cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New XI Build Will Not POST

necrpes
Level 7
Hello, hoping to get some advice on getting a new build with a Maximus XI to POST. Currently the system powers on and immediately shuts off within 1 second, no Q-code, no beeps, nothing. The lights on the board do power on. I have only attempted to build the minimal components on the board box, components are listed below. Also listed below are things I have already tried. It almost seems like a short, however it's just on the motherboard box with nothing underneath. I've built 10+ computers from scratch over the last 15 years I feel pretty confident I followed best practices handling the components in regards to static and force. The only thing I can think is worth mentioning is that I bought all the components in the states and I'm assembling them in Europe, however I did double check the PSU supports 110-240 and I don't see a switch on it so I'm pretty sure it swaps automatically, I'm also using a Euro plug.

Components:
* Maximus Hero XI
* Intel 7500 with Noctua low profile cooler
* Corsair platinum 3600
* Samsung 970 M.2 SSD
* EVGA G3 750 PSU

Things I have tried:
* Triple checked the power cables are seated fully
* Tried different CPU power cables
* Reseated the CPU
* Double checked the correct RAM slot (1 from the CPU with only 1 module)
* Tried without Ram
* Double checked the CPU fan is connected to the right plug (far right on the top row of 3 plugs)
* Tried to start with a screwdriver touching the power pins

Everything above results in the same behavior, when I power on the PSU the board lights up, when I hit start the system powers on (CPU fan spinning, flash on the Q-code LED) for half a second and immediately shuts down, back to the board lights on state.

The only thing that makes a difference is only connecting the 24 pin power cable and leaving the 8 and 4 CPU cables at the top disconnected. The system will not restart, however it won't POST and there are no Q-codes.

Any advice on other things to try/ double check?

Thanks in advance for the help.
3 REPLIES 3

HiVizMan
Level 40
Your CPU is a 7500?

7th Gen CPU - See the QVL for compatible processors.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-EXTREME/HelpDesk_CPU/
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Your CPU is a 7500?

7th Gen CPU - See the QVL for compatible processors.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-EXTREME/HelpDesk_CPU/

D'oh! I'm just trying to use this 7500 until my 9900k arrives. I guess I expected a q-code instead of the board just shutting down...

Thanks for the response.

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
necrpes wrote:
Hello, hoping to get some advice on getting a new build with a Maximus XI to POST. Currently the system powers on and immediately shuts off within 1 second, no Q-code, no beeps, nothing. The lights on the board do power on. I have only attempted to build the minimal components on the board box, components are listed below. Also listed below are things I have already tried. It almost seems like a short, however it's just on the motherboard box with nothing underneath. I've built 10+ computers from scratch over the last 15 years I feel pretty confident I followed best practices handling the components in regards to static and force. The only thing I can think is worth mentioning is that I bought all the components in the states and I'm assembling them in Europe, however I did double check the PSU supports 110-240 and I don't see a switch on it so I'm pretty sure it swaps automatically, I'm also using a Euro plug.

Components:
* Maximus Hero XI
* Intel 7500 with Noctua low profile cooler
* Corsair platinum 3600
* Samsung 970 M.2 SSD
* EVGA G3 750 PSU

Things I have tried:
* Triple checked the power cables are seated fully
* Tried different CPU power cables
* Reseated the CPU
* Double checked the correct RAM slot (1 from the CPU with only 1 module)
* Tried without Ram
* Double checked the CPU fan is connected to the right plug (far right on the top row of 3 plugs)
* Tried to start with a screwdriver touching the power pins

Everything above results in the same behavior, when I power on the PSU the board lights up, when I hit start the system powers on (CPU fan spinning, flash on the Q-code LED) for half a second and immediately shuts down, back to the board lights on state.

The only thing that makes a difference is only connecting the 24 pin power cable and leaving the 8 and 4 CPU cables at the top disconnected. The system will not restart, however it won't POST and there are no Q-codes.

Any advice on other things to try/ double check?

Thanks in advance for the help.

ONLY USE 8th and 9th gen intel gpu The one you install is a 7th (z270 or equivalent or below)
Learn, Play Enjoy!