cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my vccio voltage so high on auto. Brand new to overclocking.

Palmonte88
Level 7
My setup: -ASUS ROG Strix Z390-e
*-I7 8700k
*-32gb tridentZ RGB 3200mhz ram (8gb x4)
-Coolermaster ma620p dual tower dual fan air cooler (massive)
-850watt 80+gold Thermaltake PSU
-ASUS gtx 1060 6gb
*-phanteks Enthoo pro case
-2x 250gb Samsung 970 evo m.2 ssd in raid 0 for boot drive
-1x 500gb 850ev0 ssd
-1x 6tb toshiba hdd

*And what I did was
*-enable XMP_II
*-sync all cores
-And set the multiplier to 47
*Left all other settings on auto

**Why would my VCCIO be so high?
Is it because of the 4 sticks of ram?
And are any of my other voltages too high or unsafe?
*I don’t really know much about the technical settings and what each one actually does.
This is my first time overclocking and my first system build in 10 years.
I wanted a basic and safe overclock so I settled for 4.7ghz but left everything else alone.
*Any knowledge on what each voltage setting actually correlate to would Be greatly appreciated.
*And any advice on changes I should make Would be even more appreciated.*

If image doesn’t show my vccio voltage is 1.328 to 1.344*

*http://tinypic.com/r/2mh66wo/9

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
21 REPLIES 21

HiVizMan
Level 40
How are you measuring that voltage?

Sadly I am unable to see any image.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
How are you measuring that voltage?

Sadly I am unable to see any image.

if you click the tinypic link you should see it.. but i will attach a snippping tool image that i will take right now for more updated values.
its just a screenshot of HWmonitor that i took after the computer ran normally for a little while, no stressing it or anything like that.

The vccio is set on auto usually runs at about 1.344volts. is that ok or am i risking the longevity of my system or any of its components with it running at this voltage. i see people saying it should be like 1.2 1.25 but i never changed anything except enable xmp2, sync all cores, and set multiplier to 47 for a 4.7ghz all core OC on my 8700k

from what ive read VCCIO seems high, is it because i have all 4 DIMMS in use with 3200mhz TridentZ RGB ram?
should i change vccio from auto to manual and set a voltage?
and if i change it to a manual set voltage what should i set it to?
what does VCCIO voltage correlate to? does it even have anything to do with the ram?

Also i understand that there is margin of error with monitoring software, but im sure its not saying 1.344 and running at like 1.2 thats a pretty big margin of error.
I have seen other people questioning certain voltages being high when set to auto or using the AI overclocking features (which i did not use) especially on these new z390 boards (mine is the ASUS ROG strix Z390-E Gaming)

this is my first time overclocking and i just want to be sure that i don't need to change any other settings in my UEFI.
I'm not looking to push any limits at all, i just wanted a safe and simple mild overclock.
I basically left everything the way it was or on auto except
1.enabling the xmp2 profile and setting it to match my RAMs rating of 3200mhz,
2. changed the setting to sync all cores
3. changed multiplier to 47 for an all core 4.7ghz OC.
i then ran a benchmark or 2 and everything was and is still working fine. But will it continue to do so if i don't make some other changes? and if other things need to be done to ensure its longevity and safety what are those things?

also please tell me if any other voltages or info you can see in my pic is alarming or needs to be addressed.

thank you very much for any help that any of you can give to a noob first time overclocker. it will be greatly appreciated.

x-rated
Level 8
from my own experience use hwinfo https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ for more accurate readings, for example temperatures in hwmonitor are way lower for some reason in my case
my maximus xi formula pushed SA voltage to 1,41V, IO was something like 1,35V so i lowered them to default values manually (0,95 IO / 1,05 SA) and everything works fine with 4x g.skill @ 3,6 GHz, you should lower those values as much as possible too

jab383
Level 13
ASUS, and the other motherboard makers, set up their automatic profiles to be darn sure your rig works. The voltages are set to work with as many CPUs as possible. As a result, voltages like Vccio in this case and often Vcore run higher than actually needed for one specific CPU, RAM and OC profile. None of the voltages in your pictures are alarming.

You can always manually tune any setting to your own satisfaction, but that's going farther than new overclockers are normally comfortable with. In case you are interested, here is a suggestion. The same concept can also be applied to Vccsa and Vcore.

Try lowering Vccio in .02 volt steps and run benchmarks at each step. The rig will tell you when you've gone too far -- by crashing in a benchmark. My 8600Ks and 8700Ks and RAM pushed well beyond XMP work with Vccio under 1.30.

jab383 wrote:
ASUS, and the other motherboard makers, set up their automatic profiles to be darn sure your rig works. The voltages are set to work with as many CPUs as possible. As a result, voltages like Vccio in this case and often Vcore run higher than actually needed for one specific CPU, RAM and OC profile. None of the voltages in your pictures are alarming.

You can always manually tune any setting to your own satisfaction, but that's going farther than new overclockers are normally comfortable with. In case you are interested, here is a suggestion. The same concept can also be applied to Vccsa and Vcore.

Try lowering Vccio in .02 volt steps and run benchmarks at each step. The rig will tell you when you've gone too far -- by crashing in a benchmark. My 8600Ks and 8700Ks and RAM pushed well beyond XMP work with Vccio under 1.30.

