cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTX 2070 - Buzzing Noise Under Load

Dennis_L
Level 7
Hi,

My Rog Strix 2070 oc edition has buzzing noise under load.
With premium components on the card, i expect there should be no noise.
Anyone else with Rog Strix 2070 oc experience buzzing?
Is this considered a defect?

I'm running a Corsair Ax860 psu for reference.

Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

Menthol
Level 14
Dennis L, can you please list all of your components, and what load you are experiencing this buzz please. Have you checked the Nvidia forums for users with similar experience, even though the cards have differences they will be very similar

Thanks for your response.

I experience the buzzing noise during full load. It seems the higher the core frequency, the louder it is. This isn't the high pitch whine that changes sound with fps.

My question: is every Rog strix 2070 oc like this?

Pc spec:
Maximus hero vii
8gb ram
Samsung ssd 500gb
Corsair ax860

Dennis L wrote:
Thanks for your response.

I experience the buzzing noise during full load. It seems the higher the core frequency, the louder it is. This isn't the high pitch whine that changes sound with fps.

My question: is every Rog strix 2070 oc like this?

Pc spec:
Maximus hero vii
8gb ram
Samsung ssd 500gb
Corsair ax860

Have you figured out what is wrong? I have basically the same setup (Vii Hero, 4790k, 16gb RAM) as you and am experiencing the same thing as you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwGmBoPFCHg. I have a Corsair RM750X as my PSU. For me, it sounds like the noise is coming from the VRMs on the Motherboard, though it is hard for me to tell if that's exactly the case. If i listen from the back of the motherboard, it sounds like it is either coming from the CPU mount area or the black cover to the right of the CPU mount.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Sounds like you're referring to the chokes. All cards will make audible buzzing under load, especially if the cooler is quiet.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Sounds like you're referring to the chokes. All cards will make audible buzzing under load, especially if the cooler is quiet.

Do you think it is worth me returning the card and getting a replacement? I am still within Amazon's return range, so I could send it back.

Also, could it be possible that the VRM's on my motherboard could be making the noise? As much as I want to say it is the GPU, I ran my older MSi GTX 970 and reproduced the noise. It doesn't sound like it is directly coming from the GPU, sounding like it is coming from the VRMs next to the CPU. I initially thought it was the CPU cooler, but it didn't make sense since the noise is only present during direct load.

I also updated my BIOS recently to the most recent one available for Maximus VII Hero. I'm thinking of rolling back to the 2014 one I had previously. The noise was not present regardless of what GPU I ran with the system with that BIOS.

Sorry for rambling!

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

I had a similar issue recently with my ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC, I thought it was my graphics card, but finally no, it was my PSU Corsair TX850M (850W) that was doing these buzzing noise. I contacted Corsair, they took into account my request for RMA, they told me that it was a issue known to them and they exchanged the PSU without problem, because they corrected the problem in the factory.

They sent me the new PSU (still Corsair TX850M), since, it's well, no noise !

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

I had a similar issue recently with my ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC, I thought it was my graphics card, but finally no, it was my PSU Corsair TX850M (850W) that was doing these buzzing noise. I contacted Corsair, they took into account my request for RMA, they told me that it was a issue known to them and they exchanged the PSU without problem, because they corrected the problem in the factory.

They sent me the new PSU (still Corsair TX850M), since, it's well, no noise !

I too am wondering if it could be my PSU, but I took it out of my case and ran my system and the noise was coming out of the inside of my case, so I don't think the PSU is my issue.

Dennis_L
Level 7
Hi,

I have returned the card but I haven't tried another RTX 2070.
I find it interesting you experience the same "slight" buzz noise during load with your MSI GTX 970, because I also experience the same thing from my old reference GTX 780.
In my case, the noise don't come from CPU vrm area, it is more like the GPU area.
At this point, maybe you should try the older BIOS version and let us know.

The common thing we have is the Maximus Vii Hero, so I'm thinking it is a mobo issue.

Thanks

Dennis L wrote:
Hi,

I have returned the card but I haven't tried another RTX 2070.
I find it interesting you experience the same "slight" buzz noise during load with your MSI GTX 970, because I also experience the same thing from my old reference GTX 780.
In my case, the noise don't come from CPU vrm area, it is more like the GPU area.
At this point, maybe you should try the older BIOS version and let us know.

The common thing we have is the Maximus Vii Hero, so I'm thinking it is a mobo issue.

Thanks

Right, definitely what I am thinking of doing if it gets too annoying. However, I do not want to return it if that isn't what my issue. Just out of curiosity, which BIOS version are you running? I am currently on 3201 since it is the most recent BIOS that is not in BETA. 3503 BETA also had the buzzing issue, so I downloaded the 3201 version.

Thanks,

Jack