cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Rampage VI Extreme - two memory kits

speedyrazor
Level 7
Hi, I 'inherited' in nice setup, which I cannot stabilise, runs fine for at least a few hours before freezing / restarting, etc.
This is the setup:

ROG Rampage VI Extreme (1503 Bios)
Core i9-7900X
Corsair Vengence LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16 Memory Kit (X2 - two separate kits) - total of 32GB
EVGA Supernova 1200W Fully Modular 80+ Platinum Power Supply

As you can see, it has two separate 16GB Ram kits, which are currently installed as one kit in the left side of the CPU and one kit in the right side of the CPU. The system will be stable for some period of time (sometimes 24+ hours), but then freezes / restart, etc. This is pretty consistent.
Reading the manual, I see there is A1, B1, C1, D1 and A2, B2, C2, D2. When installing 4 modules, you should install in A1, B1, C1, D1.
So, my question is, should I install kit one in A1, B1, C1, D1, and kit two in A2, B2, C2, D2? Would this help with stability?
10 REPLIES 10

cekeu
Level 12
With the I9 7900X CPU would be better with memories of at least 2666Mhz for the XMP profile. If the two kits are the same it should be okay. Have you correctly notched all the modules. If you can try a single kit with 2 memory strips on each side to test some time if it's more stable.

Sorry, what do you mean by "Have you correctly notched all the modules"?
Regards.

speedyrazor wrote:
Sorry, what do you mean by "Have you correctly notched all the modules"?
Regards.

''Correctly insert the RAM in their location''

Sorry, I don't usually speak English

HiVizMan
Level 40
Matched is what he may be saying.

How are you setting up your ram in the bios? It is not ideal to have unmatched kits even if they have the same model numbers they may not be identical in how their SPD is programmed. This difference can and often does cause instability.

You could try and set XMP profile as the method of OC for your ram in the bios and see if that sorts your issue out. Also look at the event viewer to see what is causing the shutdown.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

G75rog
Level 10
Install a single kit in A1,B1,C1, D1 and see how it runs for a few days.
Mixed kits are the biggest problem getting memory to run stable.

JustinThyme
Level 13
+1 on dont use mixed kits. Lucky to get them to run at all let alone OC. That being said Id also expect issues from the older and slower modules. Check the QVL for kits known to work well, FYI......2400 isnt on it....

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Shanester
Level 10
It wouldn't be a bad idea to run a ram test either and verify that they are all working correctly.
Memtest is a wonderful tool.

OK, I found, thankfully, I could return my current Ram and purchase a new single kit.
I was looking at purchasing this (which is in my budget):

G.SKILL F4-2800C16Q-32GRK(XMP) 32GB ( 4x 8GB ) DS - 16-16-16-36 - 1.2

Which is on the AVL list. Is this s good choice for my CPU?

Regards.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Good man, and I am sure you going to enjoy your system. Thanks for posting back your outcome.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.