cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to add internal storage on GL12?

komenasai12
Level 7
it says it has extra slots for storage.

how do i add internal SSD (not in the swap bay.) and how to add additional drives?
i can't find a manual in the box or even tutorial online. please help. i need more storage 😞

i have the 8700k/1080/250 m2/1tb/ version.

Additional question. can i upgrade the 1tb to another hdd of my choice? i want 2tb.

please im desperate for help . . .
adding photos or videos for tutorials would be very much appreciated! if thats not possible, i can still follow a text tutorial. looking forward for help!
4 REPLIES 4

JustinThyme
Level 13
Fairly simple task.
Yes you can upgrade your current drive, easiest method is to clone it to a new drive.
The propaganda page shows locations to add drives. If you dont understand the ins and outs of adding a drive mechanicallly then adding sata cable or according to the specs it has another M2 slot which should be pretty much plug and play so long as its enabled in the BIOS.
I you dont understand the elementary process it may be better to take it to the kids at Best Buy geek squad who will have it completed in less than 5 mins.

https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/ROG-Strix-GL12/
support button takes you to page where you can download your manual which tells you absolutely nothing about installing anything but hey....It has a section on proper posture while using a PC!!!

Why do you not want to use the easiest option, hot swap bay?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Fairly simple task.
Yes you can upgrade your current drive, easiest method is to clone it to a new drive.
The propaganda page shows locations to add drives. If you dont understand the ins and outs of adding a drive mechanicallly then adding sata cable or according to the specs it has another M2 slot which should be pretty much plug and play so long as its enabled in the BIOS.
I you dont understand the elementary process it may be better to take it to the kids at Best Buy geek squad who will have it completed in less than 5 mins.

https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/ROG-Strix-GL12/
support button takes you to page where you can download your manual which tells you absolutely nothing about installing anything but hey....It has a section on proper posture while using a PC!!!

Why do you not want to use the easiest option, hot swap bay?

im not from the USA. we dont have best buy here.
I need lots of storage for my work and as much as possible I want to add separate internal storage cause im going to use some drives for scratch disk, some drive for storage and the SSD slots for saving and quick access to files.

this is my first time owning a pre-built system, thats why I asked first cause I dont know if it has proprietary stuff going on and dont want to mess it up.

I managed to change the drive and add another HDD. I added another SSD but had to remove the CD Drive cause the motherboard only has 4 sata ports or am I missing something?

btw you don't have to be condescending about me not understanding "elementary process" for installing a drive.

UPDATE: found the other sata port. had to pop off the graphics card to plug it.
so thanks for literally nothing.

komenasai12 wrote:
UPDATE: found the other sata port. had to pop off the graphics card to plug it.

Hey, how did you do it? The HDD and SSD slots seem to be at the low side of the case. And I can't find a way to open that area. There is a closure and I don't see any point to move it away. And I couldn't find any tutorials on the internet.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
tongucci wrote:
Hey, how did you do it? The HDD and SSD slots seem to be at the low side of the case. And I can't find a way to open that area. There is a closure and I don't see any point to move it away. And I couldn't find any tutorials on the internet.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, but the GL12 should have two large 'side' doors and sounds like you have already removed one of the 'side' doors.
Just remove the other 'side' door to access the area under the divider.