cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GS+GM useful thread [Troubleshooting & Guide]

McCoy
Level 8
Please join thread LETTER TO ASUS FOR ADDRESSING GL504 SERIES PROBLEMS [PLEASE SIGN]

So, here is my GL504GM/GS guide I profound myself while using it extensively in different configurations.
This thread is INTENDED TO GAIN ATTENTION FROM ASUS ENGINEERS! GUYS, PLEASE HELP US GET THIS BEAUTY TO WORK!

DISCLAIMER! DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK! IT IS NOT SAFE! IT CAN (AND IT WILL) VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

Basic information:
ASUS GL504GS Downloads page
Current (23/11/2018) is BIOS 305!

The microstuttering, lags and freezes

Let’s get it point-by-point, because there is a single problem which is consist of different cases.

The CPU

So, our 8750H is a hot one (relatively to similar mobile solutions), let’s analyze its role in our headaches :

Throttling: understanding Thermal (THER) and Power Limit (PM) throttling

So the basic approach is to check whenever it takes place on your laptop. The best tool is Intel XTU, please do the following:

• Install Intel XTU
  • Add graphs for all available throttling (Power Limit, Temp)
  • Go and play
  • Periodically check what is up with graph

See? If it’s not PMed, then it is TEMPed. What to do?
[EASY SOLUTION]

Change your power plan, by modifying power to CPU from 100% to 99% and totally lock Turbo Boost. It’s a solid solution which will sacrifice raw power in matter of better (way better Temps), and way lower noise.

[MEDIJM SOLUTION]

Use XTU to downvolt CPU, by lowering core voltage.

[HEAVY DUTY SOLUTION]

Disassemble and repast ALL thermals in your laptop. Check this video for guidance:

[ULTIMATE SOLUTION]

Do all above (except easy one), and...

... download the shell.efi, and modify some variables by loading shell in disabled secured boot in UEFI.

The Nahimic solution

Do fresh windows install, and DO NOT INSTALL NAHIMIC and Sonic Studio.

Liquid metal repasting guide (by myself!)

FAQ:

: Cooling Pad or unflat position leads to significant FPS drops and/or stuttering
Mentioned here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105890-Strix-Scar-II-Cooling-Pad-Causes-FPS-Drop-Terribly
: Reason is interconnected with adaptable cooling algorithms which ASUS itself realized by using leveraged way. So until SOME temp is reached (ex. 80c), fans are not kicking in – on border temp 79c system struggles with power limit and/or temperature throttling. Additional cooling distort variables on which such algorhytms are based, and significantly affects fans workaround. So it’s ok, if GL504 ran faster on higher temps.

Shortly: Cooling pad is distorting pre-defined cooling algorithms (also known as FAN CURVES). It won't help you with temps, they WILL stood the same, but you will reduce noise.

: What is GRUB? And what's it for? And how to GRUB?
: GRUB is external EFI shell, that gives you an ability to change variables of settings in UEFI-BIOS of our GL504GS/GM, without modifying BIOS itself.
ASUS GL504GS BIOS unlock thread, and GRUBing guide

: I can't install basic touchpad drivers after windows fresh install!
: Please install basic Intel Serial I/O driver from ASUS download page.

: I just bought my laptop 2 weeks ago, and i playing every games the gpu/cpu temp around 85-90°. Is that normal for this laptop?
: There are two types of answers ...
The short one - YES, that is probably fine, make sure Overboost is on, so heat dissipation is on its maximum.
The long one ...
Current thermal management of Intel processors is really complicated things. Especially in terms of Turbo Boost and adaptive cooling. Intel have done a great work making their processor as cool is possible under low load, and as powerful as possible in high load under. Unfortunately, ASUS engineers didn't spend enough time to get it cooling system (very well designed, though!) to correctly. If you're not experiencing significant performance drops - please switch Maximum Processor State to 99%, so you will be able to SIGNIFICANTLY reduce temperatures and noise level.

: Cann't find any info about different models...Does this model actually have 144Hz display or not?
: All GL504GS/GM are equiped with 144Hz screen.
139 REPLIES 139

Vsparda
Level 7
McCoy wrote:
Thread is UNDER development, and will be UPDATED REGULARY
Please PM if some informtion should be implemented INSTANTLY

So, here is my GL504GM/GS guide I profound myself while using it extensively in different configurations.

