cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z270-E, 7700k, Stuck at Full Turbo at Idle on Cold Boot

kgh00007
Level 7
Hey, I'm having an issue with my 7700k being stuck at max turbo x48 multiplier and max voltage upon cold boot. It never downclocks even if idle for a few hours.
If I restart, the CPU is no longer stuck at full turbo and will downclock when idle and bounce around the core ratios as usual.

I have reset my power plan to defaults, I'm using the balanced profile. On that first cold boot, selecting power saving or high performance profiles makes no difference, I've tried switching back and forth. Upon restart, balanced profile performs as normal.

The overclock is pretty modest to keep temps down and has been stable for over a year. It was tested with several 8hr+ HCI Memtest runs along with realbench and I have no reliability issues, it never crashes.

I have reset the BIOS to optimized defaults and reloaded my OC settings and I still have the same issue.

Anyone else having the same issue? Any suggestions on what I should do? Does this look like a BIOS issue or an OS issue?

Thanks!

7700k @ 4.8GHz, 1.232v Vcore, -2 AVX
Z270-E BIOS 1302
16GB 3600 CL16 Trident Z RAM @ stock & 1.35v
Strix GTX 1080 11Gbps, +40MHz GPU, +1000MHz Mem
500GB 850 EVO SSD
10 REPLIES 10

HiVizMan
Level 40
I am assuming you have AI Suite installed?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

kgh00007
Level 7
No actually, I don't have AI suite or Aura software installed. OC is done in the BIOS.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ok that is very odd then.

Would you be so kind as to list each BIOS change you have made please. You can post screen shot if that is easier.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Ok that is very odd then.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Out of interest what Power plan are you using in OS?

Might be worth while to simply reflash your bios as it is possible there may be a bit of scrambled code causing this. If the issue is after the handover to OS then software is to blame, often in the form of the OS power plan.

kgh00007
Level 7
The mystery continues, I have reflashed the BIOS and the issue continues.

I have also reset Windows power plans to default using the power options and by running 'powercfg -restoredefaultschemes' in command prompt.

Edit. Cold boot after turning off for an hour or so and the problem is there, CPU stuck on Max Turbo Ratio. Restart fixes this!

And I'm using the Balanced profile as stated in the first post!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hmm that is particularly strange especially considering the cpu only has a default max turbo of 45x

So if you have set bios defaults and it still does what it is doing I am frankly amazed.

kgh00007
Level 7
I'm not sure if you're reading my posts correctly. Thanks anyway for trying to help.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah I misread one part my friend. I saw you say you had the same problem with default and did not see the part where you had put your OC back in.

I do recall asking you to list all changes to the bios that you made. As far as I can see you did not respond to that request. Hence I think quiet naturally assumed you had made none.

But all good.

Save your profile in BIOS tools.
F5 in bios please. Reset to optimised defaults.
Set multi to sync all cores
Set 48

Do not change anything else.

F10 and boot into OS.

Once in OS power down completely. Then after a few minutes power up and tell me if your CPU is still sticking 48x and does not follow the intel Speed Step or C states protocols.

I apologise for not getting that you had reset the same OC. But lets see if we can get this mystery sorted now that I am on the same page. I would still like to see ALL changes made to bios please.