cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOS: CPU_LED on a Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard

MikeEEE
Level 7
Hello All,

Some bad news here. This morning my machine locked up after installing 1809 Windows 10 and since then I have not been able to get a POST from the motherboard. I get a bright red light under CPU_LED and the error code in the top right corner varies from 00 to 19 to 68-69. It's all over the map. Any attempt to unplug all components (memory/video card/etc) ends in the same result: no post, no beep, no fun.

EDIT: I should also add that I have had this board for over 5 years and has been most excellent. Everything was running fine until the lockup. I am not sure if it's related to 1809, but I did install it yesterday late. I had left the computer for a few minutes, but when I returned the entire screen was locked and no amount of effort could make the mouse move. Even NUMLOCK on the board did not work.

Am I hosed here? Suggestions?

Thank you,
Michael
21 REPLIES 21

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you cleared CMOS...and/or tried the second BIOS?

Is the PSU OK?

MikeEEE
Level 7
Hey thanks for your quick reply @Arne, it is much appreciated.

I have been doing some research and I did see the CMOS clear in the back of the motherboard. This did not work. Additionally, the second BIOS (or switch button) doesn't even toggle, unless I am doing something incorrect.

As far as the PSU, you might be on to something there. This is the top suspect at the moment. I did happen to have another PSU but unfortunately it only has 1 4-pin power plug for the CPU. The results are the same, however (not sure if this matters until we get another PSU with the necessary plug?).

The other consideration is the CMOS battery. As I said we're at five years with this bad boy and it's been super awesome. In fact I was thinking it was hitting its five year mark a few months ago and how solid it's been. Guess I jinxed it.

In any case, I would be interested in knowing what you think with this additional information.

ALSO, I should add, I am getting green debug lights intermittently under the digits, for VCORE and VSA. The red light for DRAM_LED also lights up time to time as well. Nothing is consistent it is all over the map. Hitting the Reset on the board will reboot with no lights and an F4 code, but no beep or post.

MikeEEE wrote:
Nothing is consistent it is all over the map.

That is why I am wondering about power and BIOS corruption...( though there is still the Windows install coincidence that I don't like).

I am a bit of a Seasonic fan for PSUs...A good 750W PSU that can populate all headers on the board...and as high efficiency as you can...save you money on power in the long run!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
A single 4pin ATX isn't enough to power the board....I'd be wary of trying that.

I would be interested in seeing if a different PSU with enough power sorted this and a CMOS battery refresh wouldn't hurt.

Assuming battery and PSU were OK, with the board off but powered you should see the orange light next to BIOS chips jump when you press BIOS button.

If there have been power/battery issues maybe BIOS is scrambled? Maybe a fresh BIOS flashback after establishing clean power?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Assuming battery and PSU were OK, with the board off but powered you should see the orange light next to BIOS chips jump when you press BIOS button.

Maybe a fresh BIOS flashback after establishing clean power?

(The plot thickens. xD I do have a lot of spare time in the next 2 days before the new stuff gets here hehe).

I didn't reply to this, but the light does not jump. However, I did have another CR2032 battery in another board, and when I replaced it, the light jumped! However, it only did this once.

I will look into the BIOS flashback now.

MikeEEE
Level 7
I like the way you're thinking, @Arne. It's either a new PSU+battery or new MB+CPU+RAM... the PSU is probably not far behind anyways.

Do you have any recommendations on PSUs? And also MB+CPU+RAM combos for plan B wouldn't hurt, either. 🙂

MikeEEE
Level 7
FWIW I tracked down my current PSU. Thoughts are welcomed:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021

EDIT: Apologies! While this looked like my PSU at first glance, there were some other features about it that didn't match up, which forced me to unlazify myself to see if I can get a better angle of it. It's really wedged in my case and I am not sure how to get it out just yet (one fire at a time, heh).

Anyways, the above PSU was for another case. Here is what I have currently with this motherboard:

https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Current-HCG-900-BRONZE-Supply/dp/B0046L2KQ6

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sorry for multiple post but I don't seem to be able to edit...

MikeEEE wrote:
And also MB+CPU+RAM combos for plan B wouldn't hurt, either. 🙂

Not sure about that...depends a lot on what you want to do etc. AMD have certainly upped their game so it's hard not to look in their direction for productivity PCs...pure gaming maybe Intel.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
AMD have certainly upped their game so it's hard not to look in their direction for productivity PCs...pure gaming maybe Intel.

Hehe... funny you mentioned that, because I couldn't help myself and decided to get one of these bad boys:
http://a.co/d/g3saEvS

The 8 cores spoke to me. 🙂 That is 4x what I have been working with, and for a Hyper=V environment/server that seems like the better path methinks.

Also, I am stopping by a department/grocery today and will see if they have the CMOS battery in stock, just for giggles. I might have use for a backup computer if it's already halfway there, I am thinking.

I will also keep those Seasonic's in mind as well going forward. Thank you for all your help, Arne! It is much appreciated.