cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure RAID 0 on C7H Wi-Fi with windows 10?

Oldar
Level 7
Hello to all!

I am new here and I made this thread because I am starting to loose my mind here... First let me tell you my system specs

- CPU: AMD 2700X
- Mobo: Asus Crosshair VII Hero WiFi
- RAM: 2 x G.Skill Flare 8GB
- SSD/HHD: 1 x SSD Samsung 860 Pro 256 GB (OS),
2 x HDD WD Raptor 300GB (RAID 0)
2 x HDD WD Black Caviar 2 TB (DATA)

All of these components are new except the SSD/HDDs I had from my previous system. I want to have my SSD as the main drive for Windows 10 Boot and the 2 Raptors in RAID O mode where I install my games. The other 2 disks are carrying data/backups so they are irrelevant to what I want to do.

My problem starts when after I have installed Windwos 10, I log in into BIOS to set up my RAID. I read almost everything I could find in the internet about AMD Raid SATA problems with windows 10 the last 5 days and still I cannot find out a simple thread that made what I am trying to do functional.

The Problem:
In order to create the RAID, I have to change the Sata Configuration from SATA to AHCI. Then I stop seeing all the other drives in my system. And all comes down to these 2 options:

A. Setting Sata Configuration > RAID, the system does only recognize as bootable drive the RAID which is not what I want to have and I really do not know why is that. I cannot choose between any other device to boot no matter what. In this case I cannot boot into Windows.
B. Setting Sata Configuration > AHCI, the system recognizes as bootable drive the SSD. In this case I can log in into Windows, I see all the drives except the ones that are in RAID.

I tried the amd sata only drivers from their site but for some reason the installer when I am trying to run it it says there is no file that can be run or something like that. If I try to install it from the files that have been extracted into the AMD folder all I get is that the exe I am trying to run is not supported from the OS I have installed. I did the Update Driver trick and I managed to install AMD Sata Controller for the one IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller and I have another similar one there that keeps in Standard SATA AHCI Controller no matter what.

Has anyone figure out if what I am trying to do is manageable or I do something wrong here? It is hard to believe that after I gave almost 1000 Euros I cannot set simple things up...

Thanks in advance for your time.

Friendly
Oldar
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
Configuring RAID in Windows 10
1. Install the hard drives into your computer and let it boot into Windows 10.
2. Back up everything you cannot afford to lose from your OS drive before starting.
3. Type or paste ‘Storage Spaces’ into Search Windows.
4. Select Create a new pool and storage space. Windows will check all drives and select them in the next window.
5. Select the RAID type under Resiliency by selecting the drop down menu. Simple pools the disks, Two-way mirror and three-way mirror are similar to RAID 1, and Parity is similar to RAID 5.
6. Set the drive size under Size if necessary. It should default to the correct setting.
7. Select Create storage space.
8. Wait for the process to complete and you should then see a single disk with the correct size in Windows Explorer.
9. Type or paste ‘Manage Storage Spaces’ into the Search Windows box to keep an eye on the array.

Hope this helps
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi there and thanks for your repply.

Writing Storage Spaces in my Windows search nothing came up.
I change it to "Storage" and then I saw an option. Press that and then "Manage Storage Space" and I saw the option you are referring to. Unfortunately when I select to Create a new Pool I read the message "No Drives that work with storage spaces are available. Make sure that drives you want to use they are connected".

In Disk Management though I can see the 2 HDDs as partition 1.

Any more suggestions?

Edit: Ok, I went into Disk Management and I deleted the 2 Disks. Then I was watching them as Unallocated Space. I run Manage Storage again and I was able to see them when I pressed Create Pool. They are both selected BUT when I press Create Pool an error comes up "Can't create the pool. Check the Drive connections and then try again" Details "The request is not supported. 0x00000032".

HiVizMan
Level 40
What is your current BIOS settings for hard drives?

As you have your OS on a single drive you should be able to set up using the software - revert to defaults in bios and have another go.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Oh my friend, thank you SO much I manage to make it work! At last I have my RAID 0 following your steps.

A last question please: Is there any significant difference if I have set the RAID from my windows and not from BIOS?

Up until now, BIOS is set to AHCI as I cannot log in into Windows if I select RAID.

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL it is all good my friend.

From a pure operations perspective, there is very little difference between hardware and software RAID. Ultimately, the difference comes down to where the RAID processing is performed. It can either be performed in the host server's CPU (software RAID), or in an external CPU (hardware RAID). For hardware RAID, that CPU can be in a disk array or in a RAID controller.