cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS Bad performance in new games

AlcatrazJames
Level 7
hello, I've had Asus ROG GL502VS for quite some time now. bought it in September 2016 and in the beginning i've had no issues with its performance, it wrecked absolutely every game on ultra settings including far cry 4, far cry primal, witcher 3, GTA V and other demanding games of that time. as time passed i've had some issues with drivers, windows updates and so on, but fortunately, I've found solutions to all of them. right now my laptop is running latest NVIDIA drivers, BIOS 302 and newest windows 10 version. however, I get pretty low fps in new games like far cry 5, assassin's creed origins, assassin's creed odyssey. haven't tried shadow of the tomb raider yet i'll post a reply here after I do. in these games I get like 40-50 fps on 1080p. sometimes even lower. also gotta say cpu is kind of overheating sometimes, reaches 95 to 99 degrees. does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? shouldn't I be getting 60fps at 1080p at least on medium or low settings?
full specs: gtx 1070 8gb, i7 6700HQ 2.6ghz, 16gb RAM.

Edit: forgot to mention that even though cpu is 2.6Ghz its usually (almost all the time) at 3000+Mhz, didnt overclock manually or anything. maybe a little help with this too? 😄
5 REPLIES 5

Korth
Level 14
Time to repaste the GPU, I think, 95C~99C is definitely "kind of overheating" enough to throttle peak/sustained performances.

Although the real problem might be your old battery running hot, especially if you simultaneously charge and discharge it, never use a cooling pad, etc.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Time to repaste the GPU, I think, 95C~99C is definitely "kind of overheating" enough to throttle peak/sustained performances.

Although the real problem might be your old battery running hot, especially if you simultaneously charge and discharge it, never use a cooling pad, etc.

been thinking about repasting the CPU... and should I buy a cooling pad? like, will it make a noticeable difference?

Korth
Level 14
Cooling pads do make a noticeable difference on many laptops - it turns out that letting them warm up in your lap is a terrible way to use them, haha.

But it depends on how they implement cooling, where the intake and exhaust vents are located. Even a pair of pencils or books (or whatever) placed underneath to elevate the laptop above an air gap can increase thermal efficiency on many models, if more air can get in and out and convect around, costs nothing so worth a try.

If the laptop sucks air through the keyboard (or whatever) then a gentle breeze underneath it won't really help at all.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

AlcatrazJames
Level 7
I think my lap sucks the air from the bottom and blows in the back. judging by the reviews, i'll probably get a CM NotePal X-Lite II.

AlcatrazJames wrote:
I think my lap sucks the air from the bottom and blows in the back. judging by the reviews, i'll probably get a CM NotePal X-Lite II.

Just raise the back a little, like 1cm is enough. It will have the same effect as the cooling pad, believe it or not. I'm using a thick adhesive black foam tape. This will also give you a better typing position.

And yes, I think it's time for a repaste. Undervolting the gpu and cpu should also help a lot with the temperature and will give you a slight boost in performance, because the gpu will boost to a higher clock (power limit reasons).