cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG GL502VMK Repaste Help

nightparadox
Level 7
Hello, i've got this laptop about a year ago. My version is the kaby lake with gtx 1060, the silver colour. I want to repaste the laptop as the temps are getting too high during gaming up to 94C. However, i can't find any videos on this laptop. The closest i can get to is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7glBCZr8ntI and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TRYDoIzrG0. Are they the same or similar that i can follow them to repaste my laptop?
7 REPLIES 7

McCoy
Level 8
nightparadox wrote:
Hello, i've got this laptop about a year ago. My version is the kaby lake with gtx 1060, the silver colour. I want to repaste the laptop as the temps are getting too high during gaming up to 94C. However, i can't find any videos on this laptop. The closest i can get to is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7glBCZr8ntI and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TRYDoIzrG0. Are they the same or similar that i can follow them to repaste my laptop?

Yes, there are pretty same - based on my GL502VSK experience. If it 1 year+ i would also recommend to clean fan assembly, because radiators on the fan side my be filled with dust.

Please make sure:
- that you use good screwdrivers, as screws are painted with thread lock (blue paint), and put strong BUT gentle force.
- unplug battery (THIS IS CRUCIAL)
- bear in mind action sequence, you should always know what to do next.

I've just done re-pasting on my GL504GS )

Go liquid metal for ultimate experience.

McCoy wrote:
Yes, there are pretty same - based on my GL502VSK experience. If it 1 year+ i would also recommend to clean fan assembly, because radiators on the fan side my be filled with dust.

Please make sure:
- that you use good screwdrivers, as screws are painted with thread lock (blue paint), and put strong BUT gentle force.
- unplug battery (THIS IS CRUCIAL)
- bear in mind action sequence, you should always know what to do next.

I've just done re-pasting on my GL504GS )

Go liquid metal for ultimate experience.

Hi thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how to avoid short circuiting as this is my first time. Is arctic silver 5 good enough? I'm not comfortable enough to apply liquid metal and the repair shops near me doesnt do repasting jobs..

JustinThyme
Level 13
If you have a crappy paste job in the first place AS 5 is better than what is there and is sure to show improvement, not as good as liquid metal, but better than OEM. Doesnt hurt to have it torn town for a good cleaning while you are at it. Hardest thing about teardown is there are a million screws and every one off them are different! Well maybe thats a little embellished but there are lots of screws and lots of different sizes/lengths of same size. My cheat is small parts tray for every different screw and write down what screws go where. After you do the same one several times it becomes pretty easy. I think I can do a G752VY blindfolded.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
If you have a crappy paste job in the first place AS 5 is better than what is there and is sure to show improvement, not as good as liquid metal, but better than OEM. Doesnt hurt to have it torn town for a good cleaning while you are at it. Hardest thing about teardown is there are a million screws and every one off them are different! Well maybe thats a little embellished but there are lots of screws and lots of different sizes/lengths of same size. My cheat is small parts tray for every different screw and write down what screws go where. After you do the same one several times it becomes pretty easy. I think I can do a G752VY blindfolded.

Ok thanks for the tip, I'll try to organise all the screws. Does it short circuit my motherboard if my screwdrive come in contact with the board? Even after my battery is disconnected

JustinThyme wrote:

Jusitn GL-series tera-apart is waaay easier than yours G752, there is actually 999 986 smaller screw quantity.

So if you are not ready to go liquid, i'd recommend buy following set:
- alcohol for clean-up
- dust blower to blow dust out of fan side of radiators

And thermal interfaces:
- Cryorig CP6
- Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut
- Arctic MX-4/2

And it is highly recommended to use thermal pads for VRM, GPU memory and power nodes (30*30 area is ENOUGH):
- Fujipoly
- Thermal Grizzly

McCoy wrote:
Jusitn GL-series tera-apart is waaay easier than yours G752, there is actually 999 986 smaller screw quantity.

- alcohol for clean-up

And thermal interfaces:
- Cryorig CP6
- Arctic MX-4/2

And it is highly recommended to use thermal pads for VRM, GPU memory and power nodes (30*30 area is ENOUGH):
- Fujipoly
- Thermal Grizzly

Is it okay to went with thermal pads with Thermal conductivity: 1.5w/kv
Breakdown voltage: 4.5KV because those 2 brands you mentioned cost a fortune in my country 😕

McCoy wrote:

- alcohol for clean-up

And thermal interfaces:
- Cryorig CP6
- Arctic MX-4/2

- Fujipoly
- Thermal Grizzly

Thermalpad for gl 502vmk is 1mm, 2mm, 3mm ?