cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus XI Extreme won't post with Ram over 3600Mhz

Cypther
Level 7
I got my Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme Z390 a few days ago, I'm trying to get the XMP profile to work on the motherboard, but anything over 3600Mhz the system won't post, it will start up, than shut down, does this 3 times and post again saying "Posted in Safe mode". My G.Skill ram does 3866Mhz XMP no problem on my Asus Apex X without any issues and I got it as high as 4133Mhz.

I'm using the same CPU as before the 9900k on my Apex X and same ram. Now I can't get anything over 3600Mhz on the Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme to work, but it will work at 3600Mhz or less.

On my Asus Apex X, 3866Mhz XMP works with CPU VCCIO at 1.0 voltage, 1.1 voltage System Agent Voltage on Tweak Mode 1.

The ram I am using: G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3866C

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3866c18d-32gtzr

It's 2x16GB 3866MHz 18-18-18-38

I tried the same settings as the Apex on the Extreme as well, but it doesn't work.

These are what I tried so far on the Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme:

Update to the the newest bios 0602:
increase Dram Voltage to 1.40 from the default XMP of 1.35
increase CPU VCCIO Voltage to 1.2V
increase CPU System Agent Voltage to 1.25V
disable MCH full check
Tried Tweak Mode 1 and Tweak Mode 2
I also tried XMP I and XMP II, still didn't boot.

Also the ram are placed in A2 and B2 memory slot.

Any ideas why the ram won't post over 3600Mhz or work on the Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme above that speed? Or why 3866Mhz works on the Apex X but not the XI Extreme, exact same everything as before, CPU, ram, power supply, cooler, M.2 and video card, pretty much a motherboard swap. Need help.
10 REPLIES 10

Arczi43
Level 7
I have exact same problem with F4-4266C19D-16GTZR
| CPU: i9 9900k + NZXT Kraken x62
| MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme
| RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4, 4x8GB, 4000MHz
| GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 ROG STRIX
| SSD1: Samsung 970 PRO 512GB
| SSD2: Crucial MX200 500 GB
| SSD3: Micron 1100 1TB
| PSU: Corsair RM Series™ RM850
| CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X RGB
| KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB
| MOUSE: Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum + ASUS ROG GM50
| MONITOR: Acer XB270H Abprz
| OS: Windows 10 PRO x64

Arczi43 wrote:
I have exact same problem with F4-4266C19D-16GTZR

Similar issues with this ram on my Z390-E, if it does boot, it fails memory tests... Support here will blame it on our IMC's, but I dunno about all that.

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
Similar issues with this ram on my Z390-E, if it does boot, it fails memory tests... Support here will blame it on our IMC's, but I dunno about all that.

I mean no disrespect, but I must ask. Do you (and those on this thread with issues) understand what a QVL is?

mdzcpa wrote:
I mean no disrespect, but I must ask. Do you (and those on this thread with issues) understand what a QVL is?

Means nothing but text in a PDF document, ram I have is on the list, and doesn't work as the advertised speed. Also, I'm running 4 sticks, not 2.

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
Means nothing but text in a PDF document, ram I have is on the list, and doesn't work as the advertised speed. Also, I'm running 4 sticks, not 2.

The F4-4266C19D-16GTZR Arczi43 listed is a 2 DIMM kit as per Gskill specs. When you said "similar issues with this ram" while quoting Arczi43 meant that you were running the same ram.

If you are, then I suppose you are running 2 kits together for 4 sticks, which as you likely know is not recommended. This memory is also NOT on the Gskill QVL for and Asus Z390 motherboard other than the Gene. This memory is also NOT on the Z390-E QVL.

If you are actually running another part number, maybe you can share that.

I have same problem with F4-3600C17D-32GTZR, and Hero XI.
Hero XI is in G.SKILL's QVL: http://prntscr.com/lqhb1y
But when I try to enable XMP, MB sets 3500 @ 1.45V.
BIOS 0602
If I use XMP settings in manual mode and memok=off, I'm getting random errors in hci memtest and testmem5 in long time tests.

Curious if this is still an on-going issue with everyone. I set my computer to XMP I or XMP II for my memory and tell it to AI Decide processor speeds.

I'm running MAXIMUS XI EXTREME with the latest 903 BIOS, I9-9900K processor, and F4-3733C17Q-64GTZR G.Skill Memory.

When I boot, I get a dead load where the BIOS doesn't post. When I hold reset and it restarts, the system posts saying (summarized) successful overclock. So I press F1 boot into the BIOS. My BIOS settings are what I left them at. So I just click save and exit.

When the system reboots, everything works fine. It runs for hours after post without issues and passes all stress tests.

When I shut the computer down, the cycle repeats itself.

mdzcpa
Level 12
I am suspecting the problem is that these are 2 DIMM kits and that the Extreme's T-Topology design is best for 4 populated DIMMs slots. I see that both of those kits are not qualified on the GSKILL QVL for the XI Extreme. I do see the Gene listed as Qualified for the F4-4266C19D-16GTZR which I assume is due to the Gene XI 2 DIMM layout.

I suspect there may be some settings that can get these to run better on the 4 DIMM boards. Sorry to say I don't know what those would be.

einsindrei
Level 10
i have also excat problem with corsair 3666mhz ddr4 dominator platinum se ram. With 3400mhz it post without any issues