cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for Upgrade Path w/ PC Gaming

Incloud
Level 7
Hey everyone, it's been quite a few years since I've been on here but seeing Cyber Monday is here I have been thinking about upgrading my PC but there is also an insane deal on PS4. Now I've always loved PC games and the graphics but sitting at my computer desk gets old after a while. It makes no sense for me to sit at my computer which is only 15 feet away from my living room which contains a 60" HDTV and full blown Klipsch Home Theater System w/ SVS Subs and my couch. My thoughts are to either pick up the PS4 on special and be done with it or take the steps necessary to play PC games in my living room. My PC is great for the work I do but I'm not sure how it will stand up to today's games and especially on a TV. I will post my specs below but briefly explain what I am planning on if going PC upgrade. I should have plenty of memory (32G) and an I7 4770K is no slouch as far as when I built the PC a couple years ago but I do know how that goes. My main concern I'd imagine for gaming would be graphics which as of now I have an MSI GTX 960 OC Gaming 2G. I've been out of the loop for some time with gaming and graphics along with SLI for many years. I'm not sure how capable my MSI GTX 960 is but it would be really nice to make use of it. I could surely go out and get another one and run SLI but not sure how far that would take me. There is also another model of my GTX 960, the Gaming 4G, which if compatible would bring me to 6G between the two cards in SLI. That would be great and improve my performance plus add to the bling, lol. Other than that I would need a good solution regarding a bluetooth controller that would be reliable from 15 feet away. I already have a 50 foot HDMI cable I'm not using so that could be used to run to my HDTV. As of now I've never used bluetooth with my PC running Maxumus VI Formula and not sure how to set it up. As far as I know my computer has never been detected as a bluetooth device from my phone or other bluetooth devices. Any help and suggestions would be great on this matter as I'd like to place an order as soon as possible for either route I go. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

PC Specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name INCLOUD-DESKTOP
System Manufacturer ASUS
System Model All Series
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU All
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1603, 8/15/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.17763.165"
User Name INCLOUD-DESKTOP\incloud
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 24.9 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 27.7 GB
Page File Space 4.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

9 REPLIES 9

Incloud
Level 7
Well I hope I didn't waste my money because I ordered a PS4 controller, Bluetooth dongle, a GTX 960 4G, and hooked my system up to the HDTV. I'm not sure if the 2G and 4G are going to work but oh well. Surprised not one person was willing to help here, times have changed. Thanks anyway!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey Incloud

Sorry...not many people about yesterday maybe....all out shopping?

Just a quick note

Incloud wrote:
There is also another model of my GTX 960, the Gaming 4G, which if compatible would bring me to 6G between the two cards in SLI.

This isn't actually how it works....you'd only get 2GB in SLI...SLI doesn't double the memory...only retains the same amount (in that case the lower 2GB)

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Just a quick note

Incloud wrote:
There is also another model of my GTX 960, the Gaming 4G, which if compatible would bring me to 6G between the two cards in SLI.

This isn't actually how it works....you'd only get 2GB in SLI...SLI doesn't double the memory...only retains the same amount (in that case the lower 2GB)

You need the antenna installed maybe for Bluetooth? And check the manual because some boards need the drivers installed in a certain order!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey Incloud

Just a quick note

Incloud wrote:

You need the antenna installed maybe for Bluetooth? And check the manual because some boards need the drivers installed in a certain order!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey Incloud

Just a quick note

Incloud wrote:

This isn't actually how it works....you'd only get 2GB in SLI...SLI doesn't double the memory...only retains the same amount (in that case the lower 2GB)...or indeed it might not work at all...not sure where drivers stand these days...you might have to have same memory quantity on both cards

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hey Incloud

Just a quick note

This isn't actually how it works....you'd only get 2GB in SLI...SLI doesn't double the memory...only retains the same amount (in that case the lower 2GB)...or indeed it might not work at all...not sure where drivers stand these days...you might have to have same memory quantity on both cards

No worries, the Bluetooth works I tested it. If SLI doesn't work out do you think I could use the 4G as a primary card and 2G for psychics? The 4G is already ordered on eBay with no return so I hope I can utilize it. To be honest I've been playing BF4 on high settings on my HDTV and it plays very smooth already to my surprise. I'd imagine it could only get better even with the 4G alone in worse case scenario. Or sell both, get a newer model card. Thanks!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, you could do that...though these days a PhysX card is pretty redundant...probably best to sell 2G card...

Nice setup by the way!

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yes, you could do that...though these days a PhysX card is pretty redundant...probably best to sell 2G card...

Nice setup by the way!

I got my new card GTX 960 4G and am about to give it a go. I've decided to try and add a PCI-E X16 Card for Nvme and get a newer SSD. I'm not sure it will work or not and even Asus can't confirm but I guess if there's a will there's a way. I'll post how the graphics setup comes along. Oh, I also got the PS4 Controller and paired it. I tried DS4 and it was wicked glitchy but with Steam it works just like on a PS4. Only problem I'm having there is I can't go more than a couple feet from my PC without the connection dropping. I'll have to find a way to extend the range to my living room.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40