cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone running STX II with Z390?

dingo99
Level 10
I recently upgraded my motherboard to a Maximus XI Formula (Intel Z390 chipset). Sadly, the on-board sound quality is clearly inferior to that of my old motherboard (VI Formula), so I am looking for a sound card.

I'm considering the STX II or STX II 7.1, but given the age of the cards (and incompatibility with recent AMD platforms), I wanted to check if there are any known issues...

Does anyone have direct experience with the STX-series sound cards on an Intel Z390/Z370 motherboard? Does it work well, are there any issues (cutouts/crashes), etc?

TIA
3 REPLIES 3

Varmintbaby
Level 7
dingo99 wrote:
I recently upgraded my motherboard to a Maximus XI Formula (Intel Z390 chipset). Sadly, the on-board sound quality is clearly inferior to that of my old motherboard (VI Formula), so I am looking for a sound card.

I'm considering the STX II or STX II 7.1, but given the age of the cards (and incompatibility with recent AMD platforms), I wanted to check if there are any known issues...

Does anyone have direct experience with the STX-series sound cards on an Intel Z390/Z370 motherboard? Does it work well, are there any issues (cutouts/crashes), etc?

TIA

I'm running it on a B450 based Asus Mobo and it's fine. I'm not sure about those other chipsets though. You can always order it from Amazon and return it if it gives you problems. There's a review on Amazon that claims the card doesn't work with AM4 based AMD CPUs but I'm going to debunk that theory once I leave my review!

Shanester
Level 10
I'm running the STX II on a MAXIMUS XI EXTREME (Z390) and so far a like it. Installed and downloaded current software from ASUS. No problems so far. I was jamming last night I really liked the improved sounds I was hearing. I'll be testing it on gaming tonight and see how she does.

Shanester
Level 10
Update: So I ended up sending my STX II back. While the sound quality was improved, I just couldn't justify the cost of the card for those small improvements.