Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Desertum_0 View Post
    I use the Intel 900p as my main OS and then the Intel optane SSD 32GB stick to accelerate my spinners.

So far I have not tested the BIOS but there was a guy having issues with the Intel optane SSD (lets just call it spinner accelerator to avoid more confusion)
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

I was finally able to figure it out late into the night (stayed up way later than I wanted).

There were a couple things that finally worked out.

1) Originally, I was installing the Intel RST application and not installing the Intel Optane Specific application. Intel documentation states that Intel RST supports intel optane, but I found that not to be the case when first setting it up. When installing the Intel Optane application, it actually somehow took care of changing the BIOS setting from AHCI to Intel Rapid Storage (also selected both the PCIE and DIMM2 raid support as enabled). After first installing (with BIOS set to AHCI), the application stated that the BIOS setting needed to be change and to restart, so I let it restart and it booted successfully into windows. When I checked the BIOS setting, AHCI was changed to IRST. I'm not sure how that process worked to boot properly compared to simply changing the setting manually and it failing to boot.

2) When I was first installed the module, i had used Disk Manager to put a volume onto the optane module. I also did this while I was trying to get Intel RST application to detect the optane module unsuccessfully. I also did this before I realized that I had the wrong PCH Configuration setting of AHCI. Apparently this also caused detection of the module to fail once AHCI was changed to IRST in BIOS. It cannot have any data or volume information on the module before trying to enable it as an accelerator. This was further confirmed after I got it working on my secondary drive. As part of my upgrade i also installed a 1TB NVMe drive so I shadow copied my OS drive to a new NVMe drive and booted using the NVME drive. When I did that, something messed up with the Intel Optane module and the Intel Optane app would tell me no compatible drives were found. In the end I had to put BIOS back into AHCI, save, go back into BIOS and Secure Erase the Intel Optane module. Re-enable PCH Configuration > IRST and restart. Once I did that I was able to successfully reinstall the Intel Optane application which detected the module appropriately.

My secondary 6TB spinner is now being accelerated by Intel Optane 32GB module.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Did the new code in modded 1603 also fix temp increase like the previous mod you made tistou?

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array tistou77 PC Specs
    tistou77 PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    Processor7980XE @4.6Ghz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
    Sound CardXonar Phoebus
    MonitorDell U2417H
    Storage #1Intel M2 Optane 905P
    Storage #2Samsung 970 EVO Plus
    CPU CoolerWatercooling
    CaseLian Li A77F
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
    Keyboard Logitech LIK
    Mouse Logitech MX revolution
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by jsarver View Post
    Did the new code in modded 1603 also fix temp increase like the previous mod you made tistou?
    No, with microcode 57, always the temp increased and bad TJ Max
    Must keep the 1603 with the microcode 49

Intel is doing tests and must keep me informed
    Sorry for my english

Case: Lian Li A77F
    MB: Rampage VI Extreme
    CPU: i9 7980XE
    RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
    GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
    PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
    DATA: Samsung 970 EVO Plus
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Quote Originally Posted by Haans249 View Post
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

I was finally able to figure it out late into the night (stayed up way later than I wanted).

There were a couple things that finally worked out.

1) Originally, I was installing the Intel RST application and not installing the Intel Optane Specific application. Intel documentation states that Intel RST supports intel optane, but I found that not to be the case when first setting it up. When installing the Intel Optane application, it actually somehow took care of changing the BIOS setting from AHCI to Intel Rapid Storage (also selected both the PCIE and DIMM2 raid support as enabled). After first installing (with BIOS set to AHCI), the application stated that the BIOS setting needed to be change and to restart, so I let it restart and it booted successfully into windows. When I checked the BIOS setting, AHCI was changed to IRST. I'm not sure how that process worked to boot properly compared to simply changing the setting manually and it failing to boot.

2) When I was first installed the module, i had used Disk Manager to put a volume onto the optane module. I also did this while I was trying to get Intel RST application to detect the optane module unsuccessfully. I also did this before I realized that I had the wrong PCH Configuration setting of AHCI. Apparently this also caused detection of the module to fail once AHCI was changed to IRST in BIOS. It cannot have any data or volume information on the module before trying to enable it as an accelerator. This was further confirmed after I got it working on my secondary drive. As part of my upgrade i also installed a 1TB NVMe drive so I shadow copied my OS drive to a new NVMe drive and booted using the NVME drive. When I did that, something messed up with the Intel Optane module and the Intel Optane app would tell me no compatible drives were found. In the end I had to put BIOS back into AHCI, save, go back into BIOS and Secure Erase the Intel Optane module. Re-enable PCH Configuration > IRST and restart. Once I did that I was able to successfully reinstall the Intel Optane application which detected the module appropriately.

My secondary 6TB spinner is now being accelerated by Intel Optane 32GB module.
    Interesting to say the least seeing how intels specs state optane cache sticks will only operate on the drive where the OS is installed. I tried in vain on an older 7700K M9F and pulled my hair out then finally broke down and contacted intel who all but laughed at me saying it won’t work on ancillary drives, only C:\ and then only the primary partition.

