Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Fullrom View Post
    ahahaha to be completely honnest i didn't give it much hope... My GL504GS has shown the worst internal cooling system for the last two months, to be able to play in the most simple way i need to : Remove turbo boost so my CPU doesnt go past 2.9ghz, lower my screen refreshment rate to 80/90 hz, undervolt my cpu and my gpu and even then i get throttling every and then. From all the test i conducted i know by now that my fans are not picking up as intended although they are on turbo boost all the time. As a result i reach high temps fast no matter what and while playing near throttling temps, my fans never speed up and by the sound of it they stay at a balanced speed. Like i explained in a previous post i had the opposite happen once while playing around XTU and uninstalling rog center, my fans then started picking up like crazy to a speed and noise i had known in the first month i had it and i coud play with no downgrades of my system with a perfect 144fps and no throttling.

I suspect that my first month of usage playing on an uneven plane constantly or using a cooling pad has made the heat sensors or something similar bug completely.

So i tried your advice yesterday night, and it didnt do much at all quiet the opposite my fans were even quieter than before and thermal throttling even more frequent.
    I'm patiently waiting for the official bios 307. Ive read people reporting no more issues after that (which is mind blowing to think its not hardware related and can be fixed with a new bios) but since its the bios for the 504GM, hero version, i dont want to take any risk and wait for the official one

Thanks for your input though, i had a few seconds of hope thanks to you
    Bios 307 is already available on the Product support page https://screenshots.firefox.com/l58K...A/www.asus.com

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by silvergem View Post
    Bios 307 is already available on the Product support page https://screenshots.firefox.com/l58K...A/www.asus.com
    307 only available for GL504GM, -GS users.

I'm sorry guys it didn't help - it seemed that first time it worked flawlessly.

ROG Junior Member Array

Audio troubleshooting for GL504GS

I just bought a GL504GS and I've been troubleshooting some problems I've had with it. First of all my laptop didn't come with a preinstalled Windows, so I had to install Windows 10 and all of the drivers for the laptop. That's where my problems are, the sound drivers are killing me. I've had a problem where my sound just stops working and starts working randomly. Usually when I change Windows Sonic for Headphones On and Off it fixes itself for a moment and then breaks again. I've found that when I reinstall the sound drivers I fix it completely... until I Shut Down the laptop. After a complete Shut Down the problem immediately starts again. I've tried completely reinstalling the WIndows, but the problem persists. I've tried multiple ways to install the drivers, the problem is always there. It's not only via the Laptop speakers, as when I plug in headphones it's still there.

I have no idea what to do and I've ran out of ideas. This forum is literally my last resort. The only thing I haven't tried is to update the BIOS to version 305 (I'm on 303), as I'm scared that something will happen during the flash and brick my laptop. Is the BIOS update really my last option?

ps. Who is maintaining the Driver page? It's just bad, 90% of the drivers have no instructions and I've had to literally guess at times what to install from the folders.

ROG Enthusiast Array

frightening official answer from ASUS

Regarding our shared issue of faulty cooling system (either fans not picking up correctly making throttling a constant, either fans in constant overboost mode no matter the fan set up chosen, either fans not properly working as soon as adding a cooling pad or playing on an inclined plane) And this was their answer regarding the awaited BIOS to solve the issue as the 307 bios just did solve the issue for the GM hero owners. I've been patient until now expecting them to deliver but this tells me that the situation is not going to improve anytime soon and leaves me completely frustrated and helpless :

hank you for requesting ASUS technical service.

I come back to you following the response from our cell of expertise.

I want to inform you that our mother cell in Taiwan announces that the cooling system is not the same between the GL504GS and GM.

They performed stress tests on the GL504GS and did not encounter similar concerns. So no bios of planned.

For this, I suggest you send your computer in our workshop to see if it can be found in a repair center.

Please note that the data will be deleted, please make a backup.

To return your product and have it diagnosed by our repair center, please fill in the removal form from the following link:

ROG Enthusiast Array

my answer

Below my answer, in a desperate try to get any reaction from them :'(

Dear,

I thank you for your answer; I'm a little concerned as if you go on the asus forums you can see plenty of topics about other owners of the GL504 series having different and common issues mainly being the following :

- Internal cooling system not picking up properly and fans underperforming (mode set on Overboost) which leads to thermal throttling after 2min of gaming no matter the game (we have to manually remove CPU boost, undervolt cpu and gpu and downgrade refreshment rate in order to reach a somewhat stable 60fps in some game, the fact that you report 0 issues is mindblowing...
    - Internal cooling system overperforming, fans stuck on highest rpm no matter the fan speed mode selected and even on idle usage
    - Internal cooling system underperforming as soon as you incline the machine a little or play with a cooling pad.

Those issues were encountered with the same frequency by owners of the GL504GM version and the latest bios for this machine seems to have completely solve the issue for them.
    Does your team not go on the official forums to at least read what we are reporting? We have tens of pages longs of subjects with owners reporting the same issues, how can you possibly report officially that there is no problem with the cooling system of the 504gs is beyond me and quiet scary. I was considering your new asus mothership product for my next buy but this experience has clearly made me change my view completely on ASUS.

I'm not just going to send my machine for a month in some of your repair center while the mother cell in Taiwan isnt even aware of the on-going issues, that doesn't make any sense to me.

