cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required bios settings for Samsung 970 evo Nvme M.2 SSD

Dave500
Level 7
Hi, my current os win7 is installed on to a SATA SSD, i am planning to migrate by cloning a disk image and recovering it to the 970 Evo, i have read some conflicting information Samsung driver installation PDF suggests that raid mode in the pch should be disabled but i have read elsewhere it has to be enabled to get the full performance from the PCIe lanes? can anyone tell me what settings in the system bios i need to change, before i do this, current system disk boots in legacy MBR mode, so that will also require to be converted to uefi /gpt and of course will need to be bootable
6 REPLIES 6

davemon50
Level 11
What you read was likely about some advantages of running RAID with two SSD's like your 970. You only have one.

In the end if you get an option in the Boot sequence to start up with the SSD or with UEFI Windows Boot Manager, then select the boot manager.
Davemon50

Hi, I created a full system image on to a sata ssd, installed the 970evo Nvme drive onto the board , i have installed both MS hotfixes for win7 that add native support for NVME, and the samsung nvme driver my o/s is installed using legacy bios (MBR) and i'm aware that nvme drives only boot using uefi

So installed Win 10 ADK and it's PE addon, and used the Acronis TI MPV builder tool to build a Bootable USB recovery image with drivers Intel RST and the Samsung Nvme to that win PE based image on to a usb flash drive to enable me to recover the os image to the nvme ssd , By booting the usb flash drive in eufi mode will allow recovery on to the new nvme, and convert the MBR to eufi

My problem is i'm stuck with the bios settings needed, here is what i was told i should to to enable this, problem is that those directions don't appear to be correct
as one step the required option isn't present in that menu?

I have tried several different settings but the USB will not fully load the Acronis recovery GUI it stops at the Wellcome initial MVP screen, in the last attempt i set CSM to disabled and lost video ouput And had to clear the cmos to see the bios again to restore my original boot settings

In your bios in Advanced Setup. Click the Advanced tab then, PCH Storage Configuration

Verify SATA controller is set to - Enabled
Set SATA Mode to - RAID

Go back one screen then, select Onboard Device Configuration.

Set SATA Mode Configuration to - SATA Express

Go back one screen. Click on the Boot tab then, scroll down the page to CSM. Click on it to go to next screen.

Set Launch CSM to - Disabled
Set Boot Device Control to - UEFI only
Boot from Network devices can be anything.
Set Boot from Storage Devices to - UEFI only
Set Boot from PCI-E PCI Expansion Devices to - UEFI only

Go back one screen. Click on Secure Boot to go to next screen.

Set Secure Boot state to - Disabled
Set OS Type to - Windows UEFI mode

Go back one screen. Look for Boot Option Priorities - Boot Option 1. Click on the down arrow in the outlined box to the right and look for your flash drive. It should be preceded by UEFI, (example UEFI Sandisk Cruzer). Select it so that it appears in this box.

If i try and follow the above i get to the part in bigger type , no such option exists in that menu

Does anyone know how i should set up the bios to allow me to do what i'm trying to do?
Motherboard Is ASUS MAXIMUS HERO VIII btw

neotokyo
Level 7
Isn't Raid mode in the bios for SATA drives? NVME is a different protocol.

Dave500
Level 7
What nobody done this before or does no one read these forums now?

I too am struggling with trying to upgrade a small Sandisk SATA SSD Windows 10 System Drive with a new, larger SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus NVMe M.2. Days and Days of searching for why/how to replace the old SATA SSD with the new PCIE/NVMe SSD; it fails to boot. My BIOS SATA MODE Selection = AHCI with the old SATA SSD in the M.2 2280 slot. I cannot find anything in the BIOS settings pages that lists anything about M.2 configuration, I cannot find any choices like AUTO/SATA or PCIE Modes. My system is GL753VE, it has only one M.2 slot and one SATA 2.5" slot. It seems everything works fine going from SATA SSD to SATA SSD, but, does not work going from SATA SSD to PCIe/NVMe. Macrium has something called Re-Deploy that might possibly work if you are willing pay for it and take that chance for probably just a one-time use. If it was something that might be used more frequently, it might be worth the price if it actually works.

I am struggling with this as well. Although I was unaware of this, in my opinion, pry-bar method to get in the Samsung storage controller driver. Damn. I successfully cloned the original FX0505GT Micron SSD to a larger Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme M.2 SSD. Thought I could just replace the drivers like the old days. lol. NOPE. In talking to Asus Tech support they said the Samsung EVO is the only SSD not recommended. The SSD is working, but with the wrong storage controller driver until I can figure this out. After the fact and if it's at all possible, after the fact, to install.

Never mind. I got it to work. I almost pooched the whole thing, almost got in a reboot loop, and finally crammed that Samsung Driver in. Damn, how convoluted.