128GB. I know this isn't ideal - but neither is not being a millionaire.

Questions - the context for which is: I'm not looking to overclock anything. I'm glad that my current kit is running quad channel at something close to its rated freq, but I realize that such differences are incremental. If there's a goal, it's to run fast enough that I don't feel like I threw a bunch of money away.

1) What are the most important specs to match? For instance, I'm noticing that the 3333/3466 G.Skill kits from the QVL are 16-18-18-38. (So, same as what I have, except the 36/38.) Assuming the CAS & voltage are the same, are the max freq & other numbers critical, given my goal above?

2) How much weight should I give the QVL anyway? For instance: although G.Skill makes 3200 CAS 16 64GB kits, only their CAS 14 & 15 are on the QVL. I'm also spotting that there will be a number of similar-looking kits from the same manufacturer, and the ones with the lights & bling generally don't make the QVL (and are often cheaper). It seems like there's probably a lot of "this is what we got around to testing". (Would be nice if they had an "anit-QVL" for failed tests, too.)

3) How does this all dovetail with the quad-channel capabilities of the board? I've got my current kit every-other-slot & running quad. Is the other set of slots semi-independent in any way, or if I pick wrong and can only get dual-channel with the new kits, does that hamstring the whole system?

I'd consider buying a new 8-stick 128GB kit, and trying to sell my current one on eBay, but the choices for 8-stick kits are even slimmer, and in some cases don't seem to be a performance guarantee anyway... For instance, here's an 8-stick kit from the QVL, but it only claims to be dual channel: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820236159

ROG Guru: White Belt Array cekeu PC Specs
    cekeu PC Specs
    MotherboardROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-7900X
    Memory (part number)GSKILL DDR4 32GB (4*8) F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW
    Graphics Card #1Zotac RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core
    MonitorASUS ROG SWIFT PG27UQ
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB
    Storage #2BARRACUDA PRO (8TB) ST8000DM005
    CPU CoolerCORSAIR Hydro Series™ H150i PRO RGB 360mm
    CaseLian Li PC 011 WXC
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Platinum SSR-1300PD
    Keyboard Corsair Gaming K70 RGB
    Mouse Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Studio® R1800TIII
    OS Windows 10 Pro

I don't advise you to add a different kit to the one you have even if the specs look alike. It's better to invest in a complete kit. If you do not overclocked the kit the Crucial brand at 2666Mhz offer better value for money

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!