cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X79 DELUXE - 4805 Bios with NVME Option - Can't boot with PCIe NVME Card

Tanquen
Level 7
I just tried the card in my older Intel Q9450 system and it boots with the card installed. 😞

What PCI to NVME card did you guys use? I just ordered the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card Expansion in the hopes it will work. I know I can only use one SSD until I get a new X399 or X299 board with VROC and bifurcation.

I know its an older board but I just got a 970 EVO NVME SSD and a PCI to NVME card but the P9X79 Deluxe will not even power up with the card installed. Any ideas?

This is the PCI to NVME card.

GLOTRENDS M.2 PCIe NVMe or PCIe AHCI SSD to PCIe 3.0 x4 and M.2 SATA SSD to SATA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07954MHFG/ref=oh_aui...
12 REPLIES 12

Tanquen
Level 7
Bump...

Tanquen
Level 7
So I have the NVME option in the BIOS but the GLOTRENDS M.2 PCIe NVMe card would not even get into the BIOS and the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card Expansion is ignored. 😞

Anyone know a PCI to NVME that works. Why is the option in the BIOS?

I am using a M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter form an unknown brand called Saber from a local shop on my Rampage IV Black Edition with a WD Black NVMe SSD and things works fine.

Tanquen
Level 7
I’m trying to use the Samsung 970 EVO 2TB. Yesterday I tried re-flashing the BIOS and still nothing. The NVME page in the BIOS always looks the same and I don’t see anything new in Windows Device Manager.

Tanquen
Level 7
I think something is wrong with my X79-Deluxe or I’m having some bad luck. In my even older system the GLOTRENDS M.2 PCIe NVMe card will let it boot but in the X79-Deluxe it just powers right back down after trying to turn it on. The Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card lets the X79-Deluxe power up but the NVME page in the BIOS always looks the same and I don’t see anything new in Windows Device Manager. I tried all the PCIe slots and put the Samsung 970 EVO into different sockets on the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card and the light did come on for each socket but no luck. I know you can only use the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card in a new X299 or something motherboard but I had seen someone use it in a motherboard without PCIe port bifurcation and just use one SSD. I only got the SSD and cards because I had read another X79-Deluxe user say they got an PCIe NVMe card to not only work but with the last 4805 BIOS it was bootable. I’d hate to send it all back.

Tanquen
Level 7
Is there a size limit on the X79-Deluxe like it can't use a 1.8TB NVME SSD?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate

Lets see if we can find a fix shall we.

Save your bios settings, either as a profile or write them down.

Clear CMOS and reboot to bios.

At defaults run through to OS with the new storage device fitted.

Is the device picked up?

If yes, rock and roll.

In no, then power down and label each of your connected hard drives with which SATA port they were fitted to. Remove all hard drives. Including the NVMe drive.

Clear CMOS again while powered down.

Fit the NVMe drive.

Power on and you should see the M2 drive picked up by the bios as it searches for the boot sector.

Let me know how it goes.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Tanquen
Level 7
Thanks for the post.

I did flash the latest BIOS and it cleared all setting but that did not help. I’m not sure what the issue is but:

GLOTRENDS M.2 PCIe NVMe card will not let the X79 DELUXE boot. The LED readout and fans flash on for a second and the it powers off. Don’t know what the X79 DELUXE don’t like about it.

Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card Expansion card will let the X79 DELUXE boot but the BIOS NVME settings page still show nothing and Windows shows nothing.

Today I got the RIITOP PCIe NVMe Adapter M.2 NVMe SSD to PCI-e X16 Converter Card and it works! The SSD is now listed on the NVME page but I guess there is nothing else to do there. But… It messes up the other drives and even though I’ve set the same old drive to boot and changed nothing it acts like you’ve changed the legacy or uefi or AHCI mode or something. It tries to start Windows but I get a message that hardware may have changed. The plan was to boot from the other drives for a time if I can get Windows up and running in the NVME drive. Is the new PCIe NVME drive forcing uefi mode? I was able to boot into an old drive with Windows 7 and test the new NVME drive and all looks good. I just need to see how to boot my Windows 10 drive with the NVME installed.

Also got the EZDIY-FAB PCI Express M.2 SSD NGFF PCIe Card but not messed with it as the RIITOP card worked.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers for posting back with your fix. Sorry that you had to have such a run around matey.

Enjoy your system.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.