cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I fry something in my processor?

Raimo5
Level 9
Hello,

So I was surfing around in my M11H BIOS. Found the 'PLL Bandwidth' setting and it's recommendation was to set if Level 6-8 for high clocks. As my 8600k runs at 5.4GHz, I set it to Level 6. System booted, all good. For testing purposes, I also set it to Level 8 and then first POST froze and system powered down. When I tried to turn it back on then fans would spin for a second and system would power down again.

So, Clear CMOS pressed and all is well once again. I went to BIOS to load up my usual, stabile OC profile. As I got into Windows, I immediately noticed that CPU Package is running hotter then Core Max. While my Core Max is 30, CPU Package is 41. Did something got knocked out of calibration insider the CPU or what's going on there? To make things even more confusing, CPU Package will line up with Core Max when Core Max will reach around 55 centigrade, and it does it gradually. It's like the cooler the cores run, the more CPU Package lies.

What could cause this and is there any way to untangle this mess? I have tried default settings, BIOS Flashback, Intel Processor Diagnostic Utility. Everything is still the same. Also checked for application of paste. Nice thin, evenly coating layer.

Take a look what happens to temps when chip comes off the load.

3 REPLIES 3

JustinThyme
Level 13
Cant speak for everyone but my package temp is always higher, especially under load.
Have you delidded your chip and removed the toothpaste and replaced it with a liquid metal TIM?

Dont think you fried it, generally if you cook one, its cooked and but good! Last one that made me cry spit sparks and smoke with a nice loud hiss!
It is possible you heated it enough to agitate the toothpaste TIM if you are still stock.

Personally I wouldn't be concerned. 5-10 above the others is normal. I it gets out of hand as in throttling then its time to worry.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

@JustinThyme thanks a lot for reply.

I have not delidded the chip, although I should. It's a damn good specimen for hitting 5.4 @ 1.345 vid and deserves a delid.

Looking around the web, it seems that lots of people get CPU Package higher than Core Max. But In my case, you can see how there is a slew in there and it only starts to lie at around 55 centigrade. Also, it was on par with Core Max before I messed with PLL Bandwidth. I don't even think you can fry a chip with this setting, as it only modifies CPU PLLs OC if I'm not mistaken.

Kind regards,
Raimo

Bukyn_cz
Level 7
Hello, I played with the same PLL Bandwidth settings, and unfortunately it happened to me the same ... When I read your post it finally happens to me. I have done CMOS reset, bios flash, lapping cpu i aio, reinstal windows and still the same problem ... The computer is stable, as powerful as before. The only problem is the temperature on the third core. I attach a screenshot and apologize for my language.