cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage IV Formula cpu red light problem

NaniTheDukIsDis
Level 7
Greetings, here is my problem and how i solved it. ( TLDR: in the end )

Should also point out that i'm no expert and i've never dealt with bios or any of that kinky stuff.
It just happens that when i'm pissed sh't goes down. Also english is not my main so bear with me.

I bought used mbo/cpu/ram pack and used gpu, the psu, ssd and monitor were bought brand new.
I used pc for 1 day without any problems and updated everything i could (windows,gpu drivers..)
After a gaming session i normally shut down the pc and went to sleep, next day when i woke up
and tried turning the pc on it would'nt even post and suddenly cpu red led was lit up. F*ck.

Specs:
CPU: i7 3930k - USED
MBO: Rampage IV Formula - USED
GPU: R9 390X 8GB - USED
RAM: HyperX Genesis 4x4GB - USED
SSD: Kingston A400 240GB - NEW
Cooler: Some Stock cooler - USED
PSU: MS Professional 700W ( was 60$ ) - NEW

I should point out that i tested my psu before the problem appeared with Furmark and Cinebench
both running at the same time. No problems with psu whatsoever. I tried looking up the problem
on the various forums and each and every one seemed to have the different solution. What i did
next was that i tried reseating ram modules and trying different combinations with them ( only 2
inserted, then different slots, then only one inserted and so on.) and reconnected psu cabels.
Tried reseating gpu and disconnecting mouse, keyboard and monitor just in case.
Tried putting gpu in different slots and turning it on and off with gpu switch on this motherboard.
In the end i even tried reseating the cpu itself but it ultimately lead to no progress.
Also there isn't a speaker on mb so no sound errors.

Next step was flashing bios. Since this particular mb had 2 bios chips ( which saved me in the end)
I tried flashing first one and no progress. Still getting 00 led reading and cpu red light. Tried numer-
ous methods that i found on youtube and forums but nothing seemed to be working. Then i tried
switching bios but same deal. I even tried swapping bios chips into different slots. No progress.
After 5 hours of trying i got an idea that since motherboard is very old the battery on it may be
depleted. Went to the store the same day and bought brand new mb battery. Came home, inserted it
and sh*t started happening. Suddenly cpu started heating and was getting 62, 64 and 34 errors on
the led's. Now cpu red light wasn't lit but rather the vga and boot device red led was on.

Tried flashing bios this time but to no progress. Switched to second bios and suddenly the led was
showing AA on led's and there wasn't boot device led, however the vga red led was still on. In the end
i tried switching pcie 3.0 slot from value 1 (turned on) to value 0 (turned off). Started posting. F*ck yeah.
I think that after flashing bios value 1 on gpu switch meant that that lane was turned off and value 0
meant that gpu slot was turned on - which i think was causing vga red led to turn on.

TLDR:
This is how i solved the problem. New motherboard battery and couple of bios flashing's alongside with
switching the bios and turning gpu slot switch to different value.

I was having a hard time with this and it took me 10h to deal with it and find clues on internet about it.
I'm writing this post to give hope to people that get this problem. Before replacing mbo/cpu/gpu try
doing everything that is in your power. You're not alone.
2 REPLIES 2

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
NaniTheDukIsDis3204 wrote:
try doing everything that is in your power. You're not alone.

😄

Nice one....glad it sorted itself. New battery on older boards solves a lot of problems!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
NaniTheDukIsDis3204 wrote:
try doing everything that is in your power. You're not alone.

😄

Nice one....glad you got it sorted. New battery on older boards solves a lot of problems!