cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my PC so slow when I turn on it? Yet ....

FoxAdriano
Level 11
Hi, for one month when I turn on my PC sometimes it is very slow (not always but 30 times on 100 times). It always frozes on the last screen before showing the desktop. I always have to wait for 3 minutes before showing the desktop.
Yet my hardware is good and my PC is 8 months old:

CPU: Intel i9 7940X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus PRIME X299-DELUXE
VIDEOCARD: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti
SSD Drive:
(C) 512GB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe (for Windows 10)
(D) 2TB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2TB SATA III 6Gbit/s interface (for video exporting)
(E) 1TB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe (clips for videoediting)
RAM:
DIMM DDR4 32GB G.Skill PC 3200 CL14 KIT (4x8GB) 32GTZR Tri/ Z RGB [F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR]

Why do I have this problem? It is so bored to wait for 3 minutes. But then the PC works fine without any problem.
I attach the screen where my PC frozes, I repeat 30 times on 100 times.
Thanks for some info.
14 REPLIES 14

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello there, what USB devices do you have connected to your system.

Is the OS a new install for your system or an OS that you had used with another system?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Did you overclock the i9? Did you overclock memory? Or is everything set to stock?

feedmeink wrote:
Did you overclock the i9? Did you overclock memory? Or is everything set to stock?

On the pics you can see what I made. Thanks for your availability.

You have 4 ram sticks. Sometimes xmp does not work properly with all 4 sticks. Try manually setting to 3000mhz. Keep everything else the same and see if it works. Also double check the voltage on your ram. Some motherboards don't change voltage properly for ram when using xmp. Make sure the voltage is the same as what is on the sticks. Let me know if that helps. It could be other problems too. Or try and set memory to auto instead of xmp. Then boot and see if it helps. If it helps, then it is ram related. If it does not help, it might be something dofferent

FoxAdriano
Level 11
I am inexperienced and I don't know if I have set the BIOS correctly. I don't understand where I ahve to verify the double check the voltage on my ram.
Then I don't understand if on "Asus Multicore Enhanchement" I have to choose "Auto" or not if I want Intel i9 7940X works in the best way.
I attach some pics of the screens on my BIOS.
Thanks for your availability.

EDIT: I have the latest BIOS version. I updated it some days ago.

I'm unfamiliar with your motherboard. I highly recommend researching your motherboard and learning what these features do. Just google these features or watch some videos of people discussing this topic.

Unfortunately I don't have much experience and I speak a bad english. I madesome research and I didn't understand a lot. I hope someone knows my motherboard and can tell me if I need to change something in my settings.

EDIT: I chose 3000mhz but I get the same problem. :mad:

Have you considered the possibility that your onboard GPU could be fighting with your aftermarket one? See if you can disable on onboard one. Just a thought.

davemon50
Level 11
In my own experience that happens when something is failing, for example a connected drive.

My suggestion is disconnect the data and power cable from your Seagate Barracuda drive (assuming Windows is only on the SSD), and then try a few reboots without it connected. I had six drives connected to my machine, one was failing and causing a similar issue, and disconnecting one at a time allowed me to identify the culprit and remove it. Turned out to be one I wasn't even using.
Davemon50