cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Extreme clearance issue on Evolv X

MorePower
Level 8
I have some clearance issues with the Evolv X and the Maximus XI Extreme. The case is E-ATX compatible but the RGB back plate sticks out just enough to touch those slanted braces (red line). Can I removed that entire RGB backplate without having any issues with the other RGB lighting on the board?

19 REPLIES 19

Feklar
Level 8
MorePower wrote:
I have some clearance issues with the Evolv X and the Maximus XI Extreme. The case is E-ATX compatible but the RGB back plate sticks out just enough to touch those slanted braces (red line). Can I removed that entire RGB backplate without having any issues with the other RGB lighting on the board?

I have the same case and same motherboard and do not have any clearance issue at all and I didn't remove the backplate. The maximum width that Evolv X can accommodate is 284mm. I got this directly from Phanteks. The Maximus Xi Extreme is 277mm. You should have no problem at all.

i9 12900k + Asus Maximus Z690 Apex + EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000l XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK+ Samsung 870 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Fractal Meshify 2 XL case
Ek Velocity 2 CPU block, Ek GPU block
Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
LG 38GL950G Monitor +
Windows 10 Pro

Feklar wrote:
I have the same case and same motherboard and do not have any clearance issue at all and I didn't remove the backplate. The maximum width that Evolv X can accommodate is 284mm. I got this directly from Phanteks. The Maximus Xi Extreme is 277mm. You should have no problem at all.

That's interesting. I really don't see how you could get it to fully rest on the back 3 standoffs (closest to the RGB strip). Those braces must be touching the backside of the RGB plate. Are you sure the motherboard is not flexing for you to tighten down the 3 screws?

Yes I would also like to see some closeup photos of the RGB side next to the case. I will post some soon and show you the clearance.

mdzcpa
Level 12
I was thinking of trying out the Extreme, but was concerned about fitment in my Evolv X. I'm curious as to how this resolved. Feklar, would you mind throwing up a pic or 2 of how that Extreme looks in your case?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Id mod the case before messing with a MOBO. This is why I like building in nice roomy cases. The case is normally the last consideration of my builds. Spec out hardware and what its going to take to cool it then go looking for what Im going to put it in. I like this case but it wont hold two 480mm rads. Im actually looking for a way to add more rads to get me down a bit cooler as with what I have now once I load it down the coolant temp doesnt take long to rise and fans to ramp to pretty much max or close and stay there.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

This is how it looks like. I don't really want to start chopping up a new case. As you can see there is some flex near the end. What do you guys think, anything to worry about?

Feklar
Level 8
It's not an issue at all. Check Phanteks site for the Evolv X and look at the photos. There're using a Zenith Extreme which is the same size. Mine is working for over a month perfectly. No modification necessary.

G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000l XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK+ Samsung 870 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
LG 38GL950G Monitor +
Windows 10 Pro

Feklar wrote:
It's not an issue at all. Check Phanteks site for the Evolv X and look at the photos. There're using a Zenith Extreme which is the same size. Mine is working for over a month perfectly. No modification necessary.

Thats wierd, ive had mad problems getting my m11e working in the phanteks case. It wouldnt even boot at all since the backplate shorted something out (exactly same problem as the other guys pictures show).

It was possible to remove the plate (and rgb's with it) to get it to work. I ended up covering the entire plate with 3m vehichle wrap foil since i had some left after a car build, i also covered the affected places in the case and now it seems to work, rgb's and all.

I do wonder tho if the shorting might have permanetly damaged something in my mobo? havent been able to test it with a gpu and in windows yet.

fLxXx wrote:
Thats wierd, ive had mad problems getting my m11e working in the phanteks case. It wouldnt even boot at all since the backplate shorted something out (exactly same problem as the other guys pictures show).

It was possible to remove the plate (and rgb's with it) to get it to work. I ended up covering the entire plate with 3m vehichle wrap foil since i had some left after a car build, i also covered the affected places in the case and now it seems to work, rgb's and all.

I do wonder tho if the shorting might have permanetly damaged something in my mobo? havent been able to test it with a gpu and in windows yet.

I seriously doubt the issue you are having is due to the backplate shorting something out as you describe. More likely the cause is different. Even if the backplate does touch the metal brace (which it appears to do) no shorting should occur. I's a backplate for stability and some cooling with leds attached but it's not a live circuit. As I said I have mine installed and running perfectly at 5Ghz on all cores. Never a single shutdown error or anything. I have a few photos as well.774287742977430

LG 38GL950G Monitor +
Windows 10 Pro

Feklar wrote:
I seriously doubt the issue you are having is due to the backplate shorting something out as you describe. More likely the cause is different. Even if the backplate does touch the metal brace (which it appears to do) no shorting should occur. I's a backplate for stability and some cooling with leds attached but it's not a live circuit. As I said I have mine installed and running perfectly at 5Ghz on all cores. Never a single shutdown error or anything. I have a few photos as well.

I believed the same thing, the backplate shouldnt lead to a short.

However the mobo didnt work in the case, but it worked outside it. It did work when i lifted the right side, then shorted as soon as i let it touch the case. It also worked fine in the case when i unscrewed the backplate and leds. After i wrapped the plate and right hand side in the case in 3m foil as insulation it also seems to work fine.

What happend when it shorted was that all rgb leds would stay lit on mobo, but the only thing that would happen when trying to boot was fans twitching half a turn and rgb on ram lighting up. No post, no qled, no anything else.

Im 100% sure it is the backplate shorting on the chassi. But the reason why i cant tell.