cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VGA LED turns on at random, computer reboots, blue screens

freddiebox
Level 7
Hello people!

So I just got a pre-built computer completed for me with an ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming motherboard and a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080Ti.

The computer ran just fine a couple of days after a clean install of Windows 10 with the latest drivers from ASUS and Nvidia. I was able to get a full day of gaming in on Dishonored 2, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, and Star Wars Battlefront II without it breaking a sweat.

The first warning sign I noticed was the VGA LED turning on with a bright white light. I investigated by turning the computer off, opening it up and making sure everything was plugged and attached properly. I also went into the BIOS and restored optimized defaults just to be sure. The light went out and the computer worked like normal for the rest of the day. Then without a warning Windows froze, I got a black screen, and the computer rebooted without any error messages. At this point I didn't know what to do, so I updated the BIOS which turned out to be very outdated from the get-go. And I did a clean install of Windows all over again just to rule out any software corruption. (Remember that I have video during all of this, so the card is displaying properly). I left it running without installing any applications except for the drivers and it ran just fine on its own for a while until it gave me a random blue screen with the following code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE nvlddmkm.sys. After rebooting I left it for a couple of minutes and the VGA LED turned on again with a bright white light. Decided to just shut it down and not try anymore until I get smarter.

Not had much time to dig deeper into it since then other than running memory diagnostics which didn't show anything out of the ordinary. My old computer I'm currently replacing works just fine on the same video driver, (Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP Edition). Could this issue be driver related at all? Heard some shady reactions over the 416.94 driver at the Nvidia community. But I didn't know driver failures could turn on motherboard warning LEDs.

Currently debating to myself if I should just return it as broken before the return policy runs out, or see if I can find some advice online.

Thanks alot for reading!

Windows 10 64-bit (Win ver. 1819)
ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming (BIOS ver. 0904)
Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz
Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC 11GB (Driver ver. 416.94)
Corsair TX550M 550W
Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD
3 REPLIES 3

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Consider replacing the PCIE power cables if any spare modular ones for the TX550M.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Consider replacing the PCIE power cables if any spare modular ones for the TX550M.

Sounds like I should just return it before time runs out as I was never given any spare parts other than PCI brackets and case screws...

freddiebox wrote:
Sounds like I should just return it before time runs out as I was never given any spare parts other than PCI brackets and case screws...

Yes, if the system is prebuilt with no spares you're entitled to return it to the system integrator for them to diagnose it.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090