Let’s get it point-by-point, because there is a single problem which is consist of different cases.

The CPU

So, our 8750H is a hot one (relatively to similar mobile solutions), let’s analyze its role in our headaches :

So the basic approach is to check whenever it takes place on your laptop. The best tool is Intel XTU, please do the following:

• Install Intel XTU
  • Go and play

[EASY SOLUTION]

Change your power plan, by modifying power to CPU from 100% to 99% and totally lock Turbo Boost. It’s a solid solution which will sacrifice raw power in matter of better (way better Temps), and way lower noise.

[MEDIJM SOLUTION]

[HEAVY DUTY SOLUTION]

Disassemble and repast ALL thermals in your laptop.

[ULTIMATE SOLUTION]

... download the shell.efi, and modify some variables by loading shell in disabled secured boot in UEFI.

The Nahimic solution

FAQ:

: Cooling Pad or unflat position leads to significant FPS drops and/or stuttering

Mentioned here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105890-Strix-Scar-II-Cooling-Pad-Causes-FPS-Drop-Terribly
: Reason is interconnected with adaptable cooling algorithms which ASUS itself realized by using leveraged way. So until SOME temp is reached (ex. 80c), fans are not kicking in – on border temp 79c system struggles with power limit and/or temperature throttling. Additional cooling distort variables on which such algorhytms are based, and significantly affects fans workaround. So it’s ok, if GL504 ran faster on higher temps.

does this applies to all units? even the new ones?? my unit was bought 1 month ago and will repaste will do the trick?

Vsparda wrote:
does this applies to all units? even the new ones?? my unit was bought 1 month ago and will repaste will do the trick?

It will actually help to reduce thermal throttling, ASUS puts rubbish - not a thermal paste. It will remove warranty.

McCoy wrote:
It will actually help to reduce thermal throttling, ASUS puts rubbish - not a thermal paste. It will remove warranty.

thanks for the reply but one more thing what setting is your core voltage setting?

Vsparda wrote:
thanks for the reply but one more thing what setting is your core voltage setting?

-0.015mV ... but it doesn't give any percs in AVX applications (AS Origins/Odyssey) ... you can't even recognize because it doesn't work the way you assume.

Battlefield I, CoD:Black Ops IIII BOTH kill any chances for software downvolting, because there are lots of pieces in this puzzle. You can't even determine your ACTUAL voltage: as it changes in very flexible, you can run 5-10 times AIDA stress test and YOU WILL see different temperature results.

IF you lower the temp on CPU ... then GPU will increase its temp, because it won't hang to Power Utilization (PerfCap Limiter) - and it wil go further for power budget, and generate MORE HEAT.

So any temperature favourable variance given by DOWNVOLTING will be ate by your GPU )))

dalladirosa
Level 7
McCoy wrote:
Thread is UNDER development, and will be UPDATED REGULARY
Please PM if some informtion should be implemented INSTANTLY

The CPU

• Install Intel XTU
  • Go and play

[EASY SOLUTION]

[MEDIJM SOLUTION]

[HEAVY DUTY SOLUTION]

Disassemble and repast ALL thermals in your laptop.

[ULTIMATE SOLUTION]

The Nahimic solution

FAQ:

Mentioned here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105890-Strix-Scar-II-Cooling-Pad-Causes-FPS-Drop-Terribly

Thanks for you post very helpful, Undervolting is works. Ididn't still understand about cooling pad, is it works to reduce the temp using flat cooling pad? or useless?(Sorry for my bad english)

dalladirosa wrote:
Thanks for you post very helpful, Undervolting is works. Ididn't still understand about cooling pad, is it works to reduce the temp using flat cooling pad? or useless?(Sorry for my bad english)

Cooling pad is distorting pre-defined cooling algorithms (also known as FAN CURVES).

McCoy wrote:
Cooling pad is distorting pre-defined cooling algorithms (also known as FAN CURVES).

My temp cpu/gpu temp is reach around 90°, is that a normal? Cause of that i want to use cooling pad

dalladirosa wrote:
My temp cpu/gpu temp is reach around 90°, is that a normal? Cause of that i want to use cooling pad

It won't help anyhow, as system will sustain same temperature, but it will reduce noise level.

McCoy wrote:
It won't help anyhow, as system will sustain same temperature, but it will reduce noise level.

So the only way to reduce the temp is undervolt and repaste? using cooling pad is useless. am i right?