Difference is, doesn't matter if my VCCIO and VCCSA are at 1.4+ my XMP profiles aren't reliable with my system using G.Skill 4266Mhz, despite the RAM I have is listed on the motherboard QVL Listing. I've been able to run 3900Mhz at 16-16-37 2T using 1.4v VCCSA showing 1.28v and VCCIO showing 1.23v in HWInfo (and bios, despite the bios setting). I tried tinkering again the other night with 4266Mhz, but the whole system gets crazy unstable, I suspect it's the 9900k and it's 5.1Ghz (4.7Ghz ring) overclock.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please feel free to fine tune your system, that is what ROG boards are designed for after all user optimisation. Lower the voltages and set manual, adaptive or what ever configuration you feel most comfortable with. I would simply drop the voltages that are worrying you a touch and run ROGRealbench twice. If pass drop voltage futher, rinse repeat till you have a fail in the benchmark. Then bump up the voltage to the previous setting that did pass. Only make one change at a time that helps you know what the cause of any instability is. Multiple changes leave to many options...
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

jab383
Level 13
The combination of RAM, CPU, PCH, motherboard layout and voltage settings has to be right to get RAM to run over about 4000MHz. There can be a sweet spot for Vccio and Vccsa and I suspect 1.4v is above that spot.

My G.Skill 4266 RAM has 1.40 Vdimm in its XMP. I found that it really needs 1.50 volts with Vccsa and Vccio in the 1.30 range. I suggest trying a little higher Vdimm to get the RAM to work at its highest clock. Step up to that voltage to see what it really needs. That's probably a lot of reboots and manual tuning. If you like that stuff, go for it.

Also see
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101819-DDR4-4400-vs-4133

You might not want to go to 4266 MHz. There might be tighter timing and higher bandwidth available at 3900 to 4133MHz than at XMP. Getting that extra bandwidth will take some manual tuning, though.

Ok so I know it’s been some time since I’ve been back to this thread but I have an update on a scary experience (for me anyway) that happened when trying to lower my vccio and vccsa voltages. * *
Someone replied to my reddit post about the same topic and said my vccio and vccsa were borderline dangerous and to lower them to 1.1-1.125v.
Personally I thought that was a drastic amount to lower them by. *So what I did was lower them slightly. * *
If I remember correctly i changed the vccio from auto which was reading (1.344) to manual and set it to somewhere between 1.2 and 1.3 *as opposed to the reddit suggested 1.1v.
I did the same to vccsa, set to manual and just lowered it slightly to 1.2 from the auto setting which was reading like 1.22-1.25.
I F10 saved and tried to reboot.
My system (which is basically brand new) began an endless loop of trying to start, couldn’t post, and I was unable to get into bios to change anything back as it just kept starting and restarting, no amount of F2 or F5 spamming or del spamming would let me enter bios. * * *

What I ended up doing (because I wasn’t too sure about how to use the cmos jumper or what it even does) was remove the small watch type battery wait a few min, plug everything back in. And restart. *

After 2-3 cycles of the computer attempting to start it finally did and I was able to get into bios where everything seemed to be set back to stock. * At this point it was very late and after a scare like that I just left it all alone except putting the xmp2 profile back on so my ram would run at 3200mhz. *
Other than that I’m back to square one with all stock settings and honestly a little scared to make any changes. *
Originally I was very happy with the first all core 4.7ghz OC with everything set on auto. Until someone said it was dangerous to run vccio and vccsa at such high voltages and that I needed to dial them back. * * *

*So my ?’s : * What did I do wrong? *Did I lower the vccio to much to fast? *
Why Did my system go into endless cycle of trying to boot and not be able to get into uefi? * *
Did I have to remove that battery or could the cmos jumper have fixed my issue? * *
Also side note *the ”memok” *switch is set to on by default. *Should I switch it to off when doing these changes?

And lastly since lowering those SA and IO voltages was clearly an issue, *would it be ok to set everything back the way I had it, with the only changes being sync all cores to 47 and enabling xmp2? *Are those IO and SA voltages really too high? Or can I just set it back the way I had it and be happy with a safe and basic OC (Btw my vcore highest voltage seen was like 1.305 or 1.315 something like that).*

ThAnks in advance to anyone willing to take the time to help a noob such as myself. *It is much appreciated. * *

x-rated
Level 8
if you end up with bootloop, which is nothing unusual, just hold power button for 6 seconds and after shutdown start pc again 🙂 this should work, if not, reset cmos
what did you wrong is hard to say, that io and sa voltage should work fine, you have to try again and again until you find what suits your cpu and memory
your default io and sa voltages are quite high for just 3,2 GHz modules, but if this works... when i enabled xmp for my 3,6 GHz modules, my auto values were about 1,4V 😄 this is really high for my taste, but since asus bios is designed to act like this, i dont think even 1,4V is "death" value (now i am @ 4266 MHz and io & sa slightly above 1,3V)
it is up to you if you wanna play more with such settings or just leave it as it is 🙂 but remember: more voltage -> more heat
btw great tool for memory stability testing is y-cruncher (which also tests avx2 stability)