Straight from their faq page.....

**What about combination systems, which use an SSD as a primary “OS” drive and a larger hard drive for more dense file storage? Sorry, no. Optane’s caching system only works with the primary OS drive, and even then, only the primary partition. You can install Optane memory in a desktop that uses both SSD and hard drive storage, but it won’t improve the speed of the secondary storage drive at all. Your money would be better spent on more RAM or a larger initial SSD if you’re building from scratch.*

Still not sure what this has to do with. BIOS 1603 *

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Interesting to say the least seeing how intels specs state optane cache sticks will only operate on the drive where the OS is installed. I tried in vain on an older 7700K M9F and pulled my hair out then finally broke down and contacted intel who all but laughed at me saying it won’t work on ancillary drives, only C:\ and then only the primary partition.

**What about combination systems, which use an SSD as a primary “OS” drive and a larger hard drive for more dense file storage? Sorry, no. Optane’s caching system only works with the primary OS drive, and even then, only the primary partition. You can install Optane memory in a desktop that uses both SSD and hard drive storage, but it won’t improve the speed of the secondary storage drive at all. Your money would be better spent on more RAM or a larger initial SSD if you’re building from scratch.*

WHen I wanted to do this I used Primocache instead. Not as fast as optane but when you put it on a Samsung 960, I'm betting you don't see a lot of difference. I stopped using Primocache or even RAMCache mainly for the reason I don't run anything off of the HDD any more. The HDD is purely for storage and the occasional reinstallation of an OS but that is usually a one off. I'm considering moving all my reinstallation files onto one of my 960pros for the future and leave the HDD to hold backup of games and such.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array restsugavan PC Specs
    restsugavan PC Specs
    MotherboardRAMPAGE VI EXTREME
    ProcessorCore i9 7980XE
    Memory (part number)64GB GSKILL TRIDENT-Z RGB 3200
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG POSEIDON 1080Ti
    MonitorSAMSUNG UD590D
    Storage #1INTEL600P 1TB
    Storage #2WD 4TB External HDD
    CPU CoolerNZXT KRAKEN 62
    CaseCorsair Carbine 540
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Microsoft
    Mouse Microsoft
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Sony
    OS Windows 10 2019 Insider Preview 19002.1
    Network RouterD-LINK

@tistou77 Intel EFI RAID 17.0.0.3720 availible now master. You may ask Sylar76 for update your 1603 modded. Have a nice day.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array tistou77 PC Specs
    tistou77 PC Specs
    Processor7980XE @4.6Ghz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
    Sound CardXonar Phoebus
    MonitorDell U2417H
    Storage #1Intel M2 Optane 905P
    Storage #2Samsung 970 EVO Plus
    CPU CoolerWatercooling
    CaseLian Li A77F
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
    Keyboard Logitech LIK
    Mouse Logitech MX revolution
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Yes I saw, thanks

I updated the EFI module (microcode 49)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q5O...oMDCqevQe09M0K
    Sorry for my english

Case: Lian Li A77F
    MB: Rampage VI Extreme
    CPU: i9 7980XE
    RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
    GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
    PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
    DATA: Samsung 970 EVO Plus
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post

The optane definitely works to accelerate a secondary harddrive. This was a change that was recently made by Intel to allow this to occur. You have to use app version 16.* and above. The current release is 16.8. Not sure if this does have anything to do with 1603, but with the updates in the BIOS to IRST, I suspect provided the ability to do accelerate a secondary drive. Even the Intel doc shows that X299 is not supported for secondary acceleration (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ne-memory.html), yet here I am, with my drive accelerated.

You may want to revisit your 7700K on your M9F to see if there might be a BIOS update and install Intel Optane Application version 16.8.

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

Quote Originally Posted by Haans249 View Post
    The optane definitely works to accelerate a secondary harddrive. This was a change that was recently made by Intel to allow this to occur. You have to use app version 16.* and above. The current release is 16.8. Not sure if this does have anything to do with 1603, but with the updates in the BIOS to IRST, I suspect provided the ability to do accelerate a secondary drive. Even the Intel doc shows that X299 is not supported for secondary acceleration (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ne-memory.html), yet here I am, with my drive accelerated.

You may want to revisit your 7700K on your M9F to see if there might be a BIOS update and install Intel Optane Application version 16.8.
    I guess thats good news for anyone still using spinners. The only thing in my house that uses spinners is my NAS with 18X 8TB WD red pros. Optane wont work in that though and the only expansion card slot is has is occupied by a dual 10GBe NIC

I was wondering i fthis had anything to do with 1603 as this thread is about BIOS 1603. Had my head spinning wondering what in the blazes an optane stick has to do with any bios on any board.

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

Quote Originally Posted by tistou77 View Post
    Yes I saw, thanks

I updated the EFI module (microcode 49)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q5O...oMDCqevQe09M0K

Can you guys be a but more descriptive for us flunkies. Its as if this is a PM window between you guys. Whats this link? You already posted a 49h microcode, Im running it.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast