cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI formula massive Vdroop. Is this normal? What can i do?

Jaz11
Level 7
Hi

So i got my new expensive 9900k and maximus xi formula and have been playing with an overclock.

My chip seems good and stable at 5ghz all core 1.25v+ prime95 non avx load however my motherboard looks to have massive vdroop so i have to set the bios voltage very high to compensate.

If i set 1.37v bios LLC6 it droops to 1.26v under load. LLC7 still droops to 1.29v...

Screenshot: https://ibb.co/KVHgkQW

Is my board faulty? Or is this normal for formula/code (same vrm?)

Any help would be much appreciated 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello Jaz, that is perfectly normal and consistent with what your settings are. Raja has made a couple of very interesting replies re vdroop in another thread. You may find them useful.

I leave all my Speedstep and C states active so when my system processor is not being utilised 100% (9900K and Extreme board) my voltage of course drops to nearly nothing. 5GHz AUX on and I run at 1.224 vcore in CPUz. So really what is set in bios is not relevant to me when at rest or idle. What is relevent is vcore and temps under full load and at rest.

Nice system mate enjoy it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Ok thanks for puting my mind at ease. Seems a bit extreme. I see people posting their 9900k overclocks lower voltage and less vdroop. Although some are on other boards and brands.

Raja
Level 13

New bios just uploaded today. I will give it a go after work. Patch notes look promising but i doubt it will drastically change anything

"Version 0602
2018/10/318.52 MBytes
ROG MAXIMUS XI FORMULA BIOS 0602
- Improved system stability and performance.
- Updated Microcode for 8-core CPU.
- Improved DRAM stability.
- Fixed USB device issue."