cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

boot sequence is wrong after installing Samsung 860EVO M2 Maximus VIII Hero

Bram_de_Gruijte
Level 7
Hi there,

As I already used a Samsung ssd for booting, I decided to buy a bigger one for extra storage and at black friday pricing lol.
But ok, after removing the video card and installing the M2 ssd, I went into bios to check the bootup sequence en it was
correctly set, the exsisting EVO SSD as 1st boot device, my dvd rom as second boot device, the M2 listed but not selected.
After save changes re booting keeps resulting in the dvd rom asking for suitable media.....strange as my old ssd with windows on it
and the new M2 are both listed so why the f*** does it skip my boot ssd?! Checked the boot sequence three times well I
would not know how to go further to correct this, anyone? Thks! Enable / disable fast boot doesn't make a change, either.
Strangely enough my harddrive on E is not listed.
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
When you installed your OS the first time, was the drive on E connected to your motherboard? If yes then it is very possible that Windows (does this often) has put partitions on that drive which should be on your OS drive mate.

Move your E drive to a different SATA port and see if that helps.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
As above, if other disks are connected to the system at the time of install, Windows will install the MBR on an alternate disk to the OS.

Set Windows Boot Manager as the priority.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

R5Eandme
Level 12
Bram de Gruijter wrote:
Hi there,

As I already used a Samsung ssd for booting, I decided to buy a bigger one for extra storage and at black friday pricing lol.
But ok, after removing the video card and installing the M2 ssd, I went into bios to check the bootup sequence en it was
correctly set, the exsisting EVO SSD as 1st boot device, my dvd rom as second boot device, the M2 listed but not selected.
After save changes re booting keeps resulting in the dvd rom asking for suitable media.....strange as my old ssd with windows on it
and the new M2 are both listed so why the f*** does it skip my boot ssd?! Checked the boot sequence three times well I
would not know how to go further to correct this, anyone? Thks! Enable / disable fast boot doesn't make a change, either.
Strangely enough my harddrive on E is not listed.

Hello,

I assume your original boot drive is the Samsung SSD and it is on a SATA port. And that you are now trying to install a storage drive that is M.2 form factor and uses either a SATA or an NVME interface (you didn't specify which), depending on the drive capability and how you set up the M.2 port in BIOS.

I have a theory about why your SSD 1st boot device is being skipped over, and the BIOS is trying to boot from the DVD drive. It might be that when you installed your new into an M.2 socket, that socket shares bandwidth with the SATA port that your original boot SSD is on. That original SSD SATA port may have become disabled because now the M.2 socket is occupied. You can check for this issue of shared bandwidth in the mobo manual. The suggestion to move the original boot SSD to another SATA port might be one solution, find a SATA port that does not share bandwidth with the M.2 socket.

Another solution might be to use the M.2 socket for an NVME drive. Depending on what M.2 drive you have, it might be able to use either an NVME interface (faster) or a SATA interface (slower) and you tell the BIOS which interface to use. Maybe if you set it to NVME (if the device is NVME capable) that will eliminate the conflict. See this thread that gets into the confusion about SATA and M.2 ports sharing bandwidth, complicated by the fact that some M.2 drives are both SATA/NMVE capable, and some just SATA. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99659-Disabling-SATA-1-if-Using-M-2_1

Bram_de_Gruijte
Level 7
hi all, thks for your replies, before taking action I wait for an answer of the Asus technician to who I send several pictures of the bios. Since the system keeps asking for removable media even after the m2 ssd is removed, and bios setting are repeatedly set to te already installed 256 gb samsung evo ssd with windows 10 on it that is at least very strange. But somehow after entering bios I manage to boot windows from it. The suggestion aboet sata conflic appeals most to me, windows doesn't even boot so why should it write on any ssd then. to bad the manual that come with these ssd's are really tragically non informative the even show standard sata ssd s so samsung do your homework. nvme drive sound good to me, it's a Samsung 860 evo 500 Gb m2 ssd dont see nvme on the package but let's hope it does suppot that. I. ll report what Asus tells me. Meanwhile using my 11 y old i7 bloomfield game rig witf Asus P6Tde Luxe a lot more stable then my current Asus Maximus Hero VIII lol

Bram de Gruijter wrote:
hi all, thks for your replies, before taking action I wait for an answer of the Asus technician to who I send several pictures of the bios. Since the system keeps asking for removable media even after the m2 ssd is removed, and bios setting are repeatedly set to te already installed 256 gb samsung evo ssd with windows 10 on it that is at least very strange. But somehow after entering bios I manage to boot windows from it. The suggestion aboet sata conflic appeals most to me, windows doesn't even boot so why should it write on any ssd then. to bad the manual that come with these ssd's are really tragically non informative the even show standard sata ssd s so samsung do your homework. nvme drive sound good to me, it's a Samsung 860 evo 500 Gb m2 ssd dont see nvme on the package but let's hope it does suppot that. I. ll report what Asus tells me. Meanwhile using my 11 y old i7 bloomfield game rig witf Asus P6Tde Luxe a lot more stable then my current Asus Maximus Hero VIII lol

Hi Bram de Gruitjer,
The Samsung 860 EVO M.2, it is a SATA only drive, even though it looks similar to an NVME drive. The Samsung 960 EVO is an NVME drive. So when you plug the 860 EVO into the M.2 socket you may in fact have a conflict with the SATA port for your boot drive.