cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load line calibration differences series vs series

Jaz11
Level 7
When looking into load line calibration i have noticed motherboards do it 2 different ways

1: voltage is lower in idle and boosted up under load eg 1.3v idle - 1.37 load

2: voltage is higher and droops under load eg 1.37v idle - drops to 1.3v under load.

Why is this? Can you change this in bios? I have example 2 but would prefer the lower voltage then extra under load...
3 REPLIES 3

jab383
Level 13
You don't list a model of motherboard, so I'll try to answer generally.

ASUS ROG motherboards have LLC selections, most often in a Power Control sub-window. The choices are usually numbered from 1 through 8. Lower numbers droop more. LLC 7 is usually close to flat. LLC 8 is the small rise you are looking for.

Falkentyne
Level 12
Jaz11 wrote:
When looking into load line calibration i have noticed motherboards do it 2 different ways

1: voltage is lower in idle and boosted up under load eg 1.3v idle - 1.37 load

2: voltage is higher and droops under load eg 1.37v idle - drops to 1.3v under load.

Why is this? Can you change this in bios? I have example 2 but would prefer the lower voltage then extra under load...

This is extremely complicated, but having a voltage of 1.3 idle and 1.37v load when on MANUAL (not automatic or adaptive) voltages is completely impossible.
This would imply a NEGATIVE loadline, and loadlines are based on resistance. Resistances can only go down to 0 mOhms (no vdroop). it's not possible with any controller to have a negative resistance. A 0 mOhm loadline will have a flat slope (but with high (possibly dangerous at higher voltages) transient overshoots you MUST use an oscilloscope to pick up), meaning the idle vcore and load vcore will be exactly the same.

Sensors however CAN be affected by resistances, causing the reported voltage value to rise under load at higher loadline calibration levels. How much this rises depends on where the voltage read points are. Even a digital multimeter can show vrise if it is reading from a point affected by resistance.

The maximus XI line has the SIO voltage sensors recalibrated to match the CPU on-die sense, which is the true voltage reading. So you will see a lot more vdroop at lower LLC levels because the real voltage will be reported, and no voltage rise (<16mv) at the highest LLC level (0 mOhm loadline).

Read this by an Asus employee who knows what he's talking about 🙂

https://www.overclock.net/forum/27686004-post2664.html

HiVizMan
Level 40
Suspect you mean to use the term previous employee sadly Elmor has moved to a new challenge and no longer works for Asus.

Very good read I agree mate.

Have repped you for a great post.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.