cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GS SCAR II Maniac liquid metal guide of repasting

McCoy
Level 8
So, it should be done …

Ladies & gentlemens, here is the vicious repasting report on GL504GS, please welcome!
What did I take for my journey …

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT *I REPEAT* DO NOT DO THIS! IT IS NOT AN INSTRUCTIONS! IT IS JUST AN EXPERIENCE - YOU WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

• Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal Thermal Interface
  • Thermal Grizzly Thermal Pads (100*100*0.5mm)
  • Toilet paper (in case I **** myself if something ot wrong
  • Isolation tape

What's under the hood?
I will skip disassembly because there is nothing interesting actually

Step 1
When I first saw this, I thought: "Man! These assembling line guys really hate their job!" ASUS, why you spend so much money on marketing and R&D, but not putting proper paster in proper way. Dusguisting … the even cut costs on thermal pads. Total mess!
Then I took toilet paper, alcohol and started tearing off this gum-like substance away from laptop guts. It took 1.5+ hour. But well, look:

Step 1 minus 1
Oh sh... I forgot to detach batter cord. Please be aware, this little mistake may cost you SCAR II! Detach this cable FIRST! BEFORE DOING Disassembly!

Step 2
After I used toilet paper once again, I took duct tape and started to isolated everything around crystal. Look how it looks like:

Step 3
Then I applied thermal pads on GPU memory:
Then I applied thermal pads on CPU power nodes:
And then on GPU power nodes:

… and then I realized: that 100*100 is way much! Like, I've used 10% of total area of these pads in kit. Nevermind.

Step 4
Moment of truth .. the LIQUID METAL!
After some alcohol cleaning I was ready to drop (the bass?)
GTX 1070 was first in queue (but not the list), these LITTLE drop of liquid metal IS WAY MUCH FOR BOTH CPU + GPU! YES!

Well, after working with tampons it get to surfaces really easily!

And heatsink surface was updated with liquid metal too:

Then I assembled those part all together, and put my PC on table … there was only one step left:

Step 4
Cleaning all these mess made by myself:
Most difficult part of all these procedures for me …

Step 5
When I was ready to launch I forgot to plug-in battery …

After I was ready to PUSH THE BUTTON (The power button), the feeling of moment of truth came …

AND GOSH!! I was never that happy hearing these creepy sound on startup!

… and I forgot to plug in CPU fan(((

The result

26 REPLIES 26

voightkamfferro
Level 7
Awesome, somewhat considering this myself 🙂

Can you share with us the temperature results from gaming by using LM compared to stock paste? Because I have read that when idle the difference may be bigger than when gaming.

Thanks

Hello, I repasted my*GL504GS*with the i7 8750h/GTX1070 using Noctua NT-H2 and .50mm Arctic Thermal pad. I play GTA5 and previously my average max temps were GPU 85 CPU 95 even up to 99. I repasted and repadded and now my GPU doesnt go above 66 and my CPU stays in the high 70s to low 80s. I feel like my temps were a little higher at first but after only 15/20 min of playing they seemed to drop a little so maybe after a few days the cpu temp will srop more after the paste settles (even though I know it says no cure time for it) but seemed to drop after a little use. Just thought id share my experience of my Scar 2 repaste with the new Noctua NT-H2.

TX2000
Level 8
I applied liquid metal and thermal pads on mine and the difference is worth the hassle
after 5 mins it didn't went over 80 degrees

What thickness pads did you use?

Ok that's what i used. I saw a video for a similar model though and they used 1mm on the smaller chips in the back. Was wondering if there's a reason unless just different tolerances/ gaps between the heatsink. Thanks for the reply!

Ktmrider848 wrote:
Ok that's what i used. I saw a video for a similar model though and they used 1mm on the smaller chips in the back. Was wondering if there's a reason unless just different tolerances/ gaps between the heatsink. Thanks for the reply!

NP. I have open my laptop to add more memory and i removed the heat sink to check the pads and they had imprints on them. So they are making contacts with the chips and sink.

Hows it holding up?

Also to save anyone some trouble, i've repasted mine 5 times now. Yup. FIVE times with different types of non liquid metal thermal paste. I've used Noctua NT-H2, Gelid GC Extreme, Kryonaut, and Cooler Mastergel maker nano (the newest version) i'm back with using Noctua with the best temps out of all those. Thinking maybe one would be better than the other with a laptop than a desktop from all my research and what ppl have said. So don't waste your time with any of those besides Noctua. Would like to try mx4 and some others but im done for now. So that's my help on thermal pastes. Best bet is find better fans for cpu and gpu but that seems to be impossible to find faster fans unless anyone can recommend a place.