Thank you in advance for your feedback
    best regards

Below my answer, in a desperate try to get any reaction from them :'(

Dear,

I thank you for your answer; I'm a little concerned as if you go on the asus forums you can see plenty of topics about other owners of the GL504 series having different and common issues mainly being the following :

- Internal cooling system not picking up properly and fans underperforming (mode set on Overboost) which leads to thermal throttling after 2min of gaming no matter the game (we have to manually remove CPU boost, undervolt cpu and gpu and downgrade refreshment rate in order to reach a somewhat stable 60fps in some game, the fact that you report 0 issues is mindblowing...
    - Internal cooling system overperforming, fans stuck on highest rpm no matter the fan speed mode selected and even on idle usage
    - Internal cooling system underperforming as soon as you incline the machine a little or play with a cooling pad.

Those issues were encountered with the same frequency by owners of the GL504GM version and the latest bios for this machine seems to have completely solve the issue for them.
    Does your team not go on the official forums to at least read what we are reporting? We have tens of pages longs of subjects with owners reporting the same issues, how can you possibly report officially that there is no problem with the cooling system of the 504gs is beyond me and quiet scary. I was considering your new asus mothership product for my next buy but this experience has clearly made me change my view completely on ASUS.

I'm not just going to send my machine for a month in some of your repair center while the mother cell in Taiwan isnt even aware of the on-going issues, that doesn't make any sense to me.

Thank you in advance for your feedback
    best regards
    I was able to contact several guys in different social media; - they all demonstrated initiative to talk. But, as always, they vanished after some time. I'm waiting replies from some of them for 1+ month.

It seems ASUS decided to stop supporting device in <1 year after release. It's the last time i'm in for the ASUS RoG laptop.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    I was able to contact several guys in different social media; - they all demonstrated initiative to talk. But, as always, they vanished after some time. I'm waiting replies from some of them for 1+ month.

It seems ASUS decided to stop supporting device in <1 year after release. It's the last time i'm in for the ASUS RoG laptop.

How I feel your pain... Nonetheless i'd like to thank you for being such a contribution on this forum towards other owners, you've lessen my pain by writing down such a comprehensive guide and raising awareness on the real problem we're encountering with the internal cooling system.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a competent thermal repaste service here in europe.
    In the meantime while i was brainstorming i remembered there is a guy who works in the software NFC notebook fan control which lets you bypass and access fan speed settings, there needs to be a proper profile created preemptively and thats where that person comes in to code it, if we could gather and and maybe propose him a funding contract for him to have incentives to work on it? Being able to manually set the fan speed and bypass rog center 3 base modes would be huge... I can play with a crisp 144hz and no throttling when fans are at proper speed and which are super powerful and well designed btw which adds insult to injury, unfortunately this only happens when i unset/set back overboost mode. Fans kick in for what seems to be 15sec/20sec. this is the rpm i was getting the first months constantly while on overboost btw so it clearly declined and i remember the day my machine shifted and in my case i'm convinced its because i played too much on an incline plane, the fact that what changed is now permanent and for which asus has two deaf ears is heartbreaking because i love a lot of things about this laptop, if only it would work
    Last edited by Fullrom; 02-19-2019 at 09:03 AM.

How I feel your pain... Nonetheless i'd like to thank you for being such a contribution on this forum towards other owners, you've lessen my pain by writing down such a comprehensive guide and raising awareness on the real problem we're encountering with the internal cooling system.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a competent thermal repaste service here in europe.
    In the meantime while i was brainstorming i remembered there is a guy who works in the software NFC notebook fan control which lets you bypass and access fan speed settings, there needs to be a proper profile created preemptively and thats where that person comes in to code it, if we could gather and and maybe propose him a funding contract for him to have incentives to work on it? Being able to manually set the fan speed and bypass rog center 3 base modes would be huge... I can play with a crisp 144hz and no throttling when fans are at proper speed and which are super powerful and well designed btw which adds insult to injury, unfortunately this only happens when i unset/set back overboost mode. Fans kick in for what seems to be 15sec/20sec. this is the rpm i was getting the first months constantly while on overboost btw so it clearly declined and i remember the day my machine shifted and in my case i'm convinced its because i played too much on an incline plane, the fact that what changed is now permanent and for which asus has two deaf ears is heartbreaking because i love a lot of things about this laptop, if only it would work
    This will be great!

We can do 3 actionable points:
    - unlock fan speed (or modify to more aggressive fan curve)
    - unlock BIOS and test it
    - try to make a petition on Change.org (though, not many people is going to sign it)

ROG Enthusiast Array

On my latest exchange today I ended up citing this thread and another to the head of customer service on their request... Hopefuly they can spot your q&a where you actually detail what is wrong with the adaptable cooling algorithms getting messed up after some usage especially if the machine has been used on an inclined plane or on a cooling pad. They did insist on the fact the cooling system is a different one than the gm hero version... And in the meanwhile i've read gs scar owners reporting their cooling system got fixed by upgrading to the unofficial bios 307... #blep

ROG Enthusiast Array

I am a user of the GL504GM and it seems i am one of the few were the BIOS update 307 did not bring any changes. In BF V i have even on Low settings massive FPS drops. Last solution is to reinstall WIN 10 and if thats not helping i will send it back to ASUS.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast