cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory OC

nufc179
Level 7
Im running a I7 7770K OC at 4.8g with the XMP my memory is 16g 3200MHz at 3.5v & that's what im running it as every fine no problems here's the timings as well
Is it worth trying to OC the memory & if so how would i go about doing it
13 REPLIES 13

Menthol
Level 14
Can you please list all your hardware specs and what you use your PC for. Memory overclocking can be tricky business and I personally am not the best at it. The gains are really very minor if successful, OS corruption can happen very quickly when unsuccessful

nufc179
Level 7
just gaming i think ill just leave it alone it's running fine at 3200mkz with 3.5v thanks 4 the reply anyway

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
One of the simplest things you can try, is to change command rate to 1T. See if that sticks.

Test the RAM with RealBench (make sure to select total amount installed for stress test) and or HCI memtest (open enough instances of the freeware to cover RAM)

Or if you don't mind paying the bestt RAM test software is Karhu RAMTest

Oh, by the way...I hope you mean 1.35V 😉

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
One of the simplest things you can try, is to change command rate to 1T. See if that sticks.

Test the RAM with RealBench (make sure to select total amount installed for stress test) and or HCI memtest (open enough instances of the freeware to cover RAM)

Or if you don't mind paying, the best RAM test software is Karhu RAMTest

Oh, by the way...I hope you mean 1.35V 😉

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Just a note, aswell - If using Ramtest, 200-300% coverage should be enough for a gaming system. It's a brutal test of stability.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

jab383
Level 13
First, the XMP profile is actually overclocking. The JEDEC settings in the CPU-Z pictures are the "normal" or "guaranteed" speeds. It's real easy to call up XMP and enjoy a good overclocked profile.

Second, Corsair DRAM often has some headroom for additional clock frequency and/or tighter timings. The drawback is the need to tune manually.

As Arne suggested, CR is an important setting - it's involved with every transaction between CPU and RAM. Try reducing it to 1T in BIOS and make that the only change. Boot and check stability.

Timing can be tuned by going down the list in BIOS reducing the counts one at a time in step of one. Reboot and test, rinse and repeat.

Make only one change at a time so the culprit is obvious when the rig goes unstable -- when, not if. Make friends with the power button, clearing CMOS and saving profiles.

nufc179
Level 7
Hi thanks 4 the reply about this im just getting a bit confused about XMP do i use manual or use the XMP profile to see if i can get a better OC with it on just because i got the Karhu RAMTest Arne suggested i got to 340% with XMP on & with 1T before a error. With it off i got to 2000% with no error this is were im getting confused you say Timing can be tuned by going down the list in BIOS reducing the counts one at a time is that just the primary timings ect like my is 16/18/18/36 just because the 2nd & 3rd timings numbers are lower anyway with the XMP off the on
Anyway iv tested with it off & with 1T at 15/18/18/36 with no errors with RAMTest & pushed the v up to 1.355v just a bit confused about the 2nd & 3rd timings in the bios
Thanks Stephen

nufc179
Level 7
Update iv got to No XMP @ 15/17/17/35 @ 1.360v running @ 3300MHz RealBench pass no problem with a RealBench Stress test 15mins Pass with a Karhu RAMTest 1000% with no errors
Thanks Alot

Menthol
Level 14
Wow you've done very well, great job, enjoy that system