New ROGer Array

Maximus X Hero - Sudden LAN problem

Good day all,

I have a problem that just came out of nowhere on my motherboard. I've been running the latest bios for awhile, no changes to my hardware (PC, network, etc.) in a few weeks (other than installing an Astro A50 headset yesterday), and everything worked fine this morning. No problems whatsoever. Then, this evening I started up the computer and I'm getting told that the ethernet adapter cannot start. I've tried old drivers, the latest from Intel, no dice. Additionally, I get no connectivity in the bios either (when attempting to do an EZ Flash query for the latest bios). I'm pretty confident it's a HW issue and the LAN just ceased functioning. To me, the non-working LAN in the bios is the most telling, but I'm at my wit's end thinking I might've missed something.

This just happened out of nowhere. Luckily, I have my WiFi as a saving grace, but I'd rather use the hardline.

Any assist would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. Windows just gives a generic Error Code 10 (Device cannot start). Bios just says to "Check my internet connection".
    Last edited by Neur0_Mortis; 11-26-2018 at 09:05 AM.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Hello mate - two things to do.

First if you have a OC or are running your bios in anything but defults, save your current bios as a profile in the Tools section.

Once you have done that. Do a clear CMOS and power up your system, see if the LAN is being picked up.

Oh and of course make sure the cable is plugged into the Lan port - sure you have checked it but you never know.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

New ROGer Array

Yeah. Resetting the bios is my next step, but it's been running solid for quite some time (since May). The only HW change I've done since then is added a 2080Ti and moved from CLCs to a custom loop (but those were both over a month ago). Just weird that it'd stop working all of the sudden after a reboot.

New ROGer Array

Update. Resetting the CMOS did the trick. Not questioning it, but it's working. Question. If no bios or hardware changes have taken place, any logical theory that might explain why the LAN would suddenly fail? Dead in Windows, the bios, and Ubuntu seemingly out of the blue, but clearing CMOS fixed it.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Mate when you figure out the why of electronics working one moment and then not working the next you are a rich man.

Just enjoy that all is good
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Depends on the UEFI config, too. If you were running up BCLK it can have an impact on controllers in this way, including the NIC