cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU underclocking itself on GL553ve

christiann19
Level 7
Hello , my CPU keeps going to low GHzs every time it's under load. When I enter FIFA or any other game it goes from 2,8-3,3 GHz to 0,8-1,8 GHz making it unplayable. I checked the power plan and it is on performance mode on 100 minimum and maximum frequency, so what should be the problem?
8 REPLIES 8

panzlock
Level 12
Is it overheating and throttling? What are the temps on the system? CPU, MB, etc...
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

The temps always stay in the range of 78-85 when gaming, it never exceeds 85 C . I also forgot to mention that this 'glitch' its very inconsistent, i can play for like 20-30 minutes and everything works fine and then it simply becomes unplayable or when i start a game. I tried disabling intel turbo boost but that didnt help. The games that i tried and encountered this are FIFA, Battlefield 1, Overwatch. I lowered the settings to the minimum but that didnt help too.

panzlock
Level 12
I can't think of anything but overheating since you're experiencing this on so many games. But then again, software has been tricky enough in the past to fool the best of them.

Check temps on other components, particularly the motherboard, PCH and even the video card. You can use HWinfo 64 for a comprehensive component performance breakdown.

Have you reset the Windows power plan back to balanced to see what happens? Try that and see if it makes a difference.

I got some screens of my temps, as you can see nothing is too exagerated

panzlock
Level 12
Things you can/should look into despite acceptable thermals:

Clean the laptop inside. Could be dusty.

Run your games when on battery only. Could be a failing battery.

Try the same thing with the adapter.

Some things I noticed : last weekend I heard some clicking sounds from the adapter when it's not plugged into the laptop and also the battery it's draining faster than before when it's sleeping. If I leave it at 100 over night the next day when I turn it on it has la 80 percent. Maybe it's one of these things like not enough power coming into the device?

panzlock
Level 12
That's right. Check the battery because if it's not thermals it could be a power issue. Either the battery or the adapter, in which case there may not be enough voltage pumped to the required components, subsequently resulting in loss of performance.

I just found why the cpu was underclocking. It seems when the temps go above 80 C the fans stayed at the same low rpm like it was idling. If I manually boost the fans from the gaming center everything works fine.