cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set USB as Primary Boot Device

sdamico
Level 7
Man, I'm in way over my head with this BIOS. First system build in a long time. I can't figure out how to change the boot order, so I can install windows from a USB drive. Can someone please point my dumb ass in the right direction? Appreciate any help or links to a good BIOS walk through.
3 REPLIES 3

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi sdamico 🙂

First obtain the Media Creation Tool (Download tool now) from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 and follow the guide.
Extract the ISO file to an empty FAT 32 USB (min 8GB)
Go into your Bios and set priority to the USB. (Boot menu) You can also spam F8 at the ASUS LOGO.
Insert the USB into any port.
Restart your system and follow the prompts.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello there.

OK once you have your USB drive ready to install Win10 all you have to do is the following.

Remove all hard drives from your motherboard.
Leave only the device you wish to install your OS too.

I assume the new drive is blank?

Connect USB drive and power on. You don't have to do anything the system will search for the boot sector and find your USB drive.

Follow the on screen instructions. Once completed the installation and all updates and what ever done. Power down and fit your other hard drive devices.

You may wonder why I say remove them before installation. Simple, Windows has a a habit of sticking the boot sector partition where it wants, and not where you want it namely on your new very fast storage device.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Hello there.

OK once you have your USB drive ready to install Win10 all you have to do is the following.

Remove all hard drives from your motherboard.
Leave only the device you wish to install your OS too.

I assume the new drive is blank?

Connect USB drive and power on. You don't have to do anything the system will search for the boot sector and find your USB drive.

Follow the on screen instructions. Once completed the installation and all updates and what ever done. Power down and fit your other hard drive devices.

You may wonder why I say remove them before installation. Simple, Windows has a a habit of sticking the boot sector partition where it wants, and not where you want it namely on your new very fast storage device.

Thank you, and thank you MeanMachine also. I should have mentioned more specifics, like I had a purchased win10 pro USB and I have 970 Pro in the M.2_1 and a 970 Evo in the M.2_2(not seeing this in the BIOS for some reason). I don't think moving the USB drive from the front of my case to MB made a difference, as I have case USBs plugged into the MB, but I booted up and it found the win10 USB. Doing the install now. I kept looking for a way to change the boot sequence in the BIOS as a way for the system to see the USB first instead of telling me to F1 for set up. It may have booted to the USB once I switched the CPU fan monitoring to ignore in the BIOS, as I kept getting that message upon boot because I have AIO cooler thats plugged into the AIO_pump (I assume that is where it should be plugged although I don't see any monitoring values for that in the BIOS). I'm guessing once I get win10 and other software all set, I should update my BIOS, which is on version 0401?