cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just shorted my Maximus Extreme VIII

stvn758
Level 7
77202I put the LED light strip against one of the headers at the bottom of the board and it shut down, silly little four pin thing. The motherboard lights are all on when the power is plugged in but when I try and start the PC it lights up for a second, the fans start to spin then it just shuts down. The LED stays at 00. *It's a brand new PSU, I tried removing the RAM and taking out the Round battery, tried pressing all the little buttons this board has on it and at the back. Is what I did enough to kill a CPU?

Any help would be appreciated, I don't even know what a short is, I have unplugged the PC in the hope it will start up later. * *

I have a water cooler and am wondering if that may be dead, the fans start on it. The thought of having to take that out and try an air cooler is annoying as I just threw out all my old stuff.*
4 REPLIES 4

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello stvn758 - ouch not good.

Remove everything from your motherboard and inspect the underside for any visible damage.

If there is none, do a clear CMOS before you re-fit the CPU and other stuff.

Try with one stick of ram and VGA only and power up.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

stvn758
Level 7
Just uploaded a photo of it, can you short a motherboard if the lights are still on, The CPU would be okay surely. Just trying to figure out what that yellow LED is.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Did you try and fit an LED strip whilst the board had power / was powered on?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

stvn758
Level 7
Yes, I just put it against one of the bottom headers, the strip had no power connected to it. Kaput!

I just ordered as new cheap air cooler, just to rule out the water cooler isn't dead, usually it would last a few seconds before the CPU overheats and it cuts off, this just starts and then stops, led boot indicator stays at OO. It's a pain as if I have broken the board I will have to get a new CPU as well, finding a cheap Skylake board will be difficult, this bloody iPad I'm using is an absolute pain to use.

Just ordered a cheap Z170 board as well, it's either the board or water cooler, PSU is only a week old. With all the safety features this very expensive board has I'm pretty upset a quick contact with an LED strip can cause all this trouble.*

we live and learn. Thanks for the help, guys.