cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Screen after POST, Reboot then fine.

Beauzinga_1
Level 7
Hello,

I seem to be having an issue when booting up my computer from a shutdown state.

When the computer is in it’s shutdown state and then powered on, the computer will boot, POST and then start to load into Windows 10 when all of a sudden the display will lose signal but the computer will still be running. When I force shutdown and turn it on again it will boot into Windows 10 fine. (Please see attached video showing the issue.)

Please note: Nothing is overclocked everything is running a stock. BIOS Version 1603

Things that I have troubleshooted:

• Updated/Downgraded BIOS (New:1603 Old:1503)
  • Clear CMOS
  • Unplug/Plug Graphics Cards, Memory, SSD (M.2)
  • Updated/Downgraded Graphic Card Drivers
  • Clean Install of Windows 10 Pro
  • Used different display ports on the graphic card/ switched them around too.
  • Windows updated all installed
  • ASUS Drivers all installed

If anyone is able help or suggest anything that I have missed that would be greatly appreciated.

Computer Specifications:
Intel Core i7-7820X Skylake-X
ASUS X299 ROG Rampage VI Extreme
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD (OS)
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD (Games)
Corsair Digital ATX1200i
Windows 10™ Professional Edition
Acer Predator XB271HU 27” G-Sync IPS 2560x1440 @ 165Hz
21 REPLIES 21

Beauzinga_1
Level 7
So it turns out that if I remove my ROG DIMM.2 Expansion card that is holding my Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD it fixes the booting issue.

Would anyone know how I can have two M.2's running at the same time?
1x Samsung 960 EVO 250 M.2 SSD (OS)
1x Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD (Games)

I have the Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD in the slot M.2_1(SOCKET3) on the ROG DIMM.2 Expansion card. If I move it to the M.2_2(SOCKET3) Windows and the BIOS will no longer recognise it.

Thanks,

cekeu
Level 12
I can't help you, however I've noticed since installing Windows 10 1809 a problem for Windows to boot the first time after turning on the computer. It must reboot twice before loading the operating system.
I have a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD in the slot M.2_1(SOCKET3) only.

Samsung NVME driver causes "internal power error" on resume in win10 1809 and a problem for Windows to boot the first time after turning on the computer
After uninstalling the Samsung driver for the SSD NVMe PCIe x4 Everything came back in order.
The standard NVM Express controller provided by Windows 10 version 1809 works perfectly

Samsung NVME driver causes "internal power error" on resume in win10 1809 and a problem for Windows to boot the first time after turning on the computer
After uninstalling the Samsung driver for the SSD NVMe PCIe x4 Everything came back in order.
The standard NVM Express controller provided by Windows 10 version 1809 works perfectly

Geekslayer
Level 7
Beauzinga wrote:
Hello,

When the computer is in it’s shutdown state and then powered on, the computer will boot, POST and then start to load into Windows 10 when all of a sudden the display will lose signal but the computer will still be running. When I force shutdown and turn it on again it will boot into Windows 10 fine. (Please see attached video showing the issue.)

It looks like it's failing when it's reading the hybernation file. Open en elevated PowerShell window and type powercfg /h off and reboot.

Geekslayer wrote:
Beauzinga wrote:
Hello,

It looks like it's failing when it's reading the hybernation file. Open en elevated PowerShell window and type powercfg /h off and reboot.

Going to Boot menu on BIOS then disable CSM module loaded to enter full UEFI mode. You’ll boot fine.*
W11CANARY 26080.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.76 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

Hey,

None of them worked for me. Do you think it would be because my CPU is only a 28 PCIe Lane?

I only have 2x Graphic Cards and 2x M.2 SSD's.

Thanks,

Geekslayer
Level 7
1. The board should work it out, how are your video cards setup in the BIOS 16x/8x or 8x/8x?
2. Did you have both M.2 drives installed when you installed the OS ?.... maybe try taking one out and install ?
3. When I first create my partitions on the drives, I always make sure I create the boot drive first.
4. Try assigning an M.2 to PCH to test ?
5. Maybe you'll have to Diskpart (Or secure Erase) and wipe the partitions from the drives, and start over ?

Geekslayer wrote:
1. The board should work it out, how are your video cards setup in the BIOS 16x/8x or 8x/8x?
2. Did you have both M.2 drives installed when you installed the OS ?.... maybe try taking one out and install ?
3. When I first create my partitions on the drives, I always make sure I create the boot drive first.
4. Try assigning an M.2 to PCH to test ?
5. Maybe you'll have to Diskpart (Or secure Erase) and wipe the partitions from the drives, and start over ?

1. I have tried installing Windows 10 Pro with 1 and 2 M.2 SSD's installed.
2. When I do a clean Install of Windows 10 Pro, I reformat my SSD in the Windows 10 Installer via SHIFT+F10 Disk-part, list disk, clean. Then I select the Samsung 250GB SSD and click on Next. (Should I have applied first than next?)
3. Tried that, didn't do anything.
4. Used Disk-part via Windows Installer.

Below are some photos of some setting from in my BIOS, hopefully that helps.

Graphic Cards

Boot Order

CSM

Onboard Devices Config

CPU Storage Config

Also,

Screenshot of Disk Management

Thanks,

Geekslayer
Level 7
1. You don't really need CSM, unless you have a pre 2015 Nvidia/AMD card.
2. I'm assuming all drives are GPT partitions ?
3. Look under secure boot and select Windows UEFI, make sure other is not selected.
4. Have you tried installing windows on the other SSD ?
5. Maybe disable fast boot ?