cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geforce GT240 DDR5 not as bad as the reviews.

XZEMi
Level 7
Ok, I have the GT240 it runs quiet, runs cool, requires no extra power. I downgraded from my 9800gtx to this card for its performance/size ratio. I had a GTX260 but it was way too hot just for the ability to run x16 anti aliasing modes. I think the GT240 ddr5 version is a value despite what reviews say it runs x4 aa decently. The trade off for size and heat is exceptional. I anticipate a 5 series card of similar size but double or triple the performance. When that is released i'll buy it also. Find the gt240 with a good rebate of $40 and you're stealing value.
4 REPLIES 4

martin_metal_88
Level 8
GT 240 have been bashed by review just because it's overpriced for the performance. If you can find it for around 50-60$ then it's a decent card.
For the next gen, I wouldn't say 2 or 3 time faster. GF100 and derivative are not 2 or 3 time faster than previous gen card. The card that replace the 240 already exist and it's the GTS430 which is not really faster since she perform mostly like ( or under ) a 5670 that is a bit over a GT240. the 5 series are for the high end card and 4XX for lower card.
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

XZEMi
Level 7
I want a gt240 to level up into a 1gb gt540 with 2 or more times the performance in single slot design with air venting to the back on that single slot and i'll buy it. Asus make it, its not impossible to vent air to the back out of the case in a single slot design just cut the slot in half paint it black and use dual hdmi ports. Oh yes and add a big ROG logo on the fansink.

xeromist
Well, the problem is that Nvidia's reference designs are all dual slot for high end performance cards these days. We do see cards that are an OC version with slightly better performance and a different heat sink because people like that extra bump. We're not as likely to see a single slot version because that would require underclocking and/or a very expensive custom cooling solution. There isn't much of a market for such a thing.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

martin_metal_88
Level 8
If you want a card that is 2X faster from nvidia get a GTX 450 but you will have to live with the dual slot. Nvidia are not likely to letmanufacturer change the design a lot and higher perforing card need to much power to use a single slot cooler. Also as Ialready say, 5XX series is reserved for higher end so the evolution of a 240 would be and is already in the 4XX series